pyrenees june 07

TED 1972

Reaction score
Having read ebbos post im booking our trip to the pyrenees in june, but not sure whether to use santander or bilbao . We have booked three weeks off so no rush but do need to spend approx 8/9 days in pompadour france too see my parents.

Not an epic adventure i know but it is for my wife who has been subject to weeks of intensive persuading, anyway got a green light. So wanted to make as painless as possible for her! Anyone got a good route from bilbao directly over the mountains with a good hotel of two on the way?
Is bilbao a bad route?
Any help gladly accepted .
Ps still need 2 panniers!

Hah me to.

Last week of June first week of July after much pleading SWMBO will make the trip as well (as I will be 50 on June 30th)

Bob

Santander v Bilbao?

It depends on your priorities.

If you want to make a decent impression on your wife, then Santander because Brittany Ferries are very good (but not cheap).

The western end of the Pyrenees are nice but not as spectacular as the central and eastern end.

Santander boat is one night on board, Portsmouth is 2 nights. Only done the Santander, was great. Check what you'd save on P&O fare v. extra meals needed and petrol if applicable.
Nice to go along the Pyrenees and end up in Carcassonne then into southern France, over to Ales, see Pont Du Gard, then north to Mende, great chaterdral, then over through Tarn Gorge to see Milleau bridge, then back to Santander through west Pyrenees, recommend Hotel Bristol in Oloron St Marie.,
Bin

was thinkin of riding bike threw france but that might be a good route certainly more scenic :thumb

Hehe, it looks to be like the next GS bike meet! Im off to the foothills of the 'nees (french side) for 3 weeks in April. Taking the missus. Gonna be a hoot as we're riding through Franch taking 'the scenic route' :)

if your taking the missus then why not tkae the bilboa ferry-ends up two nights but actually one and a half days aboard the boat-the wife will think shes on a cruise. Also youll have 70 miles less to travel to the pyrennes than from Santander.

I did the trip two years ago, and will also be joining in as i have presuaded the missus to jump on the back and will follow ebbos course to Tossa de Mar for a two week holiday in middle of june (we went to black forest, lauterbrunnen in switzerland and Mosel valley last year on the gs):bounce1

As long as you can get around and see what you want to see then does the boat really matter? We go to the Pyrenees now and again and as it is just down the road from us we try to go a different way every time, sometimes we don't even get that far as we find something more interesting on the way. This picture shows the beach on the bay if Biscay and was taken in May.
Yes I know that they are not GS's but I can't reach the ground on a GS!
pyrenees080.jpg

Don't go. The Pyrennes are crap - just take a look at this (sorry about the size) I mean who in their right mind would want to go there?

Cheers

Mark

PS I've done Bilbao twice because it suits my leaving times etc, and it's fine.

30dknqa.jpg

I'm going this year but not sure how early is reliable. I know the passes open in the Alps in late May - anyone know what its like in the Pyrennees and when is the earlist you could comfortably camp?

As long as you can get around and see what you want to see then does the boat really matter? We go to the Pyrenees now and again and as it is just down the road from us we try to go a different way every time, sometimes we don't even get that far as we find something more interesting on the way. This picture shows the beach on the bay if Biscay and was taken in May.
Yes I know that they are not GS's but I can't reach the ground on a GS!
pyrenees080.jpg

Don't apologise to this mob :eek: - they'll see it as a sign of weakness.:confused:

The 1100s is a brilliant sports/touring machine with a strong following.

I've got a BoxerCup Replika myself and love it :thumb

Al:D
Do you use "madman" on the boxertrix site??

I'm going this year but not sure how early is reliable. I know the passes open in the Alps in late May - anyone know what its like in the Pyrennees and when is the earlist you could comfortably camp?
This was late April 2005.
47332650-M.jpg

I was camping. Two days before and there was no snow except on the highest peaks. Overnight it started with really heavy hail, enough to build up on the top of my tent and cause it to sag quite alarmingly. By the morning there was snow banked up the side of the tent from the howling wind (when I stopped to take the above photo, the wind nearly blew me off the bike!).

Most of the road down into France was clear except in the shade where there was an inch or two still.

Plymouth Santander for me and my buddies in June. Going to be busy down there this year I reckon.

I'll be the one overtaking you on the blue & orange KTM :D

no doubt theyre ill have hand brake on back ;) ps ive got some spare room in my panniers {when i buy them} so if you want some spare parts taking for your KTM just let me know , not carrying chains and split links though to greasy , but no problem with electrical parts .

I will be going on 1st june portsmouth to bilbao.The plan is 3 days in picos,
then across pyrenees on n260 to ripoli.Then its back into france using roads
D618/D918 to the heart of the pyrenees.From here i will head for calais to
catch the ferry home.

Blackal, I use the name madman wherever I can! I was a nickname given to me when I was flying microlights - say no more about that one.

Back
Top Bottom