Going to Norway in July 2007?

LivNorway

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If so, we, me and Knut (k-nut) are waiting for you here 24th July!
We are going to stay here for two nights, hoping to meet friends on two wheels.:thumb

DFDS does not sail to Kristiansand anymore, so Newcastle-Stavanger/Haugesund/Bergen are the best option for sailing to Norway now.
You could sail Harwich-Esbjerg too...

C U! :beerjug:
Liv.

Attachments

• Flåm city.jpg
    Flåm city.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 773
There are a camp site, hytter (cabins), a hostel, expensive & not that expensive hotels, appartements - and you can put up your tent for free in the forest! :)

-Where?
Trust me, it's perfect for all Tossers! :D

:) Liv.

Attachments

• Flåm Queen Mary utsikt snøfjell 49kb.jpg
    Flåm Queen Mary utsikt snøfjell 49kb.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 728
Man, I love Norway :bounce1

Every time I see a photo I just want to get on a ferry!
I'm just waiting to see if my girlie is going to pass her bike test then we'll be aiming to come across to Norway in August...via Denmark and probably Sweden.
If she doesn't pass I'll be coming on my own:clap
...so long as she lets me :spitfire !!!

I'm there with you greencat. Each photo i see, it gets better and better. you should have a look this blokes web site. Amazing
Enjoy...:bounce1

;) Call DFDS!
The sooner the better - the last one who get a ticket are going to pay more for it then the first one - that is the DFDS-system. You have to pay DFDS one month before you are leaving Newcastle, and to cansell it before that is free.
You do NOT pay ME anything.

My system?
All of you find a way to get to Flåm, you pick your dates for the ferry, and meet us at Flåm!
All decide theirselfes where to stay and for how many days/nights, and pick a hotel or a campsite or simular, pick where to ride yourselfes, BUT we are hoping you are going to stay two nights in Flåm (somewhere in Flåm - pick a place!) and want to meet us, and perhaps ride with us in the area.
Knut and I are going to stay at Fretheim Hotel two nights from Thuesday 24th July, but you can stay anywhere in Flåm you like.

Flåm are next to Aurland, and Aurland is where E16 and Rv.50 meets. Not far from Gudvangen/Nærøyfjorden and Sognefjell/Turtagrø/Fortun - in the south west part of Norway.
If you ride Øvre Årdal-Turtagrø you'll see the highest mountains in Norway, and if you turn left in Lom you can ride up to Dalsnibba and look down at Geiranger.

If you ride from Gudvangen to Flåm you are going to ride some long thunnels, and the longest thunnel are Lærdalstunnelen, after Flåm.
If the weather are good please do not ride the Lærdalstunnelen but find the old road on top of it - and I think I can guarantee some snow close to the road (good tarmac, not a GS-road for the Morocco-guys only!)!

If you are afraid of hights and steep bendy roads, then just have a close look at a good map (1:300 000) and find ''safe'' roads.
If you get claustrofobia in thunnels, then I think you have a problem... There are roads for you with only short thunnels, but a ''no-thunnel-holiday'' in Norway, in that area, is not easy to make.

-Does my system seem to be OK?
All do what they want when they want, but if you ''just happend to be in Flåm'' when we are there, we are going to love it!:thumb

All pictures so far in this thread are Flåm!

Attachments

• Flåm kaia retning vest ser fjell med snø 43kb.jpg
    Flåm kaia retning vest ser fjell med snø 43kb.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 686
Here's a place to start surfing in the area we'll be in:
http://www.eventyrveien.no/servlets/dispatcher?siteNodeId=439231&languageId=2

After reading a lot of holidayreports from you here,I was thinking; -why not tell all of you where&when we are going for our holiday, and hope you can adjust your dates and meet us at Flåm! :bounce1
So all of you make your route, bring a tent or spend money in hotels, ride where you want, but try to fit Flåm in your route.
In Flåm there are hotels, a hostel, appartements, hytter/huts/cabins, a campsite - no matter in what way you want to spend a night or two, there is a suitable house/place for it in Flåm!

Knut and I will be at Fretheim Hotell for two nights, from Tuesday 24 July.
I picked that dates because that way you can go to the boat event in Arendal the weekend before, see teams like ''Spirits of Norway'' go really fast, perhaps meet some Arab oilsheiks, and then ride to Flåm and brag about it! :beer:

But no matter what time in the summer you want to go Norway, the area in the link are for a good area, if you ask most tourists.

See you in Flåm, I hope! :beer:
Liv.

Attachments

• Liv på CS ved foss  vinker Eksingedalrunden 64kb.jpg
    Liv på CS ved foss vinker Eksingedalrunden 64kb.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 660
If you want a room at Fretheim Hotell of Heimly Pensjonat in Flåm you better e-mail or call now;
when I booked the rooms for me and Knut they told me there was not many rooms left.
But in Flåm there are more hotels and rooms, so if any bed will do, then I guess there are no problem. :)
No matter where you find a place to sleep in Flåm we are in a walkingdistance to each other and a beer!

If you have some trouble with our letters Æ, Ø and Å, read this:
Æ æ = you can write AE if there are no Æ.
Ø ø = you can write OE or O.
Å å = you can write AA or A.
For searching for Flåm you can write Aurland or Aurlandsvangen as that are near by.
..or read my old thread here at ''Travel'' called ''Norway Norway Norway'' = a lot of info and links for Norway!

CU I hope! :beer:

The picture; Fretheim Hotel, Flåm, in February 2004.

Attachments

• Fretheim Hotel, Flåm febr-04.jpg
    Fretheim Hotel, Flåm febr-04.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 632
Here are a couple pictures I took in Flam last July

122862330-L.jpg

122862336-L.jpg

Al...

Ah...:thumb
No wind, low cloads/dots of fog are good weather in that area; -it could have been rain & windy. But often there are sun too, so bring sunglasses! :)

You picture are useful too me!
On the left, behind those small red cabins, there is a long, big white house; Heimly Pensjonat.
The red cabins are not at the campsite/hostel-area; the campsite, the train station and Fretheim Hotel are far right, outside the picture.
In your picture, far right, there are a big white house (lookin new) with a big partytent in front of it; I'm 99% sure that are appartements for tourists. If you are in a group of people and want to stay for some days, and make meals yourselfes, that is a good option. But two people for one night, that are expensive.

In Flåm they call the red cabins for hytter, but up in Lofoten islands they call that type of cabins for rorbu.
A real rorbu is a small house where the fishermens keep their gear and fishingnet. There are a hole in the floor to drop in the fjord whats left of the fish after they have attached parts of fish to the net as a bait for the bigger fishes.
The rorbu the tourists are renting are often new, no hole in the floor, and there has never been fishing grear inside it, and there are beds and things a cabin in a campsite often content.
Rorbu are wery popular, but not the cheapest ''roof&bed'' for one night, so most of them are for families and for more then one night.

''Rorbuferie'' = holiday in a rorbu.

I make a guess here....
I guess it takes ca.15 minutes to walk from Heimly Pensjonat (on the left in the picture), passing Fretheim Hotel, crossing the river, and see if there are any GS'er at the campsite/hostel. Flåm City are big - bring your GPS!;)

Perhaps you'll go back, Al? Please tell me if you do! :beer:

Oh, I'll definitely be back.... likely in the camper with the wife and dog next time again... but I'll be back... The place is in my blood.

The Place we stayed in July is the long white building behind the red ones on the left. Decent enough place if I remember correctly... basic but as always clean and tidy...

Al...

Here's some webcameraes showing the Lofoten islands:
http://www.lofotposten.no/webkamera/

Now we have two more hours of sun in Oslo then we had in the darkest day, ca.22 December!
But up at Nordkapp there are still no sun.
It's dark up there now...
Further south, in Lofoten, there are not much sun but there are some daylight for a few hours.

A small island called Steigen in the Bodø/Lofoten area had some stormy days, and after that they have not had electrisity. No power for the stove for cooking food, no power for hot water in the shower, no power for surfing the internet...
But there are hope! They are hoping for electrisity this afternoon after 6 days!

They have the Northern Lights so there is no need of entertaining from the TV or the internet... :beer: And I guess the beer is cold!

The story here:
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1621134.ece

The pic:
Tromsø.

Attachments

• W Tromsø UITutsikt kl1119 15-12-06.jpg
    W Tromsø UITutsikt kl1119 15-12-06.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 569
Liv

Will be there in August but not on the bike, in the 2CV !!!!!!!!!

Off to Sweden for the world 2cv Meeting and then up to North Kapp and down Norway, any must see places since our last visit back in 83.

2CV!
Meet me at Tyrigrava in August and lets have a race; 2cv - Vespa Bravo! Jiiii-ha! :bounce1
Write ''tyrigrava'' in the search box on the top of the page and get more info!

I'll be there!
www.tyrigrava.no

Here I am!

Attachments

• Theodor på Tyrigrava-05, foran huset og Liv..jpg
    Theodor på Tyrigrava-05, foran huset og Liv..jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 561
question Liv

What are the 'rules' on fishing in Norway?
Dop you need a licence? etc
Cheers

(have you fed the 'knut' today? :aidan

What are the 'rules' on fishing in Norway?
Dop you need a licence? etc
Cheers

(have you fed the 'knut' today? :aidan

Hi!

Here's food! http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article1622512.ece It's an article about reindeers and oil. Totally off topic! :p
(Knut is/are not ''the knut'' - he's Knut! Never heard of King Knut/Canute? )

Fishing!
Nothing wrong with the canned fish or the frozen fish and it's easy to get! :thumb2

I'm not familiar with the rules, but there are rules.
In small lakes sometimes you need to buy a card for the area and only go for fishing in some periods of the year.
For some rivers you need to buy a card too, but I don't know how the system works.
I can try to find a link for you!

If you throw out a line from the ferry perhaps you get something big to feed you for a week! A whale or something like that... :p

KNUTS are all the rage!

Interesting name! Seems to be very popular as was once derived from Old Norse knútr meaning "knot". Knut was a Danish prince who defeated Æðelred II, king of England, in the early 11th century and became the ruler of Denmark, Norway and England. :eek: :blast :D
So having a name like Knut is steeped in history and cannot be his undoing... :D

or course there are other Knuts around.....
Knut Pedersen Hamsun, a Nobel Prize Laureate in Literature, at the Nobel Prize Internet Archive.:bow
Knut Vaage, Composer
and even Knut, the first polar bear to be born in the animal park in over 30 years in Berlin.
Seems to me there are more Knuts than meets the eye ;)
Best keep feeding him though! you did say he wasn't a happy Knut when hungry!!:augie :D :D

Interesting name! Seems to be very popular as was once derived from Old Norse knútr meaning "knot". Knut was a Danish prince who defeated Æðelred II, king of England, in the early 11th century and became the ruler of Denmark, Norway and England. :eek: :blast :D
So having a name like Knut is steeped in history and cannot be his undoing... :D

or course there are other Knuts around.....
Knut Pedersen Hamsun, a Nobel Prize Laureate in Literature, at the Nobel Prize Internet Archive.:bow
Knut Vaage, Composer
and even Knut, the first polar bear to be born in the animal park in over 30 years in Berlin.
Seems to me there are more Knuts than meets the eye ;)
Best keep feeding him though! you did say he wasn't a happy Knut when hungry!!:augie :D :D
Get over here so I can hit you with your fishing rod!;) :p
OK, I forgot to ask around for the fishing rools, but I'll do it, yes I'll ask for the rools for you, OK?:)
We're having pizza tonight, his favorit, so I guess he's are going to be happy!

Now, get over here and camp for free in the nature, and meet us at Flåm!
Sell your watch and GPS and anything anyone want to pay for and call DFDS! :bounce1
You know the language so you can easily melt a heart here and get inside at a farm if needed.;)

Get over here so I can hit you with your fishing rod!;) :p
OK, I forgot to ask around for the fishing rools, but I'll do it, yes I'll ask for the rools for you, OK?:)
We're having pizza tonight, his favorit, so I guess he's are going to be happy!

Now, get over here and camp for free in the nature, and meet us at Flåm!
Sell your watch and GPS and anything anyone want to pay for and call DFDS! :bounce1
You know the language so you can easily melt a heart here and get inside at a farm if needed.;)

Sorry Liv...... I've already sold my watches and heaps of other bits to pay for my second mission to SOS Village in Mali.
DFDS will have to wait.
Soooooooooooo glad you're feeding 'king' Knut 2 nite;) -

Well, I'll be at Flåm in July, but if you prefer winter so klick at
Primustreff
Krystallrally and
Vårmønstring
at Baard's site here; http://www.otc-mc.org/~197/tur/ and see some pictures.
Me? Yes, I was at Vedsamleren 2006; the same place in the forest as Primustreffet! http://www.otc-mc.org/~197/vedsamlern_2006/ Do you see the blue Scarver and the black suit&grey helmet? That's me!

There are many pictures showing Baard's family and what he like to do.
And there are some pictures celebrating Pål Anders Ullevålseter homecoming from Dakar rally.

Back
Top Bottom