Stop guessing, new toy's here: GARMIN 2610/2650

Weep

Cannot really see much advantage at the moment except the use of a Compact Flash (although the don't say which type the PDF file does indicate Microdrives can be used so this implies type II) which will allow more memory for storing the maps. :)

They do however only reference USB1.1 so any Apple users can forget it :(

There is no increase in the number of routes and waypoints so it looks like that is using the same internal memory store as the SPIII and therefore likely you will still have to download maps and routes seperately for speed. :(

The level of accuracy has improved. It is difficult to tell from the Spec sheet what changes have been applied to the firmware to improve. Although there is no change in the accuracy figures indicated. :eek:

The screen display has actually decreased 3.3x1.7 from SPIII 3.4x1.8 :(

The weight has gone down from 635g to 420g :eek:

There seems two versions (2610 & 2650). Only the 2650 has "dead reckoning" which looks like it will remove that sudden loss of signal destroying your routing in city "canyons" just when you most need it. However the spec sheet implies that an extra capable is required to support "dead reckoning" so that may be difficult for motorcycle users!!! :(

They still use Mapsource so there is no change there in the cartography capability. :(

However the remote control will be really useful and all motorcycle riders should upgrade just for that capability!!!:D

But really the message should be for those who don't have an SPIII.... now you will be able to get one really cheaper... :beerjug:

Actually considering the time since the SPIII launch this does not seem a major breakthrough...:confused: :eek:

Attachments

• sp2610pict.jpg
    sp2610pict.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 241
Dead reckoning

Did not read it all..

"To achieve dead reckoning, the 2650 features an internal angular rate sensor, an external speed sensor input, and an external reverse light sensor input. (Please note: The StreetPilot 2650 can only be purchased through auhorized installation dealers because the product requires a connection to a vehicle's speedometer and backup lights. Customers will not be able to buy this product over the counter or install it themselves"

Given the accuracy of the BMW speedo that is the end of Dead Reckoning.....:beerjug:

The things I do miss on the SPIII are:

* CF type I and II memory cards, much cheaper and compatible with other stuff (digital camera, PDA, laptop, ...)

* Touchscreen (seems a lot easier than pushing buttons with gloves on)

* LCD display with ambient light sensitive backlight

* USB connectivity, should be a lot faster for loading routes / waypoints

We'll see what happens when these things get on the road...

I don't think that I'll be too upset.

The CF format is useful since you can buy a 128Mb CF card for just £21, and they are now available up to 1 Gb.

The Dead Reckoning feature could help for those very few occassions when the SPIII loses satellite reception, but the downside is that it has to be dealer mounted to your vehicle and I don't suppose that Garmin have addressed cable-driven speedos.

Greg

Will touchscreen work ?

Hey

Ever tried to use touchscreen equipment with gloves on?

From my experience they need flesh as a conductor. Gloves do not work.

Could be interesting on a bike then.

Streetpilot

Well, the waiting over and this is it, Touch screen and remote control… :-(
Still, what do you want from a GPS, bigger screen would be nice, plug in qwerty keyboard could be useful. Oh well, it might bring down the price of the Streetpilot 3 even further and as far as I can see that the only real advantage :)

Streetpilot 3 full kit @ Costco Leeds £704 my buddy just bought one.

Greg Masters said:
I don't think that I'll be too upset.

The CF format is useful since you can buy a 128Mb CF card for just £21, and they are now available up to 1 Gb.

The Dead Reckoning feature could help for those very few occassions when the SPIII loses satellite reception, but the downside is that it has to be dealer mounted to your vehicle and I don't suppose that Garmin have addressed cable-driven speedos.

Greg
Jeez I read as....

"downside is that it has to have dealer mounted to your vehicle"

...... now that would be interesting

Re: Will touchscreen work ?

Swooper said:
Ever tried to use touchscreen equipment with gloves on?
From my experience they need flesh as a conductor. Gloves do not work.
Could be interesting on a bike then.
The touchscreen on my pda certainly works fine with gloves or whatever. Does what is says: touch it and it works, doesn't matter what with.
As long as you don't need to point at to exact a spot, I think touchscreen control will be much easier with gloves than the SPIII buttons. They work fine with summer gloves, but in winter outfit I do have a problem with 'em.

AdamZ said:
Jeez I read as....
"downside is that it has to have dealer mounted to your vehicle"
...... now that would be interesting
That's for the 2650 with dead reckoning. The 2610 doesn't have that feature and doesn't need "expert installation".

Re: Re: Will touchscreen work ?

MiGSel said:

That's for the 2650 with dead reckoning. The 2610 doesn't have that feature and doesn't need "expert installation".

I really am not sure that the 2650/2610 is a significant advance.

Yes it might have a faster processor - although I seldom have difficulty with the SPIII except sometimes in screen redraw. The route calculation can be slow, depending upon the distance to go and number of waypoints.

And the memory card will ease the current 128Mb restriction - so with the new card you would be able to fit all of the UK and Ireland on one card. More reasonably is that you could probably now fit Northern Europe on one card.

I would not upgrade from the SPIII (and that is saying something as I normally upgrade my PC every 18 months).

To me I would far rather have a more uptodate Mapsource - I am sure that Garmin can make more money on that than shipping hardware...

Back
Top Bottom