XR 400s Road legal, or are there things to look for?

Warthog

Reaction score
Reliving bike trips whilst sat at my desk....
Now that I'm back, I'm still considering putting a 400 Supermoto together and the XR seems to have inspired me: not sure why, but there you go.

Spoke to a Honda dealer recently and they explained that as standard, these were not road legal, and if pulled, there might be some explaining.
This true?
If so what should i look for on a used bike to avoid another big expense on necessary mods?

I don't know what the dealer is on about,saying they are not road legal...
does he mean XR's are not legal or supermoto's..:nenau

Spoke to a Honda dealer recently and they explained that as standard, these were not road legal, and if pulled, there might be some explaining.
This true?

XR's were never sold by Honda as road bikes so needed a kit to legally ride them on the road. As for what should you be looking for on a used bike that's a difficult one to fully answer but anything with a fresh MOT would be a good start :thumb

Yes, XRs were not sold as road bikes but that works in your favour at MoT time.
Since indicators were not fitted as standard they do not need to be fitted to make it legal on the road and it meets all other requirements.:)

If your MoT tester says otherwise it maybe he has misinterpreted the wording of the MoT guidlines.

BUT I do know there were a few changes in recent years.

I do believe that indicators are not a legal requirement on enduro bikes or trail bikes if the pillion footrests have been removed. I never had indicators on my 93 Dyna Wideglide (despite being a requirement by law) as I convinced my MOT tester that off road vehicles didn't need them and as a Harley is a tractor that made it indicator exempt :D

The Xr was sold in recent year's with a indicator switch on the Bar's,and the wiring in place,so it's a easy job to fit them.
It does have a head light with main and dip beam,which is a must for the MOT.
They do come with a horn, and do not need a chain guard unless you fit pillion foot peg's

The only problem I see is that the speedo is in KMP Instead of MPH,this can be fixed by fitting MPH converter at the rear of the speedo drive,or cheaper by useing a sticker kit marking the outside of the clock in MPH.
The latter I have done on my last 3 XR's and never had a problem when the bike as needed a MOT.

I should think that you are likely to have problem's with the mot if..you have a loud none legel exhaust or Tyre's markerd "Not for road use" .

I should think that you are likely to have problem's with the mot if..you have a loud none legel exhaust or Tyre's markerd "Not for road use" .

Fortunately, I only intend to have the rider labelled "Not for Road Use"....

Pillion facilities are a must, though. Although I use most of my bikes alone, I don't want to have to exclude the young lady from the fun.

It may be that I opt for another Dommie....
Still, I think the XR makes almost the same power and its is 116kg dry....mmmmmm.
Decisions, decisions...

Pillion facilities are a must, though. Although I use most of my bikes alone, I don't want to have to exclude the young lady from the fun.

Decisions, decisions...

No question re trail bikes, either the young lady gets her own bike or.......stays at home:thumb

I have been looking into fitting pillion foot pegs on my XR ....but will the light weight alloy sub frame be up to the extra weight :confused:

If You can get a back issue of TBM Number 119 from July 05,there is a report on What is needed for a MOT on a Trail Bike.

I think you will find that the Xrs are classed as a single seat enduro bike..
You can buy bolt on rear footpegs but i dont think they would be 100% Legal :nono
What about a Suzuki DRZ 400 you can buy them as a supermoto .

Back
Top Bottom