David Ervine RIP

Bin Ridin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Very interesting to hear the comments on David Irvine and his considerable contribution to peace in NI.

In an interview earlier this year, he said that solving issues like NI and the Basque struggle is about people thinking about what they want for their kids, not for themsleves. That is a great insight in my opinion. If only the Israeli / Palestine players could be made to see it....

Another quote:

"You must understand that we in Northern Ireland would drive 100 miles out of our way to receive an insult" !!

I look forward to his biography.

David Ervine... i liked listening to him because he could spin any news and events his way.... only person IMO to make Gerry Adams look amateur at spin doctoring:D

I admired the man and his no bullshit analysis of the political situation here. I may not always have agreed with him but respected him and his poltical beliefs in the same way that he was willing to accept those of other folk diametrically opposed to him. Oh that we had more like him here. :(

Bin, I have a copy of his biography here somewhere. Must have a wee look for it and post the details.

I always had time for him simply because he seemed to be one of the few 'terrorist turned politicians' who 1, openly admitted his past and 2, seemed to advocate consensus.

He also seemed less liable to to see everything in sectarian terms too.

I always had time for him simply because he seemed to be one of the few 'terrorist turned politicians' who 1, openly admitted his past and 2, seemed to advocate consensus.

He also seemed less liable to to see everything in sectarian terms too.

Yep, couldn't have said it better. The only politition here who actually made sense in this mad country.

Always struck me as one of the more intelligent terrorist come politicians around - never envied his job.

Always had a scary side to him though :yikes

R.I.P

As the violence fades, the North is fielding some great players, well able for Westminster plum-in-gobs and the Dail Hicks!!
DE seems to have been one of the finest.

Will Dr. No say Yes?

We have the Sphinx of Drumcondra here on a visit to Riyadh next week. Woo-hoo!!

A man I admired also, he could honestly admit to his "inappropriate" past (he never tried to air brush it away) yet passionately sought out a new way for furthering the interests of his community; other that the tactics of Doctor No. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a pop at big Ian but David cut directly to what could be done. Nobody really cares about what you can't do. David can now do no more, may he Rest In Peace. May Ulster & Ireland enjoy peace. An honest peace where we don't have to reject our respective heritages yet find room to allow for the open expression of other cultural perspectives. More David Ervines would facilitate that.

I am invited to a lecture he is giving on Ireland and the Middle East, will be interesting to hear his word-mangling at first hand. Actually, I think he is not too bad, some balls-ups for sure, but run-rate not bad.

The voting machine thing - the effin things are being used elsewhere, we seem to have been f''ked over by some anal goms.

It would be nice to think of an alternative to Bertie but who is there, I ask you? In the valley of the blind, the one eyed man is king, or something like that.

Bin

Back
Top Bottom