Fancying a go at trials - again

GSAde

Reaction score
I used to be pretty trick at this in my teens & early 20's (expert class) & quite fancying a go again, now in early 50's :eek: but reasonably fit.

Any of you out there into this sport at the moment? What I've seen recently (Sheffield arena couple of years back) trials looks more like trick riding these days, what are the actual Club /Centre trials like? Bought a copy of Trials & MX News today, bikes now 2 or 4 stroke, any advice on what type / brand to go for? I know it's very much up to personal choice (always rode Bultaco's in the past myself) but any advice gratefully received on rideability / durability / home serviceability etc.

Thanks in anticipation

Ade

Beta 250 rev (Italian) is a cracking bike, but it depends on your budget, the new Rev 4 stroke is awesome, but cost about £4500 and you might have problems getting hold of one, but as a clubman/expert rider IMHO this is the bike to go for. Montesa are the Honda of the Trials world (they do own the company and are branded Honda in Japan) but only sell 4 strokes. Scorpa are built in france and are partly owned by Yamaha. Gas Gas and Sherco (Sherco are the new Bultaco's) are Spanish and IMO not as reliable as Monts and Beta`s but still very good bikes. Home maintance is generally perfectly within the reach of most competent owners although the 4 strokes require alot of oil changes.

There are plenty of clubs and an event to ride virtually every weekend. Expert riders tend to be young lads and a few guys that have been around for quite awhile i.e. 15 - 20 years and its a completely different riding style from, With Due Respect, your youth. Clubman is a more enjoyable class to ride in, but you may find the routes a little easy. I`m sure JonnyBoxer will be on here to give some advice as I think he`s pretty active, I haven`t ridden for a couple of years due to an injury.

Pop along to your local club and have a chat with a few riders and have a spin on a modern bike, then you`ll get a good idea what you`ll want.

Hi Ade

Recently restarted in last couple of years.

Bought Honda due to resale/build quality and reliability

Had a 2004 Montesa/HRC 315R (250cc) 2 stroke and it was ok

Now got a 2005 4 Stroke Montesa/HRC 4RT and love it................I find it far easier to ride and has loads of grip - best of all it fuels really well with fuel injection

Bought it secondhand and waited for the right one, paid £2400 (new it was £4500 :eek: )

Beta seem popular, but never ridden one

Gas Gas and Sherco are cheap

Scorpa 2 strokes are a good clubman's bike with smooth power from the Yam motor and very reliable

Trials around Sheffield will be plentiful, as will the Peak District

Ride the Clubman B and/or Easy route until you want to move up

It'll be pretty straightforward based on 'no-stop' rules that you grew up with, with little or no trick riding

Gassers are cheap, but my TXT280 is far better than I will ever be. 4 Stroke is ok, but world champions still ride 2 stroke!!!!! Ex world champions are riding 4 stroke (would probably still be world champion if they hadn't changed to the thumper!!!!).
You can buy a trials bike for vary little and still have tons of fun. I'd even consider an old twin shock just for a giggle. I've seen guys do stuff on them that I wouldn't try on the Gasser. Don't worry about what you get, spend what you can afford and have fun. Trials bikes are all pretty reliable from what I've seen. The only time they break is when you drown em (warning 4 strokers cause I know a guy that killed an HRC 4 stroke by dumping it in a stream, engine bill was £2k :eek: ).

Ade

Im in the same position, really fancy having another go (also expert in mid late 70's) at trials.

I currently rebuilding a twinshock Fantic 240 (its a slow process) with thoughts of entering some twinshock events. You thought of that?

Thanks Lads

Useful info, if it stays windy (as now) will go & have a look at a local trial tomorrow - it's got clubman, over 40 :eek: & twinshock classes so may be able to get some idea as to which route I fancy going down - yeah I know I'm sure to fancy a go at all of 'em ;) . There again if the weathers good I might just not have the willpower not to go out on the GSA :D - on real roads though :thumb

Thanks again

Ade

Gotta do it

Went to the Manchester 17 trial today at Hawks Nest (near Buxton) - just got to have a go again :) Sections quite acceptable (even for a geriatric, but not on a GSA :D ) and even met up with one of the guy's I used to ride with in the mid 70's :clap. Was fortunate (unfortunate for SWMBO) to discover there's a trials bike & kit dealer three miles down the road from me which I didn't even know about - so looks like it'll be a trip down there on the next day off work (Wednesday :thumb )

Looking forward to this again :D :D :D

Ade

Going to see you in the feet up stakes again soon then Mark

Ohhhhh yes.

Definately got the bug - give us a shout and us wrinklies can give each other moral support whilst we wobble around 70's and 80's style.:rob

Its wierd really, I remember when I was a young lad riding around on a cheap bike, seeing these 'mature' blokes with the best kit / bikes money can buy but negligble skill..........feck, how time flies...........:(

Twinshock trials...

Just bought this 1978 TY175 yam to restore and do the occasional twinshock trial:D

Attachments

• ty 002.jpg
    ty 002.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 193
mmmmmm, nice - had one of em brand new. Might even have a handbook floating about somewhere. Ill have a look for you............:thumb

Ohhhhh yes.

Definately got the bug - give us a shout and us wrinklies can give each other moral support whilst we wobble around 70's and 80's style.:rob QUOTE]

Mark

From your previous comments on rebuilding the Fantic I asume you mean twin shock trials - Due to my advancing years & slightly dicky back I'm going to go for a modern job, due to the lack of weight as much as anything. Think there's plenty of combined trials anyway for twin shocks & geriatrics on newer stuff ;)

Still got to get towbar & rack but hopefully be next week so will be able to sort the actual steed then :thumb

Give me a bell 07711 647 459 - often not switched on so leave me voicemail with your number & I'll get back to you.

Cheers

Ade

SY 175

Was out during the week with a mix of bikes and the 4 strokes have come a long way. One of the lads had a scorpa 125 4st nice machine. Have seen a 175 4st today has that bit of extra poke. Anybody driving one ??. Any recomendations?.
also, anybody know of a bike rack that will fit on a swan neck tow bar??.

Back
Top Bottom