Where was I in France?

Diamond Blade

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
No not a competition. Last summer my mates and I were travelling from Aix Les Bains to Belfort. As the day got late, we were pushed to make our self imposed deadline. Somewhere south of Belfort, possibly nearer Besancon we travelled along a valley, alongside a river. The rock formations were stunning but the most strangest thing was a large hotel under an overhanging cliff. We desperately wanted to stop but didn't have the time, and I want to return there this year. Can anyone oblige with a hint where that is.

sounds a bit like this road.

96905927-M.jpg

awesome :thumb

Thanks for the hints guys but it has not sparked any memories. We were following the London - Monaco route northwards but parted ways with it somewhere near Pontarlier, and we think we went due north towards Belfort. Now whether this gorge was on that route or after we left it, we cannot remember. Thing is, if someone who has been there, reads this, they will definately recognise the hotel under the cliff. It was very busy with tourists. I enthused about the place to SWMBO on my return, and now that I am taking her across there for the first time on a bike, she wants to visit that area. Me and my big mouth ("Oh yeah, good enough for you and your mates....").:(

Thanks Rob. To be honest, it does not look like it, but we didn't stop for a gander around. However, it does look like an area I will visit this year. I'll just tell her that I exagerated about the hotel under the cliff and she'll be happy once we find a hotel to base ourselves. The whole area is just stunning and worth the revisit.

Nae danger pal, we're no giving up yet. To be honest, it's a brilliant part of the country to go touring around. Very bike friendly and lots of great places to see. If it's under a big cliff, they're known as 'belvederes' in France, so could be worth doing a google search on belvedere + hotel...
I'll ask my French pal tomorrow.

If you get any more clues, fire them in :thumb

Another thing..

You can try is to go to the Michelin web site here
You can zoom in and out and slide the map around. You never know, something might stir :D

A bientot.../Rob

Possibly somewhere along the N83, which runs alongside the River Doubs? Beautiful valley, lovely river, spectacular scenery. Dunno about the hotel though :nenau

Looking at the map, it could have been the N83 between Baume les Dames and Montbeliard. However, discussion with one of the lads makes me think it was more likely somewhere near St Hippolyte on the D437. You will have guessed that I was not doing the leading / navigation that day. All I remember was that the road was exceptionally good for bikes, plenty wide sweeping corners and fast straights. The road followed the river for ages through forests, but the hotel under the cliff was the strangest thing we'd seen.

Back
Top Bottom