P&O Portsmouth-Bilbao tie-downs

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi -

Please, does anyone have experience of using P&O for their Portsmouth-Bilbao route?

Given that we cross Biscay, I want to be sure the bike's really well secured.

But, on the other hand, if they have decent bike clamps I don't want to unnecessarily add 3kgs of ratchet straps to the weight of my luggage.

PG

They supply ratchet tie-downs and a generous supply of manky old pillows, which do the job OK. On my return trip last year, I managed to get beside a rail on an upper deck which added extra securing points to the floor mounted ones. The only thing you should worry about on the 32 hour journey is death through boredom, unless you are a fan of bingo, one-armed bandits and third-rate failed Pontins Blue-Coats.

BTW, if you call with your friendly Motorrad dealer, they usually have a surplus of very light but incredibly strong 'buckle' type tie-downs which secure crated bikes in transit from the factory and which they will supply free of charge. You can roll a couple of 'em up and stick them in your jacket pocket. :thumb

BTW, if you call with your friendly Motorrad dealer, they usually have a surplus of very light but incredibly strong 'buckle' type tie-downs which secure crated bikes in transit from the factory and which they will supply free of charge. You can roll a couple of 'em up and stick them in your jacket pocket. :thumb

Don't tell everyone that - thats where i get all my straps from.

( the newer type aren't as good as the old ones ;) )

shuck raider said:
The only thing you should worry about on the 32 hour journey is death through boredom.
Or you could go on the spiffing Pont Aven with Brittany Ferries from Plymouth to Santander which only takes 16 hours.

Regards, Mick :thumb

I went Bilbao route in September - they tied the bikes down well with dodgy looking rope and as mentioned above loads of old pillows - but it all seemed to work. The crossing was very up and down (very large swell) and a lot of people were unable to make breakfast. But the bikes were fine and absolutely no damage.

I agree with the boredoom bit - although I was lucky as we spent the whole of the afternoon whale and dolphin watching - loads of 'em. Also someone I knew was in the crew so got a trip to the bridge which killed a few hours. Other than that take a couple of good books!

Have taken bike Portsmouth - Bilbao twice with absolutely no problem. Only worry was U turn on wet diesel fully loaded bike and around 100 other bikers to see if you made it!!

Re boredom
Bottle of fizzy and the right girlfriend kept me happy ;)

29 hours of boredom,:(
so take things to keep you busy.

Re boredom
Bottle of fizzy and the right girlfriend kept me happy ;)[/QUOTE]

What's your girlfriend doing for the next 2 weeks?

:D

From memory they used to have steel hawsers tensioned all over the deck of the bike parking area which was tucked in a corner. The cables were the tie down points and as you park someone comes over, throws a padded cover over your seat and ties it down with one Tie-down compressing your suspension to the max. This is no great problem as you ride in over them under power, but a real bitch when you are stuck in a corner with a fully loaded ADV and you need to reverse it out some 15 metres and push the bike over each one of the cables, if you do encounter the cables make sure you keep your bike pointing towards the exit.

Of course things may have changed :)

Don't worry about tying the bikes down, the deck hands do it for you. If it's going to be a rough trip all sorts of other bits and pieces appear including wheel chocks! By letting them do it if she goes over it's their insurance. We once came back throught a force 8 and no problems.
As for boredom, I've always enjoyed the free talks on whale watching, and usually spend a couple of hours on deck having a look for them myself. Not seen whales as yet, but plenty of dolphins.
Booze on board isn't cheap so if you like wine I think picking up a few bottles before boarding is a good idea.
Don't forget there are also 2 cinemas, and I think a swimming pool, but haven't tried it out yet. Have a good trip.

If you haven't already booked, I would upgrade your cabin to one of the double bedded rooms instead of the bunk bed type. It only cost me and wifey about £55 (2005)more and for that you get 2 vouchers each for b/fast up to £8.50 each a glass of bubbly each at lunchtime plus tea and coffee in your room, sky TV (ish), dressing gowns a bowl of fruit and double bed(if its quiet they may even upgrade you yo an outside cabin with a window ). Well cool and the misses will be so impressed you may even get lucky, beats a cramped bunk bedded room any day. Also the crossing is generally less lumpy as the ship tends to hug the coast more, thats why it takes 2 nights not one. We actually prefer it as I sell it as a mini-cruise as well as a biking holiday. Top up with sandwhich gear etc at Sainsburys just past the Ferry port, as the rooms are cool enough for the cheese, ham(vacum packed) and rolls to stay fresh for lunch the following day
Double LL

Santander to Plymouth

Did the trip from Santander to Plymouth, October last year.

Rough crossing and some of the bikes toppled [inc Si Pavey's] :eek: .

:mad: The crew let us down to the cargo deck to inspect damage when the weather settled, mainly minor damage [screen mounts].

;) My 1150Adv ok, left it on the centre stand.

It's like Pheonix nights on water...30 Odd hours of bloody torture. And some sad gits get to to the other end turn round and come back within a couple of hours such is their liking for the floating club:confused:

However dont worry about your bike and the voyage will soon be forgotten when you get off the other end.....Enjoy:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom