Wiring autocom to 1150GS

Mezza

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I've searched the forums and found some info about powering the autocom on an 1150GS, but some of the info seems contradictory (to me :nenau ) in the best way to do it.

My 1150 has ABS and I'm unsure whether I can power it via the back brake light. A help document on the autocom website says...

'PLEASE NOTE if your bike has ABS braking and/or a brake light failure warning system you MUST consult
your bike supplier or manufacturer for approval before connecting to the brake light circuit. If connection to
the brake light circuit is not recommended, use some other ignition switched 12- volt supply, such as the rear tail
light live feed or any other recommended fused, switch ignition point.
'

So;
can it be powered from the back brake on my ABS model?
or should it be via the normal tail light feed?
or should I do it via the back of the accessory socket?

A definitive answer would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Rich

My autocom is powered by a plug that goes into the accessory socket. No electrical whine, no ABS problems, no lights problems and its an 05 GSA with integral / sevo ABS.

If there's any problem with it, I can pull the plug out and instantly isolate the autocom. And, the socket is fused.

HTH.

Thanks John.
Is that a special lead you use to connect the autocom to the accessory socket?

Thanks,
Rich

Hi, I've searched the forums and found some info about powering the autocom on an 1150GS, but some of the info seems contradictory (to me :nenau ) in the best way to do it.

My 1150 has ABS and I'm unsure whether I can power it via the back brake light. A help document on the autocom website says...

'PLEASE NOTE if your bike has ABS braking and/or a brake light failure warning system you MUST consult
your bike supplier or manufacturer for approval before connecting to the brake light circuit. If connection to
the brake light circuit is not recommended, use some other ignition switched 12- volt supply, such as the rear tail
light live feed or any other recommended fused, switch ignition point.
'

So;
can it be powered from the back brake on my ABS model?
or should it be via the normal tail light feed?
or should I do it via the back of the accessory socket?

A definitive answer would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Rich

Rich, depending on what year your bike is you can go to the inline brake connector via the green and black wire found on the right of the frame under the riders seat. If its 12v you will be fine, the later models have only got 3.5v.

So for this you will need to open up your fuse box and locate the thick black and green wire that will be 12v, trim back the outer cable core and join and solder the two leads together.

The earth can goto the frame via an eyelet connector, I normally pop out one of the allen keys bolts that holds the seat bracket in place.

Job done nice n clean and the source turns on and off with the ignition.

Rich@autocom

Thanks Rich.
My bike is a 2002 model. I'll have a look for the wires on the bike in the morning.
Do you know whether a 2002 model is 12v or 3.5v?

the best way is to find a ign switched live in the fuse box ,then spur off the input to the fuse with a fused link to the autocom live lead and the earth to the chassis, that way its only live when the ign is on and no blat flatterys!!!.

Thanks Rich.
My bike is a 2002 model. I'll have a look for the wires on the bike in the morning.
Do you know whether a 2002 model is 12v or 3.5v?

You are right on the crossover mate so I wouldnt put my money on it being 12v or 3.5v sorry mate.

If it is only 3.5mm follow my post mate, this is how I would fit your bike if you came over to see me at work.

Cheers

Rich

Mezza, I have powered my Autocom from fuse #4 which is the horn fuse. It is very easy to do and cuts the power to the Autocom when the ignition is switched off.

BTW, my bike is an '01 1150 (non ABS).

HTH

Thanks everyone....just off to go figure what I'm gonna do. :confused: :D
Cheers,

Just found this thread following a search.

Wired my TomTom to the horn just under the fuse block. All seems to be working well. So cheers lads. :friday

Back
Top Bottom