Through Switzerland in February

iaindubh

Have been offered the chance to take my mates 1200GS home to Glasgow from La Spezia in Italy around the start of February. Naturally i jumped at the chance but am a bit worried about road conditions on the motorway routes through the Alps. Intend to do it by the shortest route possible, (in shortest time too),which appears to be via St Gotthard tunnel and catch a ferry back to blighty from Rotterdam. Would welcome any advice as to conditions, best route etc. cheers, Iain.

Motorways through Switzerland are usually kept pretty clear, but it could be a different story if the snow/sleet/rain is actually falling :eek

Otherwise it will be cold.

Also, Swiss motorways (and Austrian?) require purchase of a "vignette".

Best advice might be to talk your mate into leaving it there until May/June and then going to get it :thumb

Thanks for the info. I'm based out in Italy at the moment without my bike so the opportunity of a blast home on a bike is a big bonus. Thinking of a change of tack and heading for the Mont Blanc tunnel and into France. Been that route before, although it was later in the year and possibly a few degrees warmer, but looks the shortest route through the alps to lower ground. From the web cams for the area it still looks clear so maybe i'll get lucky. I'll take a bag of self tappers just in case the tourances are a bit lacking in grip!:D

The Gotthard Tunnel is a pretty nasty experiance on a bike - but I went at a busy time. Outside it was around 17 degrees , 10 klics in it was 37 !! The smog is really unpleasant and the fresh air from the Italian side much wanted!

Obviously during the week it will probably be fine but the San Bernedino Tunnel is much shorter ...

The motorways will be kept clear of snow and ice unless there is a heavy snow fall.

plenty of porridge and you'l be fine.
if you do it let us know how you get on it should make good reading sat in our nice warm sheds.
:bow :bow :bow

Don't forget the Swiss Police's zero tolerance policy to speeding, including motorways!

Not entirely true but there is no leeway once you are 6 kph over... if you are caught you will be fined. Under 20 kph over the limit are managable, over that it becomes very expensive.

They use laser systems in tunnels - do not speed in tunnels but you can also tell when they are switched on.

Motorways fines are bad ... but if you are caught in normal roads speeding theya re much worse. I was fined 400 pounds (equiv) for 70 in a 50 limit. A freind on mine recieved a 2 week suspended sentence for 80 in a 50

Back
Top Bottom