PDA

View Full Version : Black Forest

iaing
14-01-07, 13:36
Heading for the Black Forest area in early June and am looking to probably stop in one location for 2 or 3 nights.

Any suggestions for somewhere with character and a bit of life to it?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for night clubs and lap dancers, just somewhere with some nice pubs etc :beer:

Micky
14-01-07, 15:58
They don't have pubs in Germany :eek:

Good hotel, biker friendly, Hotel Waldblick, Schenkenzell :thumb

+49 (0) 783 693 960
GPS N 48.18.534 E008.22.277
info@hotel-waldblick.de
www.hotel-waldblick.de

Handy for Touratech :eek:

Enjoy...

:beerjug:
www.adventure.gs

blobcat
14-01-07, 16:44
As per above stayed in the Waldblick last June, highly recommended :)

Dave Barrett
14-01-07, 18:07
Heading for the Black Forest area

Have you already got an idea which area? I'll gladly add my tuppence worth if I know which part you plan to visit. A good place to start is:

http://www.schwarzwald-tourist-info.de

Davy F
14-01-07, 18:10
I immediately thought this was about the gateau.......:grin

GSmonkey
14-01-07, 18:31
When I went through the Black Forest last, I stopped off at Baden Baden. Nice place with a bit of life. Can recommend the Lowenbrau bar for a meal out and a beer.

iaing
14-01-07, 19:16
Have you already got an idea which area? I'll gladly add my tuppence worth if I know which part you plan to visit.

http://www.schwarzwald-tourist-info.de

Not really restricted to a set area so we can easily build in any suggestions.:thumb

Schwarz Baron
14-01-07, 21:15
I would recommend the village of Titisee... nice little place, cheap and cheerful B&B's, and campsites....

http://www.visiting-germany.de/titisee2.jpg

Ash
14-01-07, 22:47
www.Black-Forrest-shop.de
worth a visit.:thumb

cooperman
16-01-07, 18:13
Going in June with a pal and meeting the wives who are flying out to Frankfurt for a trip round the Black Forest. We plan to see Heidleberg. Baden-Baden, Wolfach, Triberg and a night or two in Strasbourg before dropping the girls back off at the airport and heading back home. If you get held up by a Black 1150 and an Orange Tiger that's us so give us a wave on your way past!

Dave Barrett
16-01-07, 19:21
Hi Cooperman,

If you fancy meeting up for a ride when you're in Baden-Baden or Strasbourg, please let me know. (I live between the two).

cooperman
17-01-07, 11:45
Hi Dave...will get back to you nearer the time if the girls just fancy a days shopping! In the meantime if you have any suggestions on unmissable sights/bars/restaurants, we'd be gratefull to be put in the right direction. Mike

Dave Barrett
17-01-07, 18:30
One place I can recommend is Haslach. This is a typical Black Forest town, with a large cobble-stoned main square, flanked with timber-framed houses. There are many bars/restaurants in the square, and in the summer, everyone is outside.

If you do decide to visit, I can also wholeheartily recommend staying in the Hotel Storchen. They are a "Tourenfahrer" recommended hotel, are located right in the centre, have a proper secure garage for bikes, have an excellent restaurant and also "themed" rooms. They give a small discount for bikers and will also gie recommendations for rides in the area.

More info is at:

http://www.hotel-storchen.de/

For Haslach itself:

http://www.haslach.de/

Have a look under "Stadtrundgang" for 360 degree pictures of the old town - this is the main square mentioned above, also where the Hotel Storchen is located.

ALEXG
18-01-07, 07:45
I unsuccessfully tried to book several Black Forest hotels in the first week of June , including Waldblick. I understand that its the local equivalent of half term that week so you'll probably find both the hotels and the roads a little less busy a week or two later.

~Stef~
18-01-07, 09:43
Yip can reccomend Baden Baden lovely town with loads of places to eat and drink, including a McDonalds :D

cooperman
18-01-07, 17:38
Thanks Dave..will have to brush up on my German before we go!

Dave Barrett
18-01-07, 18:58
Don't worry too much. Most Germans are secret Anglophiles and take great delight in speaking English. Especially here in the South West, the people are really great and friendly and are used to tourists, being on the borders of France and Switzerland. (Don't try and speak French throughout though - you may get a different reception!)

THE ROVER
18-01-07, 21:31
Don't worry too much. Most Germans are secret Anglophiles and take great delight in speaking English. Especially here in the South West, the people are really great and friendly and are used to tourists, being on the borders of France and Switzerland. (Don't try and speak French throughout though - you may get a different reception!)

Hi Dave, I am thinking of heading this way in April. Whats the weather like at that time of year? Its just that april fits in nicely for time off work. Likewise for a mate. Thanks for any info.

Stuart.:beerjug:

Dave Barrett
19-01-07, 09:55
Hi Stuart,

April can still be a bit unpredictable, especially in the higher areas, but no worse than the UK in April and generally warmer in the vallies. Above 1000m it's normally still cold, although since we haven't had a proper winter here yet, I have no idea what this April will be like. Last year there was still snow in April, but I doubt that will be the case this year.

The main advantage of the landscape here is that you can quickly escape the weather, either by changing from valley to mountain or vice-versa. It's also very common to be glorious sunshine on one side and p155ing it down on the other.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

THE ROVER
19-01-07, 16:28
Hi Stuart,

April can still be a bit unpredictable, especially in the higher areas, but no worse than the UK in April and generally warmer in the vallies. Above 1000m it's normally still cold, although since we haven't had a proper winter here yet, I have no idea what this April will be like. Last year there was still snow in April, but I doubt that will be the case this year.

The main advantage of the landscape here is that you can quickly escape the weather, either by changing from valley to mountain or vice-versa. It's also very common to be glorious sunshine on one side and p155ing it down on the other.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Thanks Dave.

I will probably be in touch again soon as I hope to book the ferries next week then start looking for some lodgings.

Cheers Stuart.:thumb :beerjug:

Nomis
21-01-07, 16:57
If your still looking for a biker friendly hotel then can i recommend the Schwarzenbach Hotel.
http://www.schwarzenbach-hotel.de/
Its in the middle of the forest next to a resevoir, about 16 miles south of Baden Baden surrounded by some excellent biking roads.
We were in Frankfurt the night before so phoned them to find the rates and said that we might make it for the next night but wouldn't book in case we didn't make it that far.
We did make it at about 21.00 and were pleasantly suppised to find they had put a plater of cut meat, bread and cheese aside for us just incase we arrived, now that wouldn't happen in this country. They were very welcoming and helpful.

Nomis
21-01-07, 17:08
For those with Google Earth (hope this works) her is the bookmark for the schwarzenbach hotel

Mingh
22-01-07, 12:45
As the black forest is rapidly developing into a downhill and freeride mountainbike paradise I spend loads of weekends (at least 8) in the area per year
And actually ALL the roads i know there are just great for motorbikes.
My favourites are From Köln via Olpe to Winterberg, From Koblenz via Pforrzheim into the Bad Wildbad area (close to titisee), and the best: from Freiburg to Todtnau! Every time I'm there with a van full of beers and mountainbikes, I can't help from cursing myself for not bringing the motorbike.... In Badwildbad and Todtnau (Andy's) you'll find biker friendly bars who can help you find the best roads in the region
Seeing the number of motorbikes on the roads on sunday afternoons: the germans love their bikes too!

JimboGSA
22-01-07, 14:45
Going in June with a pal and meeting the wives who are flying out to Frankfurt for a trip round the Black Forest. We plan to see Heidleberg. Baden-Baden, Wolfach, Triberg and a night or two in Strasbourg before dropping the girls back off at the airport and heading back home. If you get held up by a Black 1150 and an Orange Tiger that's us so give us a wave on your way past!

good choices, did both heidelberg and baden baden last year and intend to go back there this year. superb sense of history and beautiful cities.

And i'd agree the germans always make brits feel welcome, have a crak at learning some german too, all good fun! :thumb

THE ROVER
22-01-07, 15:23
ferry booked today for easter. Apparently it is nearly full cos of a goldwing meet somewhere!!
Will look at the links on here and hopefuly post a route shortly so that those in the know can provide some guidance. :thumb

Dave Barrett
22-01-07, 20:11
If your still looking for a biker friendly hotel then can i recommend the Schwarzenbach Hotel.
http://www.schwarzenbach-hotel.de/
Its in the middle of the forest next to a resevoir, about 16 miles south of Baden Baden surrounded by some excellent biking roads.

Glad to hear a local hotel getting some praise! I've only ever eaten there and must say that the food was good.

What also might me of interest is that during the summer, the Schwarzenbach Hotel is a well-known meeting place for motorcyclists. They have a large parking area reserved exclusively for bikes and I often stop off just for a "mingle" and a chat. The road from Raumünzach to Sand (the very road on which the hotel is located) is an excellent one - I used to drive it every day, but now enjoy it mostly on the bike.

RadioActive
22-01-07, 23:49
I think I can see the table where the missus and I had a coffee last year! Great roads in that area for cycling too. I always get a buzz when I puff my way up on to the Hochstrasse from the French side.

Chris

Dave Barrett
23-01-07, 13:07
I wouldn't recommend a visit at the moment guys - it' s snowing like crazy!

Still, at least we should be able ski soon :clap

Litle Shorty
24-03-07, 18:54
hi there,
when you visit the black forrest, make a little trip to france, visit strasbourg, a very very nice country, with very good food...:-)
it is a short distance from the black forrest to strasbourg- and the touratech heathquarter by villingen schwenningen (niedereschach) is not so far (90km) from offenburg

you need moore informations ? mail me...!

regards from germany :thumb2

RadioActive
24-03-07, 22:31
What's the weather like over there at the moment? I'll be in Schirhoffen north of Strasbourg from next Saturday for a week at the inlaws and hope to get out on my bicycle for a few days. As it's a family visit I'll be in the car but I'm going to trailer the 650 over too for some days out in the Vosges and Black Forest, and most likely a trip to TT. I suspect the inlaws will think me unsociable being out every day!

Chris

The Phantom Pieman
24-03-07, 23:57
Fribourg is a really nice town.. Sort on in the centre of things. But that part of germany is really nice and despite the Bristish prejudice, really friendly.

Wherever you go you will be shown great hospitality

As long as you don't start quoting from Faulty Towers - the German really are pig sick of it !

Litle Shorty
25-03-07, 08:16
What's the weather like over there at the moment? I'll be in Schirhoffen north of Strasbourg from next Saturday for a week at the inlaws and hope to get out on my bicycle for a few days. As it's a family visit I'll be in the car but I'm going to trailer the 650 over too for some days out in the Vosges and Black Forest, and most likely a trip to TT. I suspect the inlaws will think me unsociable being out every day!

Chris

...the spring is comming...nice weather, sunny and no rain.
a second tip is the tour via route de whin, arround the whinestreet. a nice trip at the begining from the vosges from strasbourg to colmar... enjoy it...:beerjug:

Ash
25-03-07, 13:57
Always worth a visit is Triberg the home of the cukoo clock.fantastic place.
A5 exit 55 Offenburg on the B33 and a great ride through the valley.
www.houseof1000clocks.com

Mr K
25-03-07, 14:10
Bang in the middle of the Black Forest and near the Touratech factory is Oberwolfach and: www.touring-relaxing.de

Highly recommended :thumb2

Biggerjohn
04-04-07, 15:49
Fribourg is a really nice town.. Sort on in the centre of things. But that part of germany is really nice and despite the Bristish prejudice, really friendly.

Wherever you go you will be shown great hospitality

I have to agree I spent a wonderful time wandering lost in the Black forest and the surrounding aria in June last year.

After 3 day traveling through France Germany was like coming home every one was open and friendly and went out of there way to help.

For example wandering lost and looking for a hotel (well it was half the fun and I sort of had to leave France after a small right hand problem and been mugged by the local police so was unprepared) I pull up next to two people talking on a suburban side street. Not only do they speak English but one jumps in a car and leads me to the local hotel/bar in case I get lost.

What can I say wonderful people and what a beautiful part of the world.

wildernessrob
04-04-07, 18:35
I think this question is Black forest related, without wanting to hijack another "tossers" thread :augie Would I be right in thinking that there are ample campsites around Lake Titisee?

Im on my first visit to Germany and was looking to spend 2-3 nights camping in this area, if anyone can suggest any locations to stay in?

Im travelling with 4 - 5 other bikes, so a pro bike site would be useful.