GPS Advice Please

Dave T

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just after a little advice please. Mrs Dave T (Emma) is after a basic, cheap SatNav for in her car (it's for her birthday - so I'm paying!), but neither of us are that well up on what’s what with them. She plays in a band and wants it for locating venues (by postcode) on gig nights, and needs it to be able to easily re-calculate routes whilst en-route to cope with roadworks/road closures and diversions. A colleague of hers has the Navman F20 and is pleased with that, and Emma can pick one of those up through her work for £117. She can get a staff discount (at least 10%) on anything sold by The Carphone Warehouse, but I don't mind spending a bit more (or buying elsewhere) if that gets her something better....
Any help would be gratefully received before I ‘splash the cash’.
Thanks,
Dave.T.:beerjug:

Bought this for my wife at Xmas:

The Garmin Streetpilot c510 :thumb

available here for £169.95 http://www.savastore.com/productinf...=Savastore&product_id=10288965&pid=45&tid=279

It was cheaper from Dixons at Xmas though so you may find a better deal by shopping around. Not waterproof so only usable in the car.

It's a great piece of kit. Ready to use out of the box with maps of the U.K and Ireland. It has scamera warnings as standard and you can update them for free via the USB cable supplied. It does postcode and address searches and it's recalculation and refresh times are brilliant. Map expansions for the rest of the world can be added via a card slot. It's the market leader in the US :thumb

I'm afraid I have no knowledge of the Navman range although a car driving mate has one and it's fine for just ploughing up and down the country in a car.

The Tomtom series are even better. The new "one" ie is very intuitive in use, and my guess is it is a lot cheaper too.

Garmin i3. dead cheap, small, portable, easy to use, decent quality, detailed UK maps plus major roads of europe, has removable dry cell batteries and 12v car power lead. My missus has one. I used in on my Mille as well as it fit really well behind the screen.

Garmin i3
I concur, basic GPS at a great price. Got mine from Somerfield when they had 'em on offer at £99. Used it on the bike but now I have a Quest SWMBO uses it in the car.

Pros: Simple to operate, full UK postcode search, speedcam alert capable, upload custom POIs, compact enough to remove and easily take with you.

Cons: Only point to point navigation (with one via point if required) so not capable of using routes, not waterproof, if using rechargeable batteries these are not recharged in use.

For the money a great unit though.

Back
Top Bottom