Quest 2 Problems Updating to CN v9

hommes

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Any one updated to CN NT v9. I have been trying to update my Quest 2 from v8 to v9. I have the update DVD and purchased an unlock code from Garmin ($88 sheeesh) Everything was going to plan. My quest screen was showing "transfering data". It got to 100% then an update error screen popped up. When I tried again I had a "Conection to device failed" error and thats all I get now.
All the usb drivers are installed OK. It also looks like the old v8 Maps on the quest have been wiped out except 3 maps in Germany.
Any Ideas or do I need to send it back to Garmin?:beerjug:

I had similar problems with my Quest 2 last week. I managed to get through to Garmin and it seems that the NT 9 maps are too large for the Quest 2 memory. Looks like the updater application on the DVD isn't smart enough to detect this and just reports a "failure", but not until it has efficiently deleted the old maps!

I did manage to successfully update the Mapsource maps on my PC, so the solution for me was to load the new maps into the Quest using the Mapsource "Transfer" routine.

I have just loaded the UK for now but presumably I could have loaded 90% of Europe. I suppose it is inevitable that you can't squeeze a quart into a pint pot. One good thing though - it would seem that using this method, you have the option of loading a partial map set and reserving lots more memory for user maps, something that I hadn't realised was possible before NT 9.

I had similar problems with my Quest 2 last week. I managed to get through to Garmin and it seems that the NT 9 maps are too large for the Quest 2 memory. .
Hi lads, really quick question, if Ver 9NT works for a Quest 2 (even with problems)
will it work with a Quest 1 ?
I dont want to wait till April.
Thanks, Daithi :thumb2

Hi lads, really quick question, if Ver 9NT works for a Quest 2 (even with problems)
will it work with a Quest 1 ?
I dont want to wait till April.
Thanks, Daithi :thumb2

Sorry dude. I'm sure only the quest 2 will work with NT products.

Thanks for the help gents. I have reinstalled mapsource but it was the same. I can send the maps to the Quest via the mapsource transfer method but must leave out lots of maps due to memory size.
I'm sure it used to have all the v8 European maps in there before, so I tried to re load the v8 maps from mapsource. They were way to big as well.
Nerver mind, at least it works. But I do think that Garmin are a bit vague with the update instructions. I also just noticed that on the v9 DVD cover it does say
This update is for the Streetpilot C and I series , 2720, 7200, 7500 and Nuvi.
:beerjug:

I would love to be wrong, but this is looking like a Garmin cock-up. I have also now tried to re-load v8 and Mapsource reports that only c. 500 Mbytes of RAM is available on the Quest 2. It would seem that it is trying to load the maps into the spare user memory and not the memory reserved for the pre-loaded maps.

This is completely contrary to what the Garmin help desk chap told me last week.

Just a guess but I think that the only way to load the main map sets would be via a special application, like the one on the DVD. Maybe the version that comes on the distribution DVD can't cope with the Quest 2, or worse, maybe Garmin are sending out the update to Quest 2 owners by mistake. Just because Quest 2 supports NT style maps it doesn't follow that Garmin are going to provide the means to update it.

Anyway, it's now Garmin's problem as far as I am concerned because their updater wiped my v8 maps! I will be sending them an email and will report back.

Mark,

I think you are spot on with that. I will also get in touch with Garmin and add my 2p worth.

Had a Quest 2....A PITA, constant lock-ups, slow re-draw when it was working, to the point of missing junctions in cities etc etc.

The best features were the post code search, size and internal battery, other than that....:spitfire

Gave up in the end and bought a 2610 for pennies in comparison...added a 2Gig card, sorted......:thumb

Had a Quest 2....A PITA, constant lock-ups, slow re-draw when it was working, to the point of missing junctions in cities etc etc.

The best features were the post code search, size and internal battery, other than that....:spitfire

Gave up in the end and bought a 2610 for pennies in comparison...added a 2Gig card, sorted......:thumb

I bought my Quest 2 last summer to go touring in Europe. It did suffer from regular lockups and it was rather slow sometimes. I have since upgraded the Firmware to the latest version(2.80) and it hasn’t frozen since. The redraw speed is also a lot better. A lot of people knock the Quest 2 (and I was one of them) but I think now they have it sorted it is a cracking tool. I use it on the bike, in the car and hand held. It’s not the best unit for any one of them, but as an all rounder there is no rival.

Mark.

Any joy from Garmin? I have emailed them but not had a reply yet. I'll have to get on the phone.
Has anyone else updated a Quest 2 to CN NT v9 yet?:beerjug:

Nothing yet but they do warn you that a reply may take a week or so at the moment because of "an unusually high number of enquiries". I wonder what has caused that?

It's "only" been four days since I sent my email.

I had an email from Garmin today.They are going to send me a MRA number so I can "Return the unit for reprograming". I will send my v9 DVD and unlock code with it and ask them to install it and not the v8. Watch this space.

Garmin response:

I think it's best you send your unit in to us to be reprogrammed.
The quest is not a mass storage device so we can't access the HDD through windows to clean it out.
If you could mail me back your full address and phone number I'll generate an RMA number for you.

Tom

hommes, you must have asked nicely because I've heard nothing from them. I hope this doesn't mean everyone with a Quest 2 has to send their unit to garmin for the update! Did they say which maps they were going to leave off or, if they can fit the full set in the memory, how much will be left for user maps?

CN V8NT needs 1098 MB. (Europe)
CN V9NT needs 1256 MB.

The memory available for extra maps with V9NT is 1256-1098 = 158 MB less than with V8NT.

The Quest2 has 2 GB so V9NT will fit OK as long as it's memory is clean from garbage. Garmin obviously has a sloppy administration of the Quest2 memory.

Mu guess is that Garmis is equally sloppy with the memory in the 2780, the 60CX and the 278. :mad:

Zumo is much easier. It's memory is open to Windows and easy to clean up. :)

Thanks for that HMR. Very interesting.

Mark.
I have a contact email address for someone at garmin from a previous problem. He is very helpful. It's much better than using the main support email. If you can send me a PM I will pass it on to you. I think you might need to be a site sponsor to use PMs.

:thumb2

Thanks hommes, but I now have an RMA number of my very own. Not happy. After an hour and a half on the phone to Garmin today, it seems that I am one of a small minority of Quest 2 owners with an as yet undiagnosed problem with hardware that prevents to DVD updater copying the maps to the unit.

I can't tell you any more and we are unlikely to find out because I am sure we will both just get new units sent back to us.

I have been a big fan of the Quest 2 and feel there are some aspects of its design that are still unmatched, however, after what the techie at garmin told me about the performance of the new-generation antennae, I am thinking it may be time to switch to a Zumo. He reckoned he had one on his desk on the ground floor of a multi-storey building and he had satellite reception sufficient for a position fix.

What's stopping me is that I would effectively have to pay twice for CN v9 in the space of a few weeks. I wish they would sell units separately and allow us to transfer our map data.

hommes - can you send me that guy's email?
tried PM but site says you either aren't allowed to receive them or have opted not to receive them....

Thanks

David

Thanks hommes, but I now have an RMA number of my very own. Not happy. After an hour and a half on the phone to Garmin today, it seems that I am one of a small minority of Quest 2 owners with an as yet undiagnosed problem with hardware that prevents to DVD updater copying the maps to the unit.

I can't tell you any more and we are unlikely to find out because I am sure we will both just get new units sent back to us.

I have been a big fan of the Quest 2 and feel there are some aspects of its design that are still unmatched, however, after what the techie at garmin told me about the performance of the new-generation antennae, I am thinking it may be time to switch to a Zumo. He reckoned he had one on his desk on the ground floor of a multi-storey building and he had satellite reception sufficient for a position fix.
I suggest that you forget what he told you ASAP. He don't know nada. :spitfire

First, there are several reports about the same V9NT install problem on SP2720 so this is not a unique Quest2 hardware issue. I's an issue of sloppy administration of the memory. A result from poor software design.

Second. There is no new magic antennae. Almost all GPS-receivers introduced during the last few years, among them 10 different Garmin models, are based upon the SiRF Star III chipset. This is a very sensitive GPS receiver that performs very well with many different standard antennas.

One option for you could be to look at the GPSmap 60CX. It has the same SiRF III receiver as the Zumo but it's free from all the limitations that the Zumo has.

new quest 2

had problems with my quest 2,sent it back to garmin they sent me back a brand new one,with v8 mapping so will get free up grade to v9 if it can be sorted,have not registered it yet,touring stopped for a while so it will only lie in the cupoard,ive also got ram mount and power cradle so ready to go on bike,350 the lot posted,or pick up newcastle upon tyne contact ynot_biker@hotmail.com

Last edited:
I suggest that you forget what he told you ASAP. He don't know nada. :spitfire

Second. There is no new magic antennae. Almost all GPS-receivers introduced during the last few years, among them 10 different Garmin models, are based upon the SiRF Star III chipset. This is a very sensitive GPS receiver that performs very well with many different standard antennas.

I stand corrected. I should have said new-generation receiver (chipset), not antenna. As far as I can see, the Quest 2 does not have the SiRF III, and the Zumo has, which means the Zumo will outperform the Quest in this department. A quote from another forum:

Some of you are expressing awe that your Zumo is receiving a strong satellite signal indoors. This is solely because your Zumo is equipped with the cutting edge SiRF III chipset/receiver. Here's what makes it special (from the website "GPS Tracklog"):

"There are a lot of hot new GPS receivers that use the SiRFstar III chipset, but unless you're a heavy-duty GPS aficionado, you may be wondering, what the heck is this thing and what is the big deal? Simply put, it is a GPS receiver chipset. This is the little piece of silicon responsible for receiving GPS signals and passing the coordinate information along to a miniature computer in your GPS unit.

Why is it a big deal? Fast acquisition times and processing power. This translates into less likelihood of lost signals under canopy and in urban (or natural) canyons. In canyon-like environments, your GPS receives signals directly from satellites whenever it can, but it also receives reflected signals, bouncing off hard surfaces (multipath reflection). Your GPS determines your position by calculating how long it takes the satellite signal to reach your receiver, so reflected signals are a source of error. The SiRFstar III chipset has the processing power to do a lot of "what if's" with these reflected signals. This processing power also means that the chipset can consider weak signals that were ignored by previous chipsets. The SiRFstar III also has faster acquisition times, making for a faster time to first fix (TTFF), and a quicker reacquisition if the signal is lost.

All of this translates into amazing reception, under canopy, in urban centers and even indoors. And that is why the new Garmin units with this chipset are so hot."

Back
Top Bottom