Is under the seat the only option ?

xbootie

Have just purchased a starcom1 (kit C) and having read this post http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88692&highlight=starcom. Just wondered if there is anywhere other than putting it under the seat, Trippy suggested that i put in one of my TT panniers, The only downside to that is i will have to drill some holes in the panniers and will not always have the panniers on the bike, Now i assume that i will need easy access to the little magic box of tricks, to plug and unplug things etc

So the question is if you have one (starcom1 or autocom) where have you stuck it, if not under the seat ? just looking for an alternative if there is one

Cheers Adrian :beer:

I think the reason that under-the-seat is such a popular position is that it is the best place! Proximity to battery, unobtrusive, close to the most convenient connection point for headset cables, secure... Any position is possible but it will generate its own set of compromises.

The small starcom unit[advanced] will fit nicely in the cavity under the tank, access to this spot is via the left-hand side cover.

Plug-in, all your relevant sockets and tape or zip tie them in place as they tend to come loose, wrapp the unit in a thin layer of foam, and jam it in.This works well on my gsa1200

I put my starcom in the tool box on my 1150GS then under the seat where the tool roll was on the 1150Adv. Works well in either place, just zip tied the cables etc. :thumb2

Have just purchased a starcom1 (kit C) and having read this post http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88692&highlight=starcom. Just wondered if there is anywhere other than putting it under the seat, Trippy suggested that i put in one of my TT panniers, The only downside to that is i will have to drill some holes in the panniers and will not always have the panniers on the bike, Now i assume that i will need easy access to the little magic box of tricks, to plug and unplug things etc

So the question is if you have one (starcom1 or autocom) where have you stuck it, if not under the seat ? just looking for an alternative if there is one

Cheers Adrian :beer:

Hello Adrian.

You don't say which bike you have.

I have an 1150GS and Starcom1. I managed to fabricate a couple of brackets from flat steel strip which I attached to the top of the air filter box under the back of the tank. It is a tight fit but works fine. I did however modify the power supply plug to shorten it as my brackets weren't quite the perfect shape. The unit sits at an angle, high at the front, low at the rear with the power socket at the bottom. No bike components needed to be relocated but you do have to drill two small holes in the top of te air filter box for self tapping screws to go into. The other two fixing points use the screws which hold the lid on.

I've got a photo somewhere which I can put up if you're interested.

Hello Adrian.

You don't say which bike you have.

I have an 1150GS and Starcom1. I managed to fabricate a couple of brackets from flat steel strip which I attached to the top of the air filter box under the back of the tank. It is a tight fit but works fine. I did however modify the power supply plug to shorten it as my brackets weren't quite the perfect shape. The unit sits at an angle, high at the front, low at the rear with the power socket at the bottom. No bike components needed to be relocated but you do have to drill two small holes in the top of te air filter box for self tapping screws to go into. The other two fixing points use the screws which hold the lid on.

I've got a photo somewhere which I can put up if you're interested.

Packer - thanks would appreciate a photo or two of how you have mounted yours, i have taken it off the bike for the time being until i have the time to sort it out

Cheers Adrian

Would you not have been better buying a Starcom advance?
I think you'll find their about 1/3rd of the size and alot easier to squeeze in.
Anyway are you sure you want one?

:D :augie

Packer - thanks would appreciate a photo or two of how you have mounted yours, i have taken it off the bike for the time being until i have the time to sort it out

Cheers Adrian

Hello Adrian

Couple of images for you.:thumb

Attachments

• DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 325
  • DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 327
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG