www.lavenderchallenge.com - help needed!

charlesr

Hello everyone,

I am a new member here, so I feel a bit cheeky that I'm already asking for help, but here goes!

I am trying to raise £50,000 for the Lavender Trust at Breast Cancer Care on behalf of my fiancee who was killed by the disease, aged 29.

As part of the Lavender Challenge, my friend Warren and I will be riding between 500 and 800 miles per day to outline the European continent in less than a month. This involves leaving the UK in the early hours of Saturday 7th April, travelling across the channel to begin our 15,000 mile journey through the following 33 countries and territories: France, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Lapland (Norwegian, Finnish and Swedish), Finmark, Finland, Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Belarus, Poland, Ukraine, Moldova, Romania, Turkey, Bulgaria, The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Greece, Albania, Serbia and Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, Slovenia, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France, Spain, Gibraltar and Portugal.

Full details can be found here: www.lavenderchallenge.com and www.justgiving.com/lavenderchallenge

I am putting virtually all my savings into this project - (I have bought a 2000 650 Dakar and an aerostich suit for the event) and I am finding it hard to find the funds to kit myself out properly. Is there anyone who can lend me a top box and frame for a GS Dakar? I would of course take very good care of it and return it as soon as I return.

I tried contacting all the big petrol companies and BMW for help with the fuel costs, but they all told me to go jump - apparently my case doesn't fit their requirements. Does anyone have any ideas about who might sponsor me in terms of fuel?

Thanks so much for any help you could give me with this.

Charlie

Few thoughts...

Theres a guy here from AutoCom, they might be worth talking to, esp if there are two of you... you never know...

Have you tried contacting the guys who did the LWR? they probably wouldnt be interested, but again you never know...

Finally, how about contacting a company that specilises on Bio fuel? maybe they would be more filling to lean you an ear on the fuel side of things...

Thanks John - all good ideas. We defiantely do need to borrow an intercom if possible - do you know the name of the guy from Autocom?

Thanks so much,

Charlie

I tried contacting all the big petrol companies and BMW for help with the fuel costs, but they all told me to go jump - apparently my case doesn't fit their requirements. Does anyone have any ideas about who might sponsor me in terms of fuel? Thanks so much for any help you could give me with this. Charlie

Charlie,
I know only too well, it was whilst working on the PWAB challenge, last year, we also tried to obtain fuel vouchers, but did it by working alongside the charity events team and still we got a 'middle finger' response.

We did alter our tact and tried all the Supermarket's who resell fuel and still got the same response with one exception, http://asdacares.gpalm.co.uk/tickledpink06/
who gave us more consideration .. but again declined, as they wanted to be seen as supporting both charity's in this area, equally.

I would suggest working with the charity's events team as they often can help you with their own network of contacts.

Hi Steve - another great idea! (Now why didn't I think of that?!) I will get on to the Lavender Trust and see what they can do to help. It seems as though the big multi-nationals just don't want to know - I might try smaller companies if the LT can't come up with anything.

Best wishes,

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom