Portsmouth/Bilbao AT FERRIES service not operational (merged)

TERRY RYAN

Reaction score
For Your info copy from another site

(it may be worth double checking other routes with this ferry company too before you travel?)

thought the price was too good to be true ;-)

Sent: 23 January 2007 15:21
To: AT Ferries
Subject: URGENT! - AT FERRIES CANCELLED SAILNGS
Importance: High

Dear Customer

Due to operational reasons, we regret to inform you that Acciona Trasmediterranea will be temporarily suspending the service between Portsmouth and Bilbao, from the 25th January to 27th April 2007 (inclusive), at which point the service will be resumed.

All customers will be offered a full refund if they wish to cancel, or a free amendment to a later date.

Please advise us how you wish to proceed by calling us on 0870 066 5446 or replying to this email.

Please note that we are expecting a high volume of calls and emails, so whilst we will endeavor to deal with your response as quickly as possible, there may be some delays.

Regards

AT Ferries Support Team

AT Ferry; Potsmouth/Bilbao no longer in service!

Hi Folks,
I've seen the above ferry company mentioned several times in various forums. Be warned, I've just seen on the local southern news that they've pulled the service on the route.
Too late for for you poor sods that have already booked and are sailing anytime soon but if you had plans- check first.
Hope this is useful to you.

Katy M.

Thanks for that

I was going to book with them but was holding off to get someone's feedback.

You've saved me some grief,,,

Thanks

Ali:thumb

Received this email to day...

Dear Customer

Due to operational reasons, we regret to inform you that Acciona Trasmediterranea will be temporarily suspending the service between Portsmouth and Bilbao, from the 25th January to 27th April 2007 (inclusive), at which point the service will be resumed.

All customers will be offered a full refund if they wish to cancel, or an amendment to a later date.

Please advise us how you wish to proceed by calling us on 0870 066 5446 or replying to this email. Please provide us with your AT Ferries reference number at this point.

Please note that we are expecting a high volume of calls and emails, so whilst we will endeavor to deal with your response as quickly as possible, there may be some delays.

Regards

AT Ferries Support Team :eek :spitfire

Thank god that P+O had some room left .
P+O are a Tad more expensive at £220 but that said.. with P+O , I get a room to myself , you have to share a 4 berth with AT Ferries.
Also P+O arrive in Bilboa at 8 am giving you the day ahead to ride,
but with AT Ferries you arrive at 9pm so would need to look for a place to sleep stright away.

Never a Dull moment
:beer:

TBH I'm not overly surprised, but it's a real PITA :mad:

When we came back in November, there were 147 passengers on the boat..its capacity is over 1100!

A lot of those (nearly all in fact) were truckies, who get an even cheaper deal than 'normal' punters, so I guess their profit margins were just too far stretched :nenau

For 'operational reasons' I guess you could substitute 'It just ain't viable' which is fair enough.....but with the alternatives being a lot more expensive and on different days, it's a real shame...it's certainly going to cause us some problems and make us have to re-jiggle things for the next few months :(

I'll sticky this for the time being 'cos it could affect quite a few people :(

probally down to empty ferries in the winter.i sailed over the new year and the ship was almost empty.it must take a few euro's to run a peice of kit like that.does slightly p-ss on your chips somewhat.

Might be down to the big shaking on the prop

I went to the Dakar rally left Th Dec from Portsmouth came back on the Th of Jan and the ship had a big vibration on the back end , they might of pulled it for maintenance :eek

I am booked with AT ferries sailing 4th June. Because of the concerns expressed on these pages I checked with them, this morning. The short answer is that the ferry will be sailing at the end of April and it is already booked up for April and May. There will be big problems on the docks from annoyed customers if it its not sailing by then, I guess!!! They declined to say why it has not been sailing at present.

I think a few chaps are planning that route for a trip to morroco in march ?
OOPS

Looks like they've pulled the service...period. Got an email
from them at 4pm today (8 March 07) saying they've pulled it
(my booking was for September and October this year) and
a full refund will be payable.

Gordo'

Well,

I booked my ferry to Bilbao back in early January when it cost me only £89 for return in June!!

However,

I receieved the same email last night stating that the service has been withdrawn and that I should arrange for a refund!!! I have not called AT Ferry to find out about it, but I am hoping that it is still operational. If it is true, then my whole Summer holiday has been ruined, as I canot afford the £500 + for a return ferry if I booked it now.

ANyone else in the same boat should post a reply on here. If anyone can get me to Bilbao on the 12th June for £89 should also get in touch!!

I've merged the two threads now so that we have all of the info about this in one place :)
Bill

Me too...

e-mail recieved today saying that the whole thing is cancelled - which is a bit of a downer since I have booked for car and caravan, camp sites booked and paid for etc.. :spitfire
I can't change my holiday dates at work as other people have worked around me.
The P&O ferry on the same route is fully booked for the day before my booking, I'm hoping, possibly in vain, that AT Ferries have block booked or come to some agreement, as they say they will help with travel arrangements. I doubt it.
Whichever way I now travel it's going to cost a whole lot more....

Bugger.

:spitfire :spitfire :spitfire

See here for Acciona Ferries statement. Its messed my plans up - paid for June trip and booked hotels etc for 3 m/cycles. Brittany ferries is nearly 3 times the price. I guess its back to the alps again....

www.atferries.com

thats a fecking shame.it was a good service and cheap.probally lost to much money on the route.back to riding through europe then:thumb2.39 hours onboard was rather boring.

I have rebooked via Brittany..but it works out much cheaper to book through brittany holidays and include your hotel as well. For three motorcyclists sharing a 4 berth cabin in june both ways, it worked out at £268 each. But for the same as above AND 4 nights at the hotel Del oso in the Picos, it was £310 each (in a triple room).

If you book the Brittany Holiday (i.e hotels and ferry) they give you the 4 berth cabin free of charge :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom