6,000,000$ question, Which GPS?

Reaction score
Gents,

I'm new to all this GPS stuff but want to get one for my GS1200 but also want to use it in the car.
I travel europe a couple of times a year so to have these maps would be handy.
But what do i buy?
I have seen the Tom Tom rider but also see threads on Quest and garmin units.
Also which model? i have a autocom on my bike so will it work with that?
Help please, i'm sure you wont let me down.

Thanks,
Stuart:beerjug:

I bought the garmin zumo 550 it comes with brackets for the car and bike and its dead easy to use.It is quite expensive though around €850 dont know what that is in sterling.:)

Your Choice....

The difficulty is that everybody has their own combination of requirements.... so only you can make the choice...

For me personally, as good as the zumo is (previous post) at give or take £500 it's a bit over priced. I'm not doubting the unit is the latest technology and comes with lots of "extras" that some will find very useful, however all I wanted was a unit to give me solid reliability satellite navigation.....

For that reason, i chose the tried and tested Garmin 2610 unit, currently available for the bargain price of £190 (http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod3267.html)

Each to their own ofcourse, it depends what "features" you require, what budget you have, etc etc.... For me, it doesn't matter too much how "pretty" the interface is, or the extra "features" what matters is the quality of the routing. Given that The map data is essentially the same (NT variant for Zumo) the quality of routing cannot be any better, so why spend £300 more on a zumo to do the same job? (just my opinion ofcourse)

For the record the Garmin 2610 also comes ready to be fitted into your car, but will need appx another £60 spending for securing to your motorcycle. (Although i believe the site i've given you a link for also do a bike package)

Good luck with your choices.....

-Stu.

it's so cheap at the moment, that the 2610 has to be the winner for me.

no 3D mode or POI loader but otherwise pretty much all you need.

Thanks for the advice chaps,
just had a quick look on the Garmin web site and it say that it is discontinued.
what the new version that replaces it?
Like evrybody i am looking for a good unit at a budget price. i wont be using it that often as i know the way to work with my eyes shut! £300 is about my limit. are these thing fully waterproof if out in a heavy shower?
thanks

ive used my 2610 in all weathers.get a 2gb card and load europe on and away you go. yes waterproof.

Thanks for the advice chaps,
just had a quick look on the Garmin web site and it say that it is discontinued.
what the new version that replaces it?
Like evrybody i am looking for a good unit at a budget price. i wont be using it that often as i know the way to work with my eyes shut! £300 is about my limit. are these thing fully waterproof if out in a heavy shower?
thanks

Don't let the fact that it's discontinued put you off, that purely means they're no longer manufacturing them, they are on the other had continuing to support them. Also the mapping software is updateable with all the latest mapping, as you'll see in this forum, all owners are currently waiting the next current release (City navigator 9)

If £300 is about you're limit, you're kind of in a two horse race as far as Garmin is concerned, the SP2610 and the Quest. Both excellent units (i've owned both a Quest 1 and currently the SP2610) and which is you're preference is largely down to your requirements.

If you search on this forum you'll find lots of info regarding pro's and con's of each unit, but basic (not comprehensive) differences are:

Quest is battery powered, whereas 2610 is external power only
Quest has a small screen, whereas 2610 has a larger and touch screen
Quest is a small pocket unit, whereas 2610 is much larger in size
Quest uses internal memory 243mb, whereas 2610 uses CF, size= upgradeable
BOTH are waterproof.

They're the basic differences, should help you decide which unit is best option for your needs.

note, Above refers to Quest 1, not the Quest 2.

hope this helps

:thumb2

You can get the whole of europe on one card for the 2610. :thumb2

Thanks again all,
Your starting to sell me on the 2610 because as you say it is a very good deal at presant. I take it CF is compac flash card? these are cheap enough.
How and where do you get the lastest V9 software? how much does it cost and where does it cover.
What the best mount for a GS1200 (not GSA)?
Sorry for all the questions but I know someone will have the answers.

Thanks

2610 anybody?

Reading your thread I would agree entirely with the views re the 2610 because I have one and its great, complete with big after market card installed. Unfortunately, not only has it been discontinued, but Garmin are no longer supporting it in terms of Map updates - so v9 is the last - if you can get hold of one!

Mine is on v8, works perfectly well, but I'm now considering the big move to one with updateable maps! If I find one you're welcome to buy mine at a bargain price - if you still want one?

Don't be so sure I have just been sent CN2009 for quest and it had2610 update on install page
mind you haven't managed to get the maps onto my mac yet

In the market for a GPS. I already have one for the car and need a unit just for the bike. My existing car unit is a TOMTOM so I know how to to use the software. Would also eventually like to get a radio or use iPhone etc to stream music into my helmet. I don't have any equipment yet so don't want to go too far down bluetooth/autocomm route. Advice welcomed. Are most using cable to the helmet or the bluetooth route? The new Tomtom rider comes with a scala unit and not a bad price at £400 all considering.

Many thanks, Cookie

Back
Top Bottom