Touratech cradle problem

Mutley

Reaction score
I have my Quest mounted in a locking Touratech cradle and I have a cable to the beak mounted powerpoint on my 1150 GSA (cable from TT). I have just had an Autocom fitted and it has highlighted the fact that the cable isn't making a proper contact through the pins at the rear of the Quest. When I have had a more detailed look it seems there is play in the mounting of the cable.

Anyone have a solution? :nenau

Did the bracket come with a little thin metal shim thing H??

They added that after some early ones were loose...

I had the same prob even with the shim...I got round it by bending the side piece to allow the Quest to sit on the pins properly, but eventually the earth pin from mine broke anyway :(

I ended up using another Garmin power lead, cutting it about to fit the TT bracket and it works well...it's got little spring strips rather than those silly little pins :nenau

Yes the lead is held to the bracket with two metal shims that slide into recessed grooves in the head of the lead. The plastid head of the lead then has spring loaded pins to make contact. The head now seems to be able to move away from the Quest :(

Unless you go down the warranty route or bodge a replacement lead in place then, Araldite might be a good solid fix though it would take a lot of work to clean it up if/when the pins fail like on mine :nenau

(having switcheable power to the cradle helps prevent it....mine's powered permanently and because the bike lives outside all the time, the anode/cathode effect is corroding the live pin everytime it gets wet....you can see the green copper oxide furring the pin))

Back
Top Bottom