Whatton help rqd

Hman

Reaction score
:bow mr whatton, the guru of computers/garmins and gdb files...............is there anyway of putting the gdb files you created on to a transparent map like the speed camera overlay for the 2610. if were possible it would free up the waypoint folder and you would be able to carry shit loads of info on the card. selecting the the appropriate map when required.:nenau . am i talking complete b***x, or has it been discussed before :augie

Hman

:bow mr whatton, the guru of computers/garmins and gdb files...............is there anyway of putting the gdb files you created on to a transparent map like the speed camera overlay for the 2610. if were possible it would free up the waypoint folder and you would be able to carry shit loads of info on the card. selecting the the appropriate map when required.:nenau . am i talking complete b***x, or has it been discussed before :augie

Hman
I don't recall it being discussed before, but I'd love to be able to make overlays myself, (location of mountain passes etc)

I can do that....

If someone wants to combine all these things into one gdb file I'll convert it to a transparent map.

Can you make them searchable if they are in a transparent overlay ?

If someone wants to combine all these things into one gdb file I'll convert it to a transparent map.

the thing is........ i reckon they would be more useful as seperate catagories, etaps, formula 1, heretage sites ect..ect. guru whatton has made some ace gdb files which i'd love to carry on the 2610 for euro trips, but its just impossible as waypoints. if they were all on one map wouldn't it be too cluttered. as selectable transparencys it would be more manageable:nenau . martin what do you think:augie
if you have the time to do this SB, i reckon you would be on to a winner ££££££ !!! think af the possibilities, not just for bikers.

Hman

Hmm...dunno....easier to splurge it all into one POI map. When they're compiled they're really small & I could set the map level to avoid clutter.

Have a go with the one I made earlier, thats got several of whattons's gdb files in it & should be a fair test. If it works out I can knock together a 'ukgsified' mapsource installer for it.

the thing is........ i reckon they would be more useful as seperate catagories, etaps, formula 1, heretage sites ect..ect. guru whatton has made some ace gdb files which i'd love to carry on the 2610 for euro trips, but its just impossible as waypoints. if they were all on one map wouldn't it be too cluttered. as selectable transparencys it would be more manageable:nenau . martin what do you think:augie
if you have the time to do this SB, i reckon you would be on to a winner ££££££ !!! think af the possibilities, not just for bikers.

Hman

Have a go with the one I made earlier, thats got several of whattons's gdb files in it & should be a fair test. If it works out I can knock together a 'ukgsified' mapsource installer for it.

How do I get Mapsource to show it? Is there a default folder I should be saving it to? Or does the registry need tweeking?

Thanks for compiling it by the way :thumb2

You'll need to tweak the registry to make it work with mapsource - or failing that you can use a tool like 'img2gps' to upload the maps.

Let me know how it works out, I suspect the map level is set way too high but that can be easily fixed.

How do I get Mapsource to show it? Is there a default folder I should be saving it to? Or does the registry need tweeking?

Thanks for compiling it by the way :thumb2

You'll need to tweak the registry to make it work with mapsource - or failing that you can use a tool like 'img2gps' to upload the maps.

Let me know how it works out, I suspect the map level is set way too high but that can be easily fixed.

I used "img2gps" but as I was only transferring the one map file it deleted all my other maps. As you say perhaps the level is a little too high, 5 miles would be fine for me :)

I used "img2gps" but as I was only transferring the one map file it deleted all my other maps. As you say perhaps the level is a little too high, 5 miles would be fine for me :)

Recompiled & fresh copy available....only 8246 POI's in this one ;-)

Forgive me for asking, but why bother making a transparent map with this info on it at all? (only reason I can think is if your GPS doesn't do POI's)

If your GPS handles Points of Interest then saving your mps (gdb) file as a gpx file, then loading with Garmin's POI loader software (can even use a similar facility with TomTom).... I would think this is the best way to use the compilations no?

Al...

Smellybiker, What would be really handy is knowing how to make the overlay from waypoints, then I could do my own...

Cheers, ebbo

Smellybiker, What would be really handy is knowing how to make the overlay from waypoints, then I could do my own...

Cheers, ebbo

You need GPSMapEdit, available from www.geopainting.com - and cgpsmapper, available from www.cgpsmapper.com

Save your waypoints from Mapsource as a gpx/mps file, open with GPSMapEdit and convert them to points. Save the file as polish mp format then run cgpsmapper to compile it.

GPSMapEdit is shareware & a few quid gets you a fully working copy. There are lots of flavours of cgpsmapper with various levels of functionality, ranging from free up to the full on commerical version.

Should should keep you busy for a while :)

You need GPSMapEdit, available from www.geopainting.com - and cgpsmapper, available from www.cgpsmapper.com

Save your waypoints from Mapsource as a gpx/mps file, open with GPSMapEdit and convert them to points. Save the file as polish mp format then run cgpsmapper to compile it.

GPSMapEdit is shareware & a few quid gets you a fully working copy. There are lots of flavours of cgpsmapper with various levels of functionality, ranging from free up to the full on commerical version.

Should should keep you busy for a while :)
Thanks Smellybiker, If I can make it work, I’ll be a happy bunny :thumb

Cheers, ebbo...

Back
Top Bottom