Hertfordshire Green Lanes - RUPP challenges

Wreford Miles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Today I’ve mostly been making friends with the Hertfordshire Countryside access and definitive Map officers in an effort to define a tasty route.

Some interesting points came to light.

Since RUPP’s became outa bounds for us motorcycle chaps they’ve had virtual no challenges which the guy I spoke to found very surprising (He could not think of any RUPP downgrades that have been successfully challenged)

He also said he’d recently downgraded a Byway however that was only to parallel axle vehicles which has highlighted/proven that motorcycles do very little damage.

Which got me thinking – We need to get a coordinated campaign to get some of these RUPPs upgrade and I reckon if we suggest that the upgrade should not apply to parallel axle vehicles it would stand a better chance of being accepted.

I’ll find out how to apply for an upgrade

We’ll need a target list of RUPPs – I suppose we should first highlight those that go from a Byway to a RUPP like the one that goes through North Mymms Park to South Mymms

What other Hertfordshire RUPPS would you suggest?

This sounds very interesting Wreford........I'm gonna stickyfy it and let's keep it bumped for a while.....if it turns out to be effective, it sounds like something that should be cross-posted to as many off road sites, trail bike sites and so on as it can be :thumb

Bill

Forgive my ignorance in this but how the hell do you tell difference between a route that is banned to parallel axle vehicles and not motorcycles :nenau

I am lucky living in a county where the council did do all the work in time for this bill, but any chance of expanding the "off" road network has to be seized upon, lets face it if you can't beat them use their rules against them. :thumb

Forgive my ignorance in this but how the hell do you tell difference between a route that is banned to parallel axle vehicles and not motorcycles :nenau

I am lucky living in a county where the council did do all the work in time for this bill, but any chance of expanding the "off" road network has to be seized upon, lets face it if you can't beat them use their rules against them. :thumb

Here is the correct sign that permits Motorcycles but prohibits cars etc.

02311339.gif

Although I would much prefer to see these signs on Byways. :augie

02311341.gif

They've only done it to one Byway so far (Dead womans lane) near Kings Waldon - It's marked a Byway but when you go into it a few hundred yards you come across 4 or 5 very official looking metal posts. I gues it's after a few hundred yards because there are entrances to fields in the first section.

So I reckon they could upgrade a RUPP for motorcycles and powered unicycles only - I'll check but working on the assumtion that all RUPPS are outa bounds and you need to check with the CC they'd only need to detail the fact on the definative map and if 4X4 became a problem... stick a post in

Anyway - name those Hertfordshire RUPPs worthy of a challange

Isn't the co-ordinated approach supposed to be carried out by the local TRF.

Wonder why the TRF exists if this is the case.
:blast

Isn't the co-ordinated approach supposed to be carried out by the local TRF.

Wonder why the TRF exists if this is the case.
:blast

The guy from the CC was very suprised there had been little coordination - he put it down to expecting challanges from 4X4 clubs and thought they where keeping their heads down because of the bad press

I’ve just spoken with another really helpful guy from Herts CC.

It’s not good news…

Unless applications where in early 2006 they would now have to meet a tough criteria to be considered – Criteria like 50% of all use over the last 5 years has been motor vehicles or it’s listed by the highways agency as a street or it was created for motor vehicles.

What I have found out is there are circa 20 applications in which are slowly being worked through the system and he’s put me on the list of people to be consulted/informed – He also tipped me of about a new BOAT which may come up soon which fits nicely within my route planning

Hi Wreford, sorry mate, not gonna be able to make Saturday now - something's cropped up at home which I've got to sort out. :(

I hope you have a good 'un though.

Cheers,

Phil

Let's face it ............... We've all been stitched up by the liars at the Ramblers Association and the wankers in the Houses of Parliament :spitfire

I used to spend hours writing and e-mailing my MP, the local newspapers and various County Councils but to no avail so sod em. Now rather than write I spend my time riding lanes regardless of its revised status :thumb

I used to spend hours writing and e-mailing my MP, the local newspapers and various County Councils but to no avail so sod em. Now rather than write I spend my time riding lanes regardless of its revised status :thumb

What happens if you ride a RUPP by mistake?

The legal blub says your bike can be confisgated

That's if they can catch you. :augie

Mind you, the only time I've seen plod is when they were in a 4x4. Funnily enough I knew I was on a legal right of way, so I stopped and had a conversation with them. It went something like-

"Have you got permission to be here?" says he, "Don't need it Officer as this is a legal right of way for motorised vehicles".

I then proceeded to tell them about the differences between footpaths, RUPP, Byway and Bridleway. Clearly he didn't know. :rolleyes:

I knew that the only way he could have got there, was by driving along a Bridleway. So I asked him and yup sure enough he had driven along it. "Do you know you commited an offence by driving along that Bridleway Officer" says I. "Erm no, how do I get off this Byway then?" "You can't," says I, "you will have to commit another offence just to get to the road" :rolleyes:

You can't ride a RUPP by mistake because RUPP's no longer exhist. Lanes that were RUPP's are now referred to as RB's (Restricted Byway) and (in my part of the country) are well marked as such. It's safe to say that I've never ridden anywhere that I didn't know the legal status of but that doesn't mean I only ride Byways :thumb2

It wasn't me who changed the law :spitfire :mcgun :D

You can't ride a RUPP by mistake because RUPP's no longer exhist. Lanes that were RUPP's are now referred to as RB's (Restricted Byway) and (in my part of the country) are well marked as such. It's safe to say that I've never ridden anywhere that I didn't know the legal status of but that doesn't mean I only ride Byways :thumb2

It wasn't me who changed the law :spitfire :mcgun :D

As I understand it, a large percentage of trail riders now take view that the new rules mean they can ride anywhere (their argument being that,after all the tw*t ramblers have right to roam, so why not trail riders?)....which is good way of testing the robustness of the regulations, a bit like the fox hunting mob do, without actually hunting, like!!!:augie

I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN SEEING SOME OF THE HERTS BYWAYS ETC
ANYTHING SUITABLE FOR A BIGGUN[KTM950]
ZEDTOURS

Back
Top Bottom