Picos: What is the surface of the Sotres/Tresviso Rd and valdeon

Bateman

Reaction score
I have seen a few pictures of the scenery taken from the little road to Sotres and on to Tresviso in the Picos, and a similar looking road to Valdeon. What type of surface are these roads. I currently have road tyres on the GS but may switch to something else prior to my Picos trip in June as I would like to go on these roads. Could I do the roads on road tyres or Tourances maybe - or does it need something more.

Got a friend coming who will be on a yamaha diversion 900 so not sure how suitable the track will be for him either.....

Statistically, the area gets a lot of rain. When dry you'll probably be ok on almost any tyre, in the mud you'll want TKCs.

Tim
Thanks Tim - so I take it that the road is not tarmac then - its a gravel or muddy track?

Hi Bateman,

The road from Sotres to Tresviso is normal tarmac and ends among the farm houses in the latter.

Don't trust the Firestone map though - it shows the footpath from Tresviso down to La Hermida (N 621) as a scenic route... :eek:

subida.jpg

RE Valdeón, I suppose you mean Posada de Valdeón? To the north you can only go to Caín from there (tarmac with a few gravel/rocky bits) until you reach the start of the Garganta del Cares, one of the most beautiful gorges in Europe.

Unfortunately you can only explore it on foot (12 km) and traverse the Picos from Castilla León to Asturias that way - until you reach Poncebones on the road between Cabrales and Sotres (but you would be without your bike... :D )

tuneles1.jpg

However, there is a crossing from Espinama (on the CA 185 between Potes and Fuente Dé) to Sotres that is an excellent proper gravel/rocky track.

Can be done on Tourances easily but don't forget to switch off your ABS (and don't ask how I found that out... :augie ). Hope you are not afraid of the locals - they can come a bit too close in places...

33947841-M.jpg

If you need any further details let me know.

Ela

treviseo path

a group of mates came down the footpath on trail bikes, realy dodgy, one lad dropped his bike and just left it, we had to go round 60 miles to collect it and give him it back, dirt path down to 3 feet wide in places with 5 feet shelves and 2000 feet drops , not for the faint hearted or gs,s ,ps it is worth going round on road only tarmaced in 1999, quite spectacular and a good night out as well, although strangly the locals look exactly the same with hooky noses and strange shoes

a group of mates came down the footpath on trail bikes, realy dodgy, one lad dropped his bike and just left it, we had to go round 60 miles to collect it and give him it back, dirt path down to 3 feet wide in places with 5 feet shelves and 2000 feet drops , not for the faint hearted or gs,s ,ps it is worth going round on road only tarmaced in 1999, quite spectacular and a good night out as well, although strangly the locals look exactly the same with hooky noses and strange shoes

I agree with the above - if its the road I am thinking of just forget it on anything bigger then a Bultaco Sherpa... Here is the top of thae road a few years ago before it even starts to get steep and narrow...... great ride up to the top by the way (Pic3)..... Supposed to be going back in September this year.

AndyT:cool:

Attachments

• offroad tresviso2.jpg
    offroad tresviso2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 219
  • offroad tresviso.jpg
    offroad tresviso.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 216
  • on way to treviso.jpg
    on way to treviso.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 216

Back