NZ Mapping

Timbo

Reaction score
I'm off on a dream holiday to New Zealand at the end of the year. Having splashed out for my Garmin I'd like to use over there for walking and driving. What mapping is available for that area and has anyone had any experience of it?

Let me know how you get on. The Mrs is goin to treat me to a 'tour of a lifetime'. What she had in mind was a trip across the rockies & down the Californian coastline. Great. Been thinkin about NZ instead. Just bought my first GS - a '96 1100. Like to here what preps your makin for the journey etc.

New Zealand is great.
Road surface is fantastic almost everywhere, traffic is light and the whole country is a series of hills/mountains.

For Garmin loadable maps you are pretty much stuck with WorldMap which has coastlines and main highways only and is not auto-routable.

While I would never encourage anybody to steal software, I do point out that WorldMap is available on several file sharing systems (it certainly is not worth paying for).

Basic New Zealand maps available (I am not the author);

Link

Basic street maps for the North Island, no coastlines, no POI, no auto-routing

New Zealand

I went to NZ in March 2001, had a fantastic time. Downside is that you will not want to come back, and a whole day sat on a plane is not my idea of fun, it's a very long way.

Have a look here for my description and photo's of the trip.

New Zealand trip

BurnieM said:
Basic New Zealand maps available (I am not the author);

Link

Basic street maps for the North Island, no coastlines, no POI, no auto-routing

Being a TT (total tosser) when it comes to computers and installing things. How does this work please?

For the publicly created maps 3 tools are in common use;
GPSmapper (to build the maps into Garmin format)
MapEdit (graphical front end to GPSmapper)
Sendmap (tool to send files to GPS)

Links to programs here

You can download the .img files from my site and then use Sendmap to load them.
eg
sendmap com1 -s57600 11000603.img 11000513.img 11000608.img

You don't need GPSmapper but if you want to view them on the PC you can download MapEdit

Note these are basic street maps so don't expect coastlines, POI or auto-routing but they are a lot better than NZ only other option, WorldMap

BurnieM said:
For the publicly created maps 3 tools are in common use;
GPSmapper (to build the maps into Garmin format)
MapEdit (graphical front end to GPSmapper)
Sendmap (tool to send files to GPS)

Links to programs here

You can download the .img files from my site and then use Sendmap to load them.
eg
sendmap com1 -s57600 11000603.img 11000513.img 11000608.img

You don't need GPSmapper but if you want to view them on the PC you can download MapEdit

Note these are basic street maps so don't expect coastlines, POI or auto-routing but they are a lot better than NZ only other option, WorldMap

Nope! You lost me after ; Links to programs.........

You need the Sendmap utility to load these maps to your GPSR

from the DOS prompt type the above command specifying;
- comm port the GPSR is on
- speed of the comm port
- then files that you wish to load

Additional New Zealand maps for the South Island are now at; GPSriders

To be really honest, whilst a GPS system is very useful as far as I can work out, coz I don't own one. I don't think that New Zealand is a country that you really need one.

Sure, one can always find an excuse to use anything, but the place is so small and so empty that if you firstly know your destination, two, know the general direction, then using the sun as a guide you can work out which road/track to take.

The best part is that if you do get lost, don't worry, all the roads are great and you're sure to be having a fantastic ride.

Mick.

Ps:- if the road/track starts getting vertical you know you are about to cross a mountain range, when it starts to go down rapidly, you know you've crossed the range!

Back
Top Bottom