Currency??

Yodagoat

Reaction score
Swiss currency??

What money do they spend in Switzerland? Euro's or Swiss Francs?

Also what paperwork should I take with me for europe?

cheers

mike

don't forget ya e111 card............from post office for your medical care...

cheers

mike

principally, swiss francs, but they accept more or less anything in the cities. i've used euros in remote rural areas too.

passport

driving license

bike insurance certificate

V5C, i take a copy

private travel/medical insurance to include bikes

the card that replaced the E111 (can't remember the name)

cheers

mike

Swiss Francs, Euro is widely accepted in Switzerland but you may get done on the exchange rate. IIRC £1 = 2SFr.

Take passport, driving licence and E111 along with proof of insurance.

paperwork

its a good idea to get swiss francs if you are staying a few days
also take....

passport
driving license
insurance documents
mot (if required)
breakdown/recovery documents (you may need to ring a different number if outside the uk)
credit card
debit card
cash
european health insurance card (EHIC.)it replaced the E111 get a form from the post office or order online,it usually arrives in less than a week,its a plastic credit card sized thing much easier to carry than a big E111 form.

when you get to switzerland you may need to buy a road tax sticker,only a couple of quid and possibly only needed if you use their motorways.not altogether sure if this was necassery in switzerland but definetly in austria,my memory isnt that great.

theres more

not sure if im teaching my granny to suck eggs here but to travel through france you need to carry a first aid kit and a spare bulb kit,plus i think it is now law that you have to have a hi-viz vest for each member of your party in case of a breakdown on the motorway.

Carry a photocopy of your passport seperate from the original. if you lose your passport it makes life a lot easier.
Dont know when you're going but the Euro rate at the moment is as high as 1.48 to the £ on the high street, shop round a bit, Marks and Spencers do a reasonable deal. Carry enough cash to pay any speeding fine should you be unfortunate to be zapped in France (150 Euros) French police dont accept plastic.
I copy everything and leave a copy in the U.K with family, helped me out once when I was dipped in Paris. Keep credit card hotline number (stolen cards) somewhere safe.

Enjoy

The Swiss motorway carnet is around £25 - bit of a tourist tax there. May be worth avoiding motorways if you can.

E111 card no use in Switzerland - they are not in EU.

I scan important documents and then e-mail to myself so I can access via MSN if away.

Don't get too worried by all the regulations - they seem much less important now I've done a dozen or so tours. I guess in case of accident les Flics may get shirty, but the attitude to bikers in europe is very refreshing. Even when caught speeding all they have wanted was my picture licence and me to say I owned the bike.

I met a biker getting on the ferry last autumn - he was on a Suzi 1000 & was going down to Les Vosgues for 4 days with ONLY a bum bag! - 2 credit cards, spare pair of pants and an open mind. Good on 'im.

The more miles I travel the more important I feel it is to take less, to relax, and to be more ambitious.

Above all, just do it and enjoy!!

i forgot to add the logbook,if you dont have this you cant prove ownership of the bike and in theory they could impound your bike(thanks for the reminder bladerunner) again,i have never known it to happen but i wouldnt want to be the first.

I always take good quality colour copies of docs instead of the originals. Austrian, Czech and German cops non the wiser (all on the same trip:blast )

Good idea to e-mail yourself with scanned copies of docs as well.

Just enjoy the trip and you`ll find you`ll pack about twice as much as you need but you`ll know for next time! :thumb

good call,i usually take enough clothes to last between half way and three quarters of the way round,just about every town has a laundrette,just take t-shirts and underwear all the same colour then bang it all in one wash.only take things that you WILL need,dont take anything that you MIGHT need,you can buy anything you need over there.i never take a towel as they take up a lot of room in a bag and all hotels have clean fresh ones.

Launderette ??? Pack a 100ml bottle of travel wash. If staying somewhere for couple of days wash your clothes in the shower or bath when washing yourself.

Rohan or similar travel type clothing generally dries overnight and also packs down small. Try to resist the temptation to pack more into the space. 3 sets of underwear usually suffices; one on, one / washed & drying, and one in the bag for changing. A couple of shirts, a light fleece and a pair of trousers and you have enought clothes to stay on the road indefinitely.

Berghaus t-shirts with x-static silver filament are also good; these stay fresh for longer!

Whatever you do don't subscribe to the Ewan McGregor type of travelling; overloaded bike and three back up vehicles to carry all the gear. He seemed to carry more clothes than M&S.

ive washed stuff in the bath/shower before but i find sticking the stuff in a machine then over the road to a bar,two beers,back to the laundrette stick your gear in the dryer,back for a couple more beers then your stuff is ready,after all......it is an holiday:beerjug: :thumb :Motomartin

Would I be missing a hell of a lot if I went through italy rather than Switzerland? I have been told to take in Slovenia, so heading through italy may make more sense. Is there lots of good passes everywhere?

Would I be missing a hell of a lot if I went through italy rather than Switzerland? I have been told to take in Slovenia, so heading through italy may make more sense. Is there lots of good passes everywhere?

I'd prefer Italy to Switzerland any time... especially the Dolomites. Then of course you're next to Slovenia :thumb

Chose roads on a map that are twisty, run alongside rivers, lots of green and brown on the map, head for the open roads and passes in the mountains... keep out of cities... and you'll not go far wrong :D

Enjoy

:beerjug:
www.adventure.gs

Down through France, bit of Germany, into Austria and onto Solvenia would be my choice, stopping at Lake Bled for a day or two. On to the Dolomites for more fun and games.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom