Mapsource and Vista

(RIP) Shenzi

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have tried to load Mapsource on my new laptop which has Vista Home Premium as the OS. After installation I clicked on Mapsource and it came up with a problem in the Mapsource registry, reinstall, I did with the same results!
Just checked on the Garmin UK site and can't find anything related to Vista.
Has anyone loaded Mapsource onto a PC with Vista?

I'd guess that you'd need the new version of mapsource that works with Vista then ;)

:thumb2

I have downloaded that onto my desktop computer and will copy it to the laptop but I thought one would need Mapsource to be up and running before one can update it :nenau I can't find any reference to Vista on the update either :nenau
BTW, the Vista version I have, Home Premium is incredibly irritating. Click on a command and a dialogue bow pops up and asks if you give your permission for that command :blast :spitfire

I have downloaded that onto my desktop computer and will copy it to the laptop but I thought one would need Mapsource to be up and running before one can update it :nenau I can't find any reference to Vista on the update either :nenau
BTW, the Vista version I have, Home Premium is incredibly irritating. Click on a command and a dialogue bow pops up and asks if you give your permission for that command :blast :spitfire

The blurb on that page says it's compatible with Vista.....not tried it meself though....I tried Vista briefly but ditched it pretty quickly :)

I believe you can stop all or most of those access permission prompts btw......do a search on Vista gripes or vista workarounds and you should find lots of info on it.

Serious question; why would anybody buy Vista ?

It appears to be a very expensive upgrade that only provides film and record companies with extra DRM options.

The blurb on that page says it's compatible with Vista.....not tried it meself though....I tried Vista briefly but ditched it pretty quickly :)

I believe you can stop all or most of those access permission prompts btw......do a search on Vista gripes or vista workarounds and you should find lots of info on it.

Thanks Bill, will do!:thumb

Serious question; why would anybody buy Vista ?

It appears to be a very expensive upgrade that only provides film and record companies with extra DRM options.

On looking for a new machine this weekend, there are few you can buy from the main manufactures without it one now, there are a few re-conditioned / secondhand options with XP, but Vista is the new system and you get it if you want it or not with a new computer.....Microsoft world dominance isn't far away

Thanks for the heads up on the new verison of mapsource required.:thumb

Is someone able to talk me through this.................
I've just got my new Vista Laptop.
Do I need to download the Mapsource programme from the Garmin site as suggested by Fanum or do I first just load in my CN8 NT software and then update from the website.
I'd rather get it right from the start, to save loading and unloading etc etc.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys.
Paul

Shenzi ... watching this one with interest :(

I have only had a very quick test drive on vista premium and I have to say I was impressed. If we can't use Map Source though I will stick to XP :blast

Sorry guys, I did as Fanum suggested and now it all works well, thanks Bill:beerjug:

Steve, thanks for the tip about the control panel etc:beerjug:

I've Vista Business on my machine. I downloaded the Garmin update as suggested by Fanum, then downloaded my MapSource CN8 from the original CD. Updated it from the downloaded programme.
Everything works perfectly, just as it did on my old XP Pro.
As an aside, things are different with Vista, as they were when 95 changed to 98 and then to XP. As a bit of a dinosaur I don't find the transformation easy, but it works as a computer much as all my earlier machines did.

Paul

Back
Top Bottom