Santander to Malaga 26th April 07

Seatownmaster

Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm taking the Plymouth to Santander Ferry on the 25th April (arriving 26th) and riding down to Malaga to start a tour of Morocco on the 27th/28th.
If anyone would like to ride with me I would welcome the company. Oh, and I have a GPS but always get lost so some help reading maps would be great.
:type

Ive done that exact ride and I didn't get lost once even without a gps or a map! I can get lost going to work in the morning!
I followed the signs to Madrid and then followed the signs to Malaga and Torremolinos and thats it. The worst thing is the markers at the side of the road that count EVERY KM down to Madrid and then Every KM away . Incredibly tedious. Make sure you have music to listen to!

Santander Malaga

Don't forget that the Santander ferry doesn't usually arrive until about 10.30 (and sometimes later) and as you will invariably be on the lowest level it can be another 30 mins before you get off the boat.

An alternative ( and possibly) slightly more scenic route through Spain is to travel via Salamanca and Seville, then turn left at Jerez for Algeciras. Distance either way is almost exactly the same at about 650 miles IIRC. I did that last time, stopped at Merida for the night and made Algeciras by lunchtime on day two in time to get across to Ceuta by about 4.00pm

Mike

Do what Mike says...............have done it this way and the roads are great..:thumb .........Madrid is a nightmare...:( ..............;)

Adrian

Maybe I have a high boredom threshold, but I find the 'standard' route through Spain (Burgos, Madrid, Granada) quite interesting so long as the weather is OK. Good views, sweeping roads, occasional twisties, easy-to-find roadside accommodation in 2 or 3-star hostels and hotels. Sometimes Madrid is busy, other times you can ride through not dropping below 60mph. The real disadvantage of that route is what I call the 'Autopiste de Muerte', the AP-7 section between Malaga and Algeciras which can be highly dangerous with drivers cutting you up.

For a change I did mike6631's alternative of Burgos - Salamanca - Seville on one run down last year. I expected it to take quite a bit longer but in fact it's a quick route and will become even quicker with the amount of road improvements being put into place. It's not quite so easy to find roadside accommodation but it's an interesting ride, especially the final stage from Jerez to Algeciras, and I will probably take it on my next trip.

Tim

Morocco Trip

Hi Tim,
Have read a couple of your posts and like many before me am off to Fes in May and want to get bike insurance for the section in Morocco. Is it best to get it on the border in spain and if so how much? The wife and i plan to do the Santander plymouth sailing and then accross spain via the senic route. I normally do Malta but thinks Morocco should be a good test of the bike.

Rgs :thumb2
Mick

When you get off the ferry, wave at the two GS's getting on! We will be heading for home after leaving Timolgra's tour early :(
Mark

want to get bike insurance for the section in Morocco. Is it best to get it on the border in spain and if so how much?

The best option if your insurance company will do it, is to get them to issue a green card valid for Morocco as there should be little or no cost involved.

Otherwise, check out Morocco knowledgebase for the costs of border insurance which you will need to buy in either Fnediq (the border near Ceuta) or Tanger.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that, i did see your info on morocco only need one week, bennents insurance wont cover me for morocco, :blast wont re-insure with them again. :beerjug: Have a attached 'i think' my route, looks very main roady!! do you have any advise on smaller off road tracks, bearing in mind i have the wife on the back! :nenau

Whats the weather like in May?

Regards

Mick

Back
Top Bottom