Guards

nud1e

Reaction score
I am not a Guard.

Many years ago, I may well have frightened you as I blasted past your pram, but that is by the way, so once again many years, we were pulled in for petrol, at the junction of the Tullamore road and Dublin road in Kilbeggan. I was looking down the Dublin road at a small Fiat that was approaching at considerable speed. Near the 30 limit at the school, I noticed a rotund Garda slowly step from the pavement into the road and raise his hand. The 4 young persons in the car were in oblivious animated conversation, until a girl in the back seat looked up, saw the Garda full square in their path and commenced to scream. The young man driving took his eyes from the lovely young thing beside him, saw the rapidly growing blue uniform that was filling his windscreen and literally stood on the brake, the front of the car dipping violently.
I was enthralled at the drama being played out 200 yards in front of me, would the car stop, would the Garda leap from the road, would it all end in tragedy?
The tail of the car had swung to the left, the driver's eyes were bulging, his mouth open in a silent scream and his knuckles glaringly white as his hands clenched the steering wheel. The lovely young thing beside him had buried her head in her hands, the rear passengers had been flung forward and were staring at the Garda in horror.
On squealing, smoking tyres, the car slid forward at about 45 degrees and came to a shuddering stop.
The Garda put down his hand. He stood less than 2 feet from the car and then he slowly made his way to the driver's window.
The driver was slumped across the wheel, the rear seat passengers were clinging to one and other, while the lovely young thing sobbed.

That Garda frightened me. I knew that I would not have stood my ground. Was he too thick to feel fear or was it that he was so determined to assert his authority?

I've passed that spot many times over the years since and the memory of that day is ever refreshed and I have never, ever, exceeded the speed limit approaching Kilbeggan from any direction, for fear of what might step into my path.

Now away to bed with you children, and another time I'll tell you the story of Garda Rose and his Garda friend from Dundalk, who charged Nud1e and his friends with dangerous driving, how we ended up behind bars and defended ourselves in court.
Away to bed with ye, and don't have me to come up to ya.

I am not a Guard.

Last edited:
I'd say the guard was frozen to the road with fear. Thats why he stood his ground....... of course he could just have been a thick country boy :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I can't decide who is the best at tellin' stories, you or The Celt.

So when do we hear the story of Garda Rose and his Garda friend
from Dundalk ?

Back
Top Bottom