Making a 2610 to Starcom audio lead

Andy Mitchell

Can anyone tell me, can i simply make up my own lead with 2.5 and 3.5 mm plugs to connect the Garmin audio out scoket on power cable to my Starcom system just like my MP3 and phone? Do I really need the £25 screened and suppressed lead supplied by Starcom? Seems to be some talk here that without it I could damage the sound card in teh 2610. Maplin weren't sure what to sell me to make up a similar lead. Presumably just a capacitor but what size. Any advice much appreciated. Probably end up just shelling out for the correct part I guess.

I have a Gramin Starcom 2610 lead I would like to sell. It fits the 2610 and terminates in bare wire for connection direct to the battery. It is fused.

I would accept £12.50 i you wanted it. Through various shinnanegins I have ended up with two.

PM me if you are interested.

Sounds like the Power lead. I've actually got the lead that provides power to the GPS (all wired in and fine) and has a audio socket spliced in near the top. Its the cable I want that goes from this to the starcom I need. - No power involved so no fuse. Are you sure its a fuse? Do you have a product code for it/ did you get it from Starcom? If it is the lead then yes I'm interested. (Not sure I can pm as I'm not a site sponsor yet!) Cheers.

Andy

You are right. I'm sorry for sending you up the graden path. I've got the power/audio connection lead to connect the garmin to the battery and onto the audio lead to the Starcom.

Sorry for any confusion.

Dave

If you are getting "crackle" through a standard lead, then you'll need to invest in an isolated lead.

If you are getting "crackle" through a standard lead, then you'll need to invest in an isolated lead.

Haven't tried it yet so not sure if I'll get noise or not. Less worried about this, more worried regarding some posting that indicate its possible to damage GPS unit without lead being supressed. Anyone know for sure? Don't want to knacker my unit for the sake of a few quid. Got one of the last GPS Warehouse deals- amazing!

Haven't tried it yet so not sure if I'll get noise or not. Less worried about this, more worried regarding some posting that indicate its possible to damage GPS unit without lead being supressed. Anyone know for sure? Don't want to knacker my unit for the sake of a few quid. Got one of the last GPS Warehouse deals- amazing!
Sorry, can't properly comment since I live on the Autocom side of the fence. It wouldn't knacker an Autocom, and I don't see how it would do so to a Starcom either.

Thanks for comments. I've just talked to a really helpful techy at Stacom who explained it all. Seems it is essential to have the correct lead as it contains an inline isolation transformer. As both units (GPS and Starcom) are running off the same powere supply, this is essesntial and you do risk damaging the GPS without it. Seems plausable to me so there goes another £25.
On another point also talked about how crucial it is that headset speakers are positioned exacatly right or you end up haveing to run the volume above 30% which apparently shouldn't be necessary. Also with the new mikes they sell, it is even more essential that they are touching your lips for Vox to work as to cut out extraneous noise they are very 'insensitive'. They seem to be very happy to provide support and happy also for you to vist for them to check your system out. Good company to deal with.

I am pleased to hear that Starcom were helpful and patient in their explanations.
They (and Autocom and Baehr) have had some good feedback recently.
I have isolated leads for all the inputs to my Autocom system incidentally, so have had to pay out like you.

Back
Top Bottom