Is Quest memory enough?

doc3

Hi. Sorry my first post is on a rather dull subject!

I've been considering the Garmin 2610 for sometime, but have considered it for so long it's no longer available! So I'm now looking at the quest. I read the comments on this site, and the only thing that worries me is the memory. Is this really a problem? Obviously it can hold the uk maps and a bit of europe, but, for example, can it hold the maps for a jaunt down to morocco and back? I'd be interested in limitations people have found. Or good alternatives in the same price band (£200ish, must be available now, i'm happy with a refurb unit if it has a warrantee). Thanks in advance :)

Yes, it'll hold the mapping for a trip to Morocco and back.

Unless you're doing a full tour of Europe and need street level mapping for a lot of it, the memory isn't a problem.

Even then , there are ways 'round it...

The memory of a Quest isn't a problem ;)

Thanks, you convinced me (easily done!). It's now ordered before i have time to change my mind. It looks like the GUI isn't as pretty as the tomtom i currently have for the car, but i'll sell that and i'm sure it wil lbe soon forgotten!

Keep the TomTom for the car if you can, as it is better than the Quest at getting you from A-B (you can enter postcodes etc.) The Quest is definitely better for the bike, as you can plot your routes on a PC in Mapsource and upload them to the Quest - amongst many other useful features. But the Quest method for finding addresses isn't as easy to use as the one in TomTom.

Will check later when I'm on my main PC but I don't think you'll be able to do UK to Morocco and back on a Quest using City Navigator v8 or v9, you could rely on the basemap for long stretches on the autoroute and just upload areas you want street level detail. There are other methods, using a paper map for the long boring bits or getting a copy of Metroguide Europe v8 (latest current version) that can be made routeable on the Quest by using MetroWizzz, the only downside of this is that on roundabouts you don't get, for example, "take the 3rd exit" but "turn left" instead via audio. The Quest's screen will show the roundabout and the exit you need if you're in any doubt.

I don't know how big the v8 or 9 maps are in comparison with v6, but I've just done a route from Peterborough (where doc3 says he lives in his profile) to Algeciras, then included all of the Moroccan Topo maps as well. (22mb for those)

143 maps, 99.1 MB.

So unless the v8/0 maps are two and a half times bigger than the v6, it'll fit, piece of pish ;)

I don't know how big the v8 or 9 maps are in comparison with v6, but I've just done a route from Peterborough (where doc3 says he lives in his profile) to Algeciras, then included all of the Moroccan Topo maps as well. (22mb for those)

143 maps, 99.1 MB.

So unless the v8/0 maps are two and a half times bigger than the v6, it'll fit, piece of pish ;)

Another numpty here :eek:

I'll be doing the same trip in May so am interested in this thread. When you talk about 'Moroccan Topo maps' do you mean the 'base' Garmin map that is in the unit or is this something more detailed that I can get hold of :nenau

Cheers
Andres

Another numpty here :eek:

I'll be doing the same trip in May so am interested in this thread. When you talk about 'Moroccan Topo maps' do you mean the 'base' Garmin map that is in the unit or is this something more detailed that I can get hold of :nenau

Cheers
Andres

No, the base map is next to useless.

You've got two choices really.....1) Garmin Worldmap....that's routable and not too bad, it contains much more info on smaller towns and roads than the base map, or
2) the Topo Map overlay.
The Topo info is fantastic, very detailed but it's an overlay so it's not routeable.

Download it from http://www.island-olaf.de/travel/marokko/gps.html

I seem to have my problem back with being unable to take screenshots so I can't show you what it looks like, but it's small (22mb for all of Morocco) and very good.

Thanks Bill :)

To translate into English then :eek: , by using this map I can see where I am on the Quest but not get it to tell me where to go, so to speak :nenau

I presume I need to down load both the road map and the topo map from the link you gave (using the exe file) :nenau

Sorry the questions are soooooo basic............................ :mmmm

Andres

Thanks Bill :)

To translate into English then :eek: , by using this map I can see where I am on the Quest but not get it to tell me where to go, so to speak :nenau

I presume I need to down load both the road map and the topo map from the link you gave (using the exe file) :nenau

Sorry the questions are soooooo basic............................ :mmmm

Andres

You can plan a route on the top map by making loads of waypoints along a road etc, then navigating from point to point in straight lines.....it will show you the way to go but you won't get turn by turn instructions.

And yes, use the exe file.......IIRC that's all I did, then open mapsource and the topo map overlay should appear in the drop down menu.

It's very very accurate....I'd post a pic to show how good it s but my screenshots aren't working :(

143 maps, 99.1 MB.

Well, I take it back, apologies to you and the OP. The same start and end points as you give 145MB using CN v8. However, trust me on the vast difference between CS v6 and CN v8. Peterborough to Napoli ( a similar distance) comes to 247MB in CN v8 when compared to 114MB in CS v6. This is mainly a product of the tile sizes being so much bigger and thus including lots more off-route detail that you don't really want. Fine if you have lots of free memory as in the more recent Garmin products but tough on Quest users who only have 243MB to play with.

If you the same route but come back via Barcelona then, with CN v8, you're looking at 263MB. In City Select v6 I get 73MB for this... hmmm, not sure what route you're taking in your original example as I make that only 57MB which does make the same route in CN v8 2.5 x!

You only have to go near a place like London or Paris and you're looking at serious MB.

Is it possible to replace the memory chip with a larger one.
Other people have asked the same question (search news groups) but I haven't heard of anyone trying, let alone succeeding. I imagine that the chip is soldered to the board which would make it nigh on impossible to do without making a horlicks of it and subsequently consigning your Quest to the bin. Additionally, even if you were successful, the firmware might only address the original part of the memory and you would need to find a way of getting the base-map, and any other persistent data, from the old chip onto the new one.

No, the base map is next to useless.

You've got two choices really.....
1) Garmin Worldmap....that's routable and not too bad, it contains much more info on smaller towns and roads than the base map, or
2) the Topo Map overlay.
The Topo info is fantastic, very detailed but it's an overlay so it's not routeable.

Download it from http://www.island-olaf.de/travel/marokko/gps.html

I seem to have my problem back with being unable to take screenshots so I can't show you what it looks like, but it's small (22mb for all of Morocco) and very good.

FYI, I just saw "choice #3" pop up over on AdvRider. Here is the linky:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197925&highlight=garmin+world

It's called 'Wanderlust GPS World Map'

I believe the cost if $50 for lifetime upgrading licenses.

- Sam

Back
Top Bottom