Anyone ridden a 33bhp 600?

Firegus

Reaction score
My son is about to take his motorcycle test and will be restricted to 33bhp for 2 years [he had a scooter from 16 to 17, then an Aprilia RS125 until he wrote it of in Nov 2006]:(
We are looking for a "big" bike for after his test and he has spotted an immaculate 1999 Kawa ZX6R with 20k miles for £2,700.
Has anyone ridden a 600 sports with a restrictor fitted. I feel that as the power on these bike are mostly at the top end and as the restriction is at the throttle cables he will end up with a bike with no grunt.
Is it the case that something like an SV650 would have more power lower down the revs and therefore would be a better prospect.:confused:

Both of them are going to cost around 2k :eek: to insure fully comp [due to his claim] but he will be able to get a newer SV650 for the same money.

Thanks in anticipation

No idea, but make sure you put him in his place on a regular basis....you know the sort of thing, every time you see him start making 'vroom, vroom' noises and don't forget to overtake him at every opportunity.

The sooner he learns who's boss the better :D

PS. This probably hasn't helped :D :D

I had a ride on a mates Bandit 600 which was restricted to 33 bhp. It wasn't that bad up to about 90 where it did tail off rapidly. I guess that without a non-restricted one to ride beside, it's hard to make a proper judgement, but it would be fine to ride about on whilst in the restriction period.

Here's a hint, torque isn't restricted.

A 4c develops its max torque at max revs while a 2c (SV650) develops it's max torque below 33bhp.

In a nut shell, get a SV650. :thumb

I rode my sons 600 Bandit when it was restricted, and thought it was quite quick enough for a new rider, as Smeggy says it was nippy up to about 90 then tailed off somewhat..

Overall a good 'first time' bike. :thumb

i've trained a good few riders on restricted bikes.
the best advice so far here is the point about torque:thumb

otherwise it varies SO much between bikes - it'll do yer head in:blast

an SV650 or similar is a good type to go for, due to THE WAY the power is delivered.

(edited out a lot more shi...info - it only confuses!)

hth
~~
Og

SV650

My eldest has a nice 55 plate SV650 Blue coloured the faired one on a restrictor
Will be for sale soon for under £3000 to finance a van for his new business venture
Cracking bike, restrictor dosent hold it back that much Swop to normal mode is a simple plug in control boxswop Two second job
Brilliant first big bike
Frank

I had a Bandit 600 that was unrestricted with end can mod on it and it went very well indeed. My wife took her test and failed on the 500 twice that she ended up taking it on a 125. She passed and we had a restriction kit fitted to the Bandit for her.:thedummy What a difference. The standard can was put back on and it was like riding a whole new bike...... Horrible. No grunt and absolutley gutless. I used to enjoy riding that bike until the restrictor was put on. After 6 months of riding it my wife hated it and was even thinking about quitting riding. We decided to remove the kit :nono and she loved it. Risky I know but the only way to tell would have been by placing the bike on a rolling road to check power delivery. Anyway restriction lifted she now rides a 06 GSX-R 600 and loves every minute of it.....

The torque is the most important thing in my mind, both bikes will probably top at 90, which is enough.
But, I don`t want him to get a bike that will feel "strangled"
My thoughts are for an SV650.

BTW on windy roads it was hard to shake the wee bugger off on his RS125, as it could hit 80 even when restricted and stuck to the road like sh*t to a blanket.

How long wil it really stay "restricted" for :D

When i was 17 if I'd had a 33BHP 600 the restrictor would of been out as soon as i got it home :aidan

But then again I was a bit wayward back then :rob

I rode my sons 600 Bandit when it was restricted, and thought it was quite quick enough for a new rider, as Smeggy says it was nippy up to about 90 then tailed off somewhat..

Overall a good 'first time' bike. :thumb

sounds much the same as my mates hornet 600 when he had it restricted

go for it :)

My son is about to take his motorcycle test and will We are looking for a "big" bike for after his test and he has spotted an immaculate 1999 Kawa ZX6R with 20k miles for £2,700./QUOTE]

I had a 2001 zx6 (unrestricted), made most of its power from 6k upwards but was ok lower down the rev range. It was a lovely handling bike, quite big for a 600 and if I rung it's neck not far off my mates blackbird in terms of speed/ acceleration, i'd definitely buy another one.:)

I know a couple of people who have had a ZX6R restricted - some of whom kept the restrictor in for a while :eek:
They were very happy with them - the biggest hurdle for a 17/18 year old on a sportsbike is the insurance! It can cost more than the bike.

Moody,

Can you remember what your mates` ZX6R revved to just to get an idea of what it will be like when I test drive it?

Agree with Smeggy's post re twins delivering max torque at low revs, but experience with several friends restricted bikes suggests to me that the restriction affects different bikes in different ways, ie failure to max out revs, or severe tail off of power, both of which can cut in at the most inopportune moments. My advice would be to buy a bike that is already restricted and test ride it first to see how the performance is affected, or buy a lesser bike which is designed to develop 33 bhp or less, but in a predictable manner. I think your son may have less ' moments ' doing it this way.

Firegus said:
We are looking for a "big" bike for after his test ...... a 600 sports with a restrictor fitted. Both of them are going to cost around £2k :eek: to insure fully comp
Who's paying? Good opportunity (IMHO) to get him into the fold :D . I've ridden SWMBO's restricted F650GS quite a bit and it goes really well, loads of fun. Do you really want him jumping on a ballistic crotch rocket in two years time?

Whatever he gets, remind him: "It's better to be five minutes late in this world ........ blah blah :rob ."

Regards, Mick :beerjug:

Moody,

Can you remember what your mates` ZX6R revved to just to get an idea of what it will be like when I test drive it?

I think she said it was restricted in the throttle bodies and the throttle itself......she only got 1/4 turn on it and maximum of 12k revs.
But the power was smooth and easy to manage.
Sorry, that's all I know.
You might try posting a question on

mcnninjas

Rode my Sons

I rode his Fazer600 to and from the dealers to have the restrictor kit fitted, big difference as you would expect felt like the choke was on. Still revs out in the lower gears and a big step from his 125 so he is happy, the top speed (private road etc) seems to be 110 indicated.

Bought my missus a monster600 with a 33 bhp kit when she passed her 125 test. it was fine,a good way of getting used to a bigger bike with the advantage of being able to take the kit off when allowed. I agree that a SV650 would be the top choice, a gr8 little bike.:thumb2

Back
Top Bottom