Garmin Zumo 550 from the USA

CaptainD

I am thinking of buying a second Garmin Zumo 550 for my wife to use. Does anyone know if I bought a unit from the good old USA if I would be able to load all the European base maps on to it using my Europe DVD that I have already have from my original unit.

The price saving looks very attractive right now but if anyone has any thoughts on any problems (operational, warranty or anything else !) of my latest "great" idea I would love to hear them.

If anyone knows of a UK source for a Zumo 550 for less than £450 inc VAT please let me know.

Thanks in advance for all you advice

Captain D

In theory this should work.
The USA mapfile can simply be deleted and replaced by the EU files if you have an original USA Mapsource dvd + unlock code.
The pain is, I don't know anyone yet that has tried it out so far. I know of a few yanks looking to do the same.....

And I am intrested as well, since I am going to the USA later this year.

You should be able to load City Navigator NT aswell as having US mapping, but the cost of buying Euro mapping will outway the advantage of buying a cheap US 550, unless you specifically want US mapping aswell. Ofcourse, you may also get stung by the VAT man aswell :(

Just came across this thread on the USA Zumo board.

gforce said:
Just got off the phone with Chris at Garmin Tech in KS. In add'n to the 800 numbers, they can be emailed at techsupp@garmin.com.

Here's the skinny:

1. Zumo accommodates BOTH NT and non-NT files. But the NT is the "New Technology" which uses less memory, so it's preferable if all else is equal.

2. Zumo has 115MB of free memory available without uninstalling the std Europe or North America databases (each of which is appx 2G).

3. The NT SD card will work but it's read-only; route planning on the laptop couldn't be loaded onto the card. (I must say I didn't ask if it could be uploaded to the Zumo's free memory, then used in conjunction with the SD card in the slot.) The advantage of the card is that the data stays there; there would be no need to decide whether to uninstall some of the NA database to make room for all or part of Europe.

4. The CN Europe NT DVD will run on the Zumo. (Any NT database will run.) And Chris suggests that the best play (for my occasional Europe needs) would be to get the NT Europe DVD and download those parts I want, together with any routes I plan, to an SD card, then pop the card into the Zumo and go.

Back
Top Bottom