southern morocco and western sahara

fartoofastforme

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, anyone know of any b=bs, hostels or hotels going down the atlantic route this september. thanks martin

You won't have a problem...there are lots en-route.

Can't remember any specific ones TBH (though I've got a fair few campsites w/pointed), but there are always people around- you'll find that as you ride into a town, there will be little blokes on scooters who will come along and offer to find you a place......we (being cynical Brits ) told them to bugger off to start with, but on more recent trips we've used them and they're very good.

They'll want a few quid out of it, but we had one guy running around for several hours trying to find us somewhere in a town that seemed to be pretty fully booked up.......don't assume they're out to rob you or anything, it's worth trusting them IME.

The rough guide and lonely planet books are also very good, though they tend to be a little out of date- definitely worth taking though :thumb

Are you going to do Nouadhibou-Noukchott off piste or on the road BTW???

I've got tracklogs that might help ;)

Hi,

As someone said to me I hope you like sand!! From Oct/Nov 2006:

Sidi Ifni: Bellevue Hotel and Nomad restaurant
Laayoun: Expensive because of UN reps billeted there. 22m north a few miles
off the road (west) there is a campsite - Le Roi Bedouin
Camping and bungalows available plus food. Excellent.
Boujdour: OK hotel there. Didn't stay but recommended by another biker.
Dahkla: Hotel Doumss on the main road into the city on the left.
Border with Mauritania: Last filling station in Morocco has accommodation.
Nouadhibou: Camping Abba - basic.
Nouakchott: Lots of hotels and huge price range. Auberge du Petit Paris ok.

Enjoy.

Peter.:thumb2

roads

Thanks, I am going all the way down the atlantic route, only going off piste by mistake if I get lost 1 :ymca

Thanks for the info on hotels too, I am going to buy a sat nav and try to use it on the way so I can find the interesting ship wrecks I see from google earth, also I intend to follow some of the route travelled by James Riley when he got shipwrecked on Cape Boujdour in18 something and survived as slaves to the natives in the desert which is in his book Sufferings in Africa.

Thanks, I am going all the way down the atlantic route, only going off piste by mistake if I get lost 1 :ymca

Thanks for the info on hotels too, I am going to buy a sat nav and try to use it on the way so I can find the interesting ship wrecks I see from google earth, also I intend to follow some of the route travelled by James Riley when he got shipwrecked on Cape Boujdour in18 something and survived as slaves to the natives in the desert which is in his book Sufferings in Africa.

1815 - great book. Amazing what humans can survive in the most hostile of environments.

It would be hard to go on piste by mistake!!!! Apart from the border crossing between Morocco and Mauritania the road south is ok to excellent.:thumb2

Suggest you don't get lost then. :eek: :eek:

Rough translation: The old Spanish asphalt road is mined on the left. A Nissan Patrol with two French guys hit an antitank mine and three antipersonnel mines. The vehicle was thrown 15 metres and completely destroyed. The 61 year-old passenger died of internal bleeding.

Tim

Attachments

• landmine.jpg
    landmine.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 142
Suggest you don't get lost then. :eek: :eek:

Rough translation: The old Spanish asphalt road is mined on the left. A Nissan Patrol with two French guys hit an antitank mine and three antipersonnel mines. The vehicle was thrown 15 metres and completely destroyed. The 61 year-old passenger died of internal bleeding.

Tim

Wow! how on earth did they get that far over to the east I wonder? :confused: My sympathies to their family(ies) though.

If in doubt there are always guides there although the piste is clear, if very rough, but obviously better to be safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom