GPS V Tracback problem

Gecko

Reaction score
You may have read in the thread about the version 2.30 software being released for the GPS V that I have encountered a problem since upgrading.

I would be very grateful if any GPS V owners/users out there check how their tracback works and let me know if it is before or after they upgraded to 2.30.

Before the upgrade I was able to call up saved tracks and rerun them . The on screen view was always very similar to the normal routing screen view i.e. a bold grey line would highlight the road you needed to follwo and the grey line followed the road exactly.

After the upgrade the bold grey line has disappeared and is replaced by a weak line that looks a bit like this ' =======' and it no longer follows the road - it now points in a straight line from point to point. There is a 'lock on road' feature which I have tried in both ON and OFF mode but it makes no difference.

I have been in contact with Garmin and 2 different techies there, one in Garmin Europe and the other in the USA have told me that the tracback funtionality as I have described Before the upgrade was never like that - they are both telling me that it works as I describe in the After the upgrade .

This is bollox with a big dose of Bullsh#t !!! :spitfire: :spitfire: I know what this machine could do and have been using it for almost 2 years . I have recorded numerous ride out tracks and then re run them months later using the tracback feature. To be told by some spotty little herbert that it doesn't work like that has pissed me off somewhat.

Please check your GPS V's and let me know what your machine does because I really miss this feature on mine and I want it back.

Meanwhile if you haven't upgraded to 2.30 I suggest you wait a while otherwise you may have the same grief I now have.

I am sure that I had a bold line too. I upgraded and got the ==== I reverted back to 2.20 and lost all my tracks, waypoints etc.
My GPS V had reverted back to factory settings:mad:

I had not saved all my tracks to my PC either:mad: :mad: .

Any way, went for a spin after resetting my gps and on V2.20 the track looked just like v2.30:confused:

Think I will leave it as it is for a while. :(

Hi Keith
Yep - this is what happened to me. I'll let you know how i get on with Garmin but to be honest my expectataions are not that high. I may downgrade back to 2.0 or earlier until I get back to the 'as was' tracback before I upgraded to 2.30.
Cheers
Gecko

Gecko,
Can you tell me how to revert to before 2.20. So that I can get my track back to work as it used to.
I have only got 2.20 & 2.30 on my PC
I cant find the answer on the garmin pages.

cheers

Good question Keith - I was assuming I could go back to an earlier version by downloading something from the Garmin site . I haven't had time to check yet.

I only have the 2.2 and 2.3 on this PC I am on now but I'll check mine at home tonite and see if I have an earlier package there and try it. If it works I'll post here and let you know where you can get it from.

The guys at Garmin assured me that by reverting back to 2.2 from the new 2.3 that everything would be 'as was'......like hell it was - I lost my tracks, routes and waypoints and kept the useless tracback function that they gave out in 2.30.

We'll get it sorted in due course but who needs the hassle. I am off to Germany this weekend and I was hoping to re run some tracks from last year - fat chance of that now :(

Keith
I have found a source for the 2.02 firmware here http://gpsinformation.net . I downloaded it and installed it but my machine locked up midway through the restart so I had to perform the Master Reset (see other thread I posted today).

The unit seems to be running OK but I haven't been able to get outside yet to let it hook up to the satelites. Once I have this sorted I will upload 2.20 again and hopefully I'll be back to the beginning before I made the mistake of upgrading to 2.30.

I would suggest hanging on a while longer and I'll test fly this to see if it all works , if it does I post again to recommend it ...or not :D

The guys at Garmin have been very helpful and sympathetic and they agree that the tracback is worse now than pre 2.30. The 2.30 has just reduced the number of pixels used to display the track. In doing so they have made it so feint as to be unreadable. They have escalated this to the programmers so hopefully next upgrade will fix it properly.

Back
Top Bottom