Lysefjorden ferry

Genesis

Hi all
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this has been asked before but I couldn't find an answer on the old threads.
I'm travelling to Norway on the 20th May and hoping to make my way round the Baltic in 2 weeks. I will, sadly - after seeing the photos on the site, only be in Norway for a couple of days but wanted to visit Lysebotn and sail the Lysefjorden to Forsand. My problem is that I can't work out when the ferry runs. I have seen that there is a ferry that will take vehicles that leaves Lysebotn at 15:30 (do you need to book - someone in one of the links seemed to get left at the terminal as they hadn't booked) but I don't know if the ferry has started to run on the 20th May. Most of the tourist boats only seem to start their season on the 1st June. The high speed ferry (the Kolumbus one I think) seems to be running but I am not sure and the 2nd and 3rd nights of my tour kind of depend on getting to Forsand and up to Roldal.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks
Dave

Hi!

I have been there!:thumb2
I'm not sure when the road up from Lysebotn are opens after winter, but I'll try to find out for you.
No road - no boat.

Give me a day or two!
:) Liv, -a native.

Hi Dave!

I've been surfing the internet:
As far as I can see there'll be a ferry leaving Lysebotn 15.30 = 3.30pm all days except Saturdays. And because it arrives Forsand after only one hour it is not the slow tourist route, but the fast boat.
Yes, you can bring your motorbike, but you have to call and make a reservation for it. When I did they asked for the registrating number for all motorbikes and the name of all riders.
I'm not sure but I think this is the number for the boat, and they are only using it when the boat are ''at work''. 0047 916 52 800.
If you call from a phone in Norway you can get information for boats, buses and so on in the area you are in buy dialing just 177. But calling from far away, like Oslo or GB, try 0047 815 00 182. But I'm not sure the ''service-number-serie'' 815 are working from abroad.

I have e-mailed info@regionstavanger.com and asked if they know when the road Fv.986 are going to open after winter.
-I guess you are going to ride those funny hairpins? It's no for sissies so do not send me a bill for new trousers... if they get dirty.;)
Going up is not that scary; even a girl on a Scarver can do it! (Me! I did it!)

lysefjordsenteret.no and regionstavanger.com has some info and links in English for that area, but not what you asked, I'm afraid.

Well, I'll get back to you when I know more.
Oh, and search for ''baltics'' as there are some threads here someplace.
And if you are going to Vilnius I know a Norwegian friend of mine would like to meet you; he's riding BMW's and some sidecars, and he are living over there!

Have fun!:bounce1
:) Liv.

Liv
many thanks for looking at this for me. I did try the sites but it was the start date that I got lost on. As you say, no road no boat. Thanks for the web links and the phone numbers, they'll come in really handy ... especially as I will need to book the ferry (does the boat booking person speak English?). Is it just this ferry or do you have to book all ferrys in advance in Norway. I will be using the Hjelmeland ferry after the Lysefjorden one so I was wondering if I needed to book that too.
Having looked at the route I have to sort of get to Røldal for the evening (I have booked a cabin on the campsite there) after leaving the ferry at Forsand at 16:30. As the evenings should be quite long by the end of May then I thought I should have time to reach Røldal for the night.
You are right of course, I wanted to try the scary hairpins on the road to Lysebotn. We will be travelling to Lysebotn by road from Stavanger so it will be downhill :eek:
We will be going to Vilnius so if your friend is about it would be great to meet up. We'll only be in the city for one night on the 29th May. I am afraid my Norwegian runs to "takk" at the moment so I hope your friend's English is a little better or it will be mainly hand signals ... :eek:
Once again, thanks for all your help.
Cheers
Dave

Not good news...

The hotel Sirdal Høyfjellshotell (=the owner of Øygardsstøl/Ørneredet) told me the road usually opens the last week in May.
-I think you better make a Plan B!

As fas as I can see from the homepage for the ferry company the fast boat sails to/from Lysebotn all year. I guess there are people there all year because of the electric power company.

You need to book in May because the boat skip a harbour if nobody's going there.
And you need to book in July because too many want to enjoy the fjord...
I would be wery suprised if they do not speak english; the job are to tell the tourists what they need to know in the summer!:)

No, there is no need to book for the rest of the ferries in Norway;
if there are too many passengers/vehicles they just have to wait in line for the next ferry, but in May there is not that many tourists so don't worry about it.
(But in some places, like Lofoten, you better find out if they have a booking system.
If the ferry seem to be a part of the main road then there is no need for booking. But touristroutes like Lofoten and Lysebotn are different.
I was the only passenger at a ferry two weeks ago, but there was no need to tell I was there!)

I know there is a campsite and a B&B at Lysebotn; if there are someone at the B&B now I can ask they if they are closed in May.

In generally I think most of the roads who are closed in the winter opens May/June. And I think there are no exactly dates as the weather has something to do with this...

I'll be back when I have more news!

Liv
thanks for the news, good or bad it's very useful to know. I will have to make a plan B though as you say. The weather in the UK has been very mild this year, just wonder if you are having the same in Norway ... maybe the road will be open earlier this year.
If the Lysebotn road doesn't open until the very end of May am I likely to have similar problems trying to get up to Røldal and along the E134 to Oslo? If so I may need to pick a more southern route which will miss the crinkly fjords :tears
You are very kind
Cheers
Dave

Dont cry!
Just don't pick the roads ''vinterstengt'' on this list http://www.vegvesen.no/trafikk/vegmeldinger/rapport/index.jsp?report_id=4 and you'll be OK - and you can find fjords!:)

Rv.13 Gaularfjell on the list is on the north side of the Sognefjorden, a road from Balestrand to Molde, but Rv.13 from Stavanger to Røldal E134 are OK.

One of the roads down to Geiranger is closed now, and Sognefjellet too, but there are many roads left for you - and with fjords!
Lorries are driving from the east to the west and back again all winter, so there are open roads! But I do not guarantee no snow in areas on the list called ''Fjelloverganger Sør-Norge''... It could be you get snow; no problem for cars but I would not like it with my motorbike. Most likely you get no snow on the tarmac!

It's not cold in the south halfes of Norway now, but there are snow...
Let me tell you what I did in Februray!
On this list http://www.vegvesen.no/trafikk/vegmeldinger/rapport/index.jsp?report_id=10 you'll find roads that often has snow and slippery parts in the winter.
Rv.50 are closed now.
Well, I was on my way from Oslo to Golsfjellet, it's the area north of Gol, but I didn't want to go directly so I checked he list and went from Gol to Hol-Aurland, Rv.50, Geiteryggtunnellen and I got a lot of snow.
The next day I went to Flåm before I turned and drove (yes, I did this with my old Corolla) to Lærdalstunnellen and Rv.52 Borlaug - Hemsedal - Gol.
And then I drove up to Golsfjellet and more snow!
There was no problem for me at all; I had tyres with studds.
But:
The week after they got wind and snow so those roads was clsed for some time and Rv.50 are still closed.You never know, but I made it in February so you'r odds are good in May, even on two wheels!

E134 are not often closed, almost never, in the winter = one of the safest options!

Get a close look at the map and see if Bergen - Oslo could be fun? The roads with bad odds are between the route Stavanger-Oslo and Bergen-Oslo. But the main road Stavanger-Oslo are not a problem at the end of May - but if you are unlucky, wery unlucky, you might get snow on tarmac.

If the links above is not OK it is because they are updating them. Here is how to get new lists:
http://www.vegvesen.no/trafikk/index.stm pick ''Vegmeldinger'' from the menu up on the right (Hurtigmeny A-Å)
''Fjelloverganger Sør-Norge'' give you a list of the roads in the mountain in the south part of Norway.
''Vinterstengt'' = closed in winter.
''Kolonnekjøring'' = big problems because of snow/wind so cars have to wait for the snowplower and follow it. I'm sure that is not going to happend in May!
''Kjøreforhold'' = a description of the road and the weather right now; often it says slippery parts and the temperature in the air.
''Nattestengt'' = closed at night.

On the left at the site you'll fin a box where you can type the number of the road, and then you'll get information.
All in Norwegian, but I guess all you need to know is the words I gave you and ''Vegarbeid'' = roadworking.

You'll find funny roads, fjords and ferries, I'm sure!
But it can be cold, so many layers of wool is a good idèa!
And it might be hot, so bring t-shirts too!

If you think there might be snow; buy a can at the petrol station called ''Dekklister'' = it's fluid to put on your tyres to help you if needed. It's not as good as chains and studds, but it might help you a little.
I have a can in my car - you'll never know!

Have fun!

Nice trip

Hiya Dave,

8 of us on 6 bikes are doing a very similar trip to yours leavng on 25th May and returning to Cheshire 10days later.

Pipster is sorting out most of the Scandinavian route . It might be great to meet up in the next couple of months and share routes / ideas.

Best,

Ian R

Ian
yep ... it would be great to meet up. 10 days seems really fast. I thought our 14/15 was a lot to cover but to do this in 10 ... impressed :)
We start on the 20th so we must finish around the same time, as me and my mate Mark are in Lancashire we must be able to get together somewhere.
Drop us a note and we can get together for a :beer:
Cheers
Dave

Ian
yep ... it would be great to meet up. 10 days seems really fast. I thought our 14/15 was a lot to cover but to do this in 10 ... impressed :)
Dave

Dave,

We've got the WAGS on the back of three bikes and I think 10 days in the saddle will be long enough for them. We are cheating by missing out Finland and Russia.

Maybe you could pop along to the next NW pub meet :beerjug:

Best,

ian

Ian
yes, I'll attempt to make the next meeting (may be visiting my son down in Fleet but I'll be there if not) and if I can drag Mark along so much the better.
Hope to see you then :beerjug:
Dave

Liv,
many thanks for your very detailed reply. Sorry I picked up the thread on a different PC with less lines so I only saw Ian's note but I have now followed the links you gave and I think it will be very useful. It still looks like Lysebotn is shut for winter at the moment, but I will keep a lookout for it over the next 2 weeks and hopefully it may open. If it does I will ring the ferry company to book us on the trip.
I will bring the woolies as you suggest, hope I won't need them. If you made that journey in February then I hope we should be able to get round in May ... though nothing is ever certain.
I have planned to use the Rv 13 up to Roldal without going through Lysebotn if the weather is unkind to us. It looks from the website like it could be slippery at night and is closed around Gaularfjell :confused: (I can't find out where that is though) but other than that it should be ok.
Once I get to Roldal either way it will be E134 all the way to Oslo so that part will be open for us I think.
Once again many thanks for your invaluable help.
Cheers
:bow
Dave

Hi!

If you go direction south-east Balestrand/the Sognefjord from the lake on this map, then you ride Gaularfjell.
http://www.gaularvassdraget.no/reiserrute.php = not close to Lysebotn.

When I was a pilion at my boyfriend Knut's K100RS I slept well when he rode up there. This does not mean it's boring, but it means Knut&bike=perfect, and after a week or so in this area my eyes needed a rest :p :)

I called the local road office and asked about opening those fun hairpins down to Lysebotn after winter.
Thay are hoping for 17th of May - if King Winter are not coming back and play with us again!

The last part direction east from Suleskar, ca.21st of May.
...but who can tell about the weather..?

Liv.:)

Hi Liv
By the look of it Gaularfjell is a bit out of the way for us as we will be coming into Stavanger. It does look very scenic - maybe next time I visit Norway.
Thank you for the news on Lysbotn ... it looks like there is a good chance it will be open by the time we arrive there on Tuesday 22nd May. I'll try to stay optomistic so hopefully the weather will be on our side too.
Will the ferry be running as soon as the road opens? I guess I will need to call them to book a couple of places for the bikes if they are running.
Cheers :)
Dave

Not long now!

Call the ferry company; they are in the area every day all year so if they can't tell if the ferry are running on your dates, then who can tell? :)

We have a short number for a useful office for fresh information about roads and some ferries (ferries important for most people, not small local tourist routes, I guess) - the office: Vegmeldingssentralen 175.
I called 175 ten minutes ago, and they told me you can dial 0047 815 48 991 from abroad and get information.
815 48 991 might be useful when you are not able to go to www.vegvesen.no on the 'net.

www.met.no = the weather!

-Are all your undies in your panniers, ready to go? ;) :thumb2 You need clean undies every day, you know! Spesially if the hairpins are icy... :eek

Liv, indeed ... not long at all now :bounce1 .
I will give the ferry company a call this week and book us onboard. I think the ferry trip will be a nice pleasant relax after the underpant threatening ride down the hairpin bends! I am taking extras just in case :eek: .
Do you think there will be a chance of ice still on the bends ... that does sound scary! I'll give the road people a call at the end of next week before we set off, just for any last minute information.
Anyway I will keep my eye on the weather, I'm hoping for T-shirt weather but better prepare for all eventualities.
Thanks for all your help with contacts and web links :bow . I'll be posting a few pictures on my return to the UK.
Cheers
Dave

Been there - this weekend

Hello

If you want, I can send you a picture or two. Drove this weekend. The road was OK, and will soon be open (I think).

Reg
Henning

Hello

If you want, I can send you a picture or two. Drove this weekend. The road was OK, and will soon be open (I think).

Reg
Henning

Hi Henning.
Welcome! :bounce1

Please e-mail me, and I'll post your picture here!
(Special service for new members from Norway who are helping new members who are going to Lysebotn.:) )
l-syulle at online dot no (at=@, dot=.)

Here's last news from www.vegvesen.no:
''Fv 986 SIRDAL - LYSEBOTN
Vinterstengt. Ventes åpnet onsdag 16. mai klokken 12:00.
Sist endret 14.05.07 kl. 10:27''
=
''They are hoping to open the road Wednesday 16th of May kl.12.00.''

The part from Brokke to Suleskard still has 21st as the opening date.

But Henning:
-How did you manage to ride/drive there if the road is closed? -Did you use your skies? (Psst! Tell the Brits you used your reindeers! They'll believe you, I'm sure! :p )
:augie You must be a sportsman; out in the snow all year to find out if the road is OK for the tourists! Good! :thumb2

Hi and welcome Henning and of course hello Liv,
it's good to know that the road is about to open. Henning :bow , I'd love to see some of your photographs from last week if you can pass them on via Liv.
Looking at views I have seen of the road I'll believe anything you tell me if it means I can ride down there next week. Even if it means tying my bike to a reindeer :)
Really looking forward :bounce1 to this ride and the trip on the ferry down the Fjord.
Many thanks to both of you
Dave

Back
Top Bottom