Advice to a possible new GSer

kitchenpete

I'm new to motorbikes (recent DAS) and excited about getting one which allows me to:

(a) commute to work (about 20 mins through Central London);

(b) substitute for a car on journeys outside the M25 (as I don't own one and don't want to get one if I can have a bike instead!);

(c) take on weekend/holiday trips in the UK/Europe, 2 up if I want to; and

(d) something capable of dealing with farm tracks/unmade roads if I decide that's where I want to go (should also help with Ken's potholed roads near home!).

I thought the F650GS would be good for me but I found it was underpowered and very buzzy on a short stretch of motorway I tried (test ride). I don't like the power delivery on the Suzuki 600 Bandit I'm currently hiring (having learned on a Honda BROS 650 V-twin, four cylinders seem too jumpy in traffic!).

I discussed this with the man at the dealer, where I tried the F650GS and he advised me to try the 1150GS, which I've liked the look of but thought I should wait a couple of years before getting one. 3 hour test ride booked this Friday.

I've always admired BMW bikes, by the way, so no need to sell me on that point, but it would be useful to put the salesman's patter in perspective.

Essentially, I'd like your considered/enthusiastic comments on:

(a) what I should I be aware of when I test ride it (apart from the £1000 excess, which will ensure I'm careful!)?

(b) what won't I have read about the 1150GS in bike mags (do anything but big/heavy and indicators/servo brakes are odd)?

(c) any considerations for long term happiness if I'm hooked by the test ride?

I can afford to get one, if I decide to go for that, though the insurance may be crippling (I'm 32 but no experience/no claims)! Oh, I'm 5'11" and 15 stone, so I'm not too scared if it's size.

Kitchenpete!!??

Try and get yourself down to Doggetts (South side of Blackfriars bridge) next Thursday 14th. 6.30pm onwards loads of Central London GSers all willing to impart all sorts of info to anyone who'll listen!!

You won't find any better advice.

Hope to see you there.

Richard:beerjug:

Kitchen pete

Sounds like you described the GS perfectly, when you ask around everryone will tell you the same.

"Looks odd but wow does it handle "

Its not until youv'e had one for a while that you start to appreciate the GS, a trip round the block does'nt do it justice you have to do 300 miles or so.

Kichen Pete

Very good idea this - to canvas some opinion before you take the test ride.

All I can add is that we have a lot of BM riders come and stay with us here in holiday France and 90% of those are on 1100/1150gss'. I've test ridden the 1150 and I want one but as an airhead owner (r100gs - bit smaller/lighter and good off road) I would say the 1150gs is a brilliant road bike but unless you have a lot of off road experience/bottle/fat wallet just stick to the to the odd gravel road. Make very sure that you can get your feet firmly on the ground as manoevering these things on a loose surface is a problem for those with short legs!

Chas

Thanks

Guys,

Thanks for your replies. :)

I don't think I'll get 300 miles done in 3 hours from Park Lane, but I'll certainly give it the full innercity, motorway and winding lanes treatment in that time...at relatively modest speeds, of course. Well, I'll open the throttle on a straight bit of motorway with no traffic, to see how it performs, of course!

Richard - great idea to meet others for a drink at Doggetts - usually I work not far from the other side of the river but that night I'll be in Halifax for work :mad: (working there 4 days a week at the moment). Maybe next time - could be that I'll arrive on a GS by then!

I know that the 1150 is not a motorcross/true enduro machine...but at least it could get me to Wales to do an off road course on someone else's bike. All in good time - the cost of helmet, gloves, boots, jacket and trousers has already hurt my credit card!

One other question - how many miles would it take to run in a new GS? I want to take a trip to Spain in mid September and don't know if I'll have time for it? I know there's an early service to re-tighten, etc. once the bike's "settled".

KP

Hi KP
Most of the questions come after the test ride :p

The only thing i had to get used to is the lack of fork dive
while using the front brake.

Have a nice time :thumb

Re: Thanks

kitchenpete said:

One other question - how many miles would it take to run in a new GS? I want to take a trip to Spain in mid September and don't know if I'll have time for it? I know there's an early service to re-tighten, etc. once the bike's "settled".

KP

Hi Pete and welcome.
I had a European tour booked one week after I collected my new GS. You just need to get the 600 mile service under your belt. I did mine in a day on a tour from my place up to East Anglia and back again, it wasn't a chore either as the GS is a joy to ride! So yes - plenty of time.

Running in

Thanks, notadrop

600 should be easy enough to manage.

KP

Test Ride

KP

I'm sure after the test ride you will be hooked and there's no going back!!!

Be prepared on the test ride for all the usual noises that a GS makes. Many people (me being one of them) asked questions about the rattles etc. and the reply is "They all do that sir"

Enjoy the test ride!

If you get one get some engine bars fitted, Im same hight but a skinny 15st, have laid the bike down twice while stood still, once at a junction and last week outside H/Gerricks at York, no dammage thankfully engine bars worked a treat,
plenty of kids pissing there self laughing though !.

Simple things to do

1/ Go and buy the GS
2/ Ride the GS
3/ Try to get the grin off your face
4/ Even if you buy a pup, it's still more fun than anything else
5/ Hide the cheque book/ credit cards
6/ Get yourself over this neck of the woods for a ride out
7/ Ignore everything you read on this web site
8/ there is no 8
9/ Ignore the press, they're all tossers

Have fun:beerjug:

kitchenpete,

Before you borrow the bike from Park Lane, spend a few minutes making sure that the ergonomics are right for you.

The seat is height adjustable - I'd guess that you'd want it on the lower position. If it's too high, you could find when stopping at the lights at Hyde Park Corner that you have to lean against a Transit van or Roller.

Talking of Transits, the GS mirrors are Transit van mirror height. Watch that if you are filtering.

Both the clutch and brake handles are adjustable for reach.

If you get out onto a motorway, you may be concerned about wind buffeting. There is an easy fix using the Tobinator for just a few quid.

Try the ABS - scary!

Buy the bike and enjoy

Greg

Kitchenpete, if you even slightly like the GS after a test ride, I'm pretty sure you'll grow to love it over time :D. The only thing I'd add to what's been said is to keep an eye on the engine oil level. It seems to vary from bike to bike. Mine didn't use a drop 'til the 600 mile service, then started using a little as I started using a few more revs. Nothing to worry about, but maybe take a small bottle of Castrol GPS on holiday for peace of mind?

Enjoy your hols!!

David

Tried, Enjoyed, Deposited!

Thanks to you all for your advice.

I tried out the bike on Friday. 2.5 hours of varied riding gave me a sense of great safety, control (handling and brakes are better than anything I've ridden before) and comfort...how quiet is the engine in 6th at 80mph?!!!

So, I ended up putting a deposit on a blue and white one (with ABS and HG), which should be ready on 22/8.

I can't wait!

Good advice about the engine bars. I was thinking about that and will get them fitted, I think...just peace of mind and reduced mini-claims chances.

Insurance quotes have been funny! Ranging from £1100 to £2700!!! Lack of garage, NCB and experience count against me but the bottom end of that range (all fully comp.) is OK (just!).

Now I just need to think about a better lock and a cover (it'll be parked offroad but under a tree that sheds sap...which isn't great!). Any tips?

Thanks again. KP

Re: Tried, Enjoyed, Deposited!

kitchenpete said:
So, I ended up putting a deposit on a blue and white one (with ABS and HG), which should be ready on 22/8.

The worst colour in the range! Did you get a massive discount?

:D

Greg

Re: Simple things to do

Vern said:
1/ Go and buy the GS
2/ Ride the GS
3/ Try to get the grin off your face
4/ Even if you buy a pup, it's still more fun than anything else
5/ Hide the cheque book/ credit cards
6/ Get yourself over this neck of the woods for a ride out
7/ Ignore everything you read on this web site
8/ there is no 8
9/ Ignore the press, they're all tossers

Have fun:beerjug:

10/ Get yourself a decent set of Aluminium panniers ;) and set of to tour the world ....(if only I knew where to get some decent panniers....?)

Re: Tried, Enjoyed, Deposited!

kitchenpete said:

....(it'll be parked offroad but under a tree that sheds sap...which isn't great!). Any tips?

Chainsaw.

I've asked the nice man at the dealer to fit a chainsaw to my GS (truly would be the "Swiss Army Knife" of bikes)!

:D

Back
Top Bottom