Another one. Anyone recognise it ?

Attachments

• Sunday.jpg
    Sunday.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 213
Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps

The Brickcleeve mountains?
Lough Arrow in the background?

Lower Lough Erne. Cliffs of Magho from Lough Navar Forest. Eagle Point and Boa Island in the distance, Hill's Island below you. And many's the trout I've hoked out of it :thumb

Lower Lough Erne. Cliffs of Magho from Lough Navar Forest.

:clap :clap :clap

I might have known - if there's a body of water, larger than a bathtub, involved Shuck knows where / what it is :augie

GerryC, I thought you of all people might have recognised it - can't have been too long ago that you were in that part of the world ;) (although I didn't realise the significance of the place 'til I got home :eek: )

It was nice & quiet up there on Sunday, only saw 3 cars in the whole Forest Park. Mind you it was quite windy up there ;) It's a beautiful part of the world around that area. The closest I'd come before was riding the A46 along the lakeshore, en route to Aidans Donegal event last year. On Sunday, however, I spent most of the day in the hills between Belcoo & Belleek :bounce1 :bounce1

And while the sun was shining over to the East, you could see the rain coming in from the West -

Attachments

• Sunday2.jpg
    Sunday2.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 78
:clap :clap :clap

I might have known - if there's a body of water, larger than a bathtub, involved Shuck knows where / what it is :augie

Ain't called 'sheugh' for nuthin' :aidan

I spent a lot of time around Lough Erne in my teens and twenties. Knew Denis Archdale well, owner of Castle Archdale which was an RAF flying boat base in WW2. Denis was a kid during the war and had many stories of the aircraft and crews and he knew all the crash sites.

We fished in Lough Navar Forest and he showed me the crash site of a Catalina which got lost and smacked into that mountain in your pic. We trekked into the forest to another wee lough where the aircraft finally came to rest. Still bits of it lying around at that time, it was very poignant.

Story about it here

There's another crash site up in the Blue Stack Mountains above Donegal Town near Lough Belshade which I fish up in those hills. A Sunderland mistook Donegal Bay for the Ballyshannon Estuary which would have taken him back to base and hit the mountainside. There were a couple of survivors, one of whom returned to the site recently to unveil a memorial. Farmers used bits of wreckage to block up holes in fences and walls, which is still in evidence, although the aluminium is pretty rotten these days.

Brave young men in those days. Glad I didn't have to be part of it.

Back
Top Bottom