Forts in the Sahara?

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

On my next Morocco trip (Easter) I really want to see some of those old French forts.

I'm heading towards the Valee du Dades / Todra Gorge area - does anyone know of any in that general area?

Thanks,

Paul G
The other

The desert is the ideal place for thoughts, it's all the space and tranquility

The Todra and Dades are not in the Sahara but you will find plenty on old Kasbahs and Ksours in that area.:thumb

The meaning of the term Kasbah differs considerably depending on the region. In the north and in towns a Kasbah is a citadel, a heavily defended district in which a garrison was stationed.

To the south of the Atlas a Ksour is a fortified village and a Kasbah is a fortified family home either in town or in the country.

To see places similar to the pic below you'd be best head to Erg Chebbi, an easy days ride away. There are many of these types of buildings along the dunes from Merzouga generally as Auberges.
Don't miss the opportunity to stay in one and watch the sun rise.:)

Attachments

• P5310167 (Small).JPG
    P5310167 (Small).JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 207
Don't know of any Forts, but know a nice hotel.

View from one of the rooms

Lounge area

Most of the old French colonial forts that I think you're talking about are along or close to the coast..there are a couple near Agadir, a well known one at Mirhleft and several that have been made into auberges.

If you spend an hour or two with a map, you might be able to find some more further inland....start off with THIS website :thumb2

Thanks guys, this is really useful. Most of it, anyway!! :D

If you are interested in this area, it's worth looking up The Sword and the Cross - it details some of the history around the time that the French were forging into the desert. (One of the characters, Lapperine, gave his name to one of the forts on Fanum's link).

Wonderful, thanks again.

PG

Fort Atchana is not far off your route at N32 13.200 W3 49.200.

Just before the Legionaires' Tunnel at the Gorge du Ziz take the R708 heading east to Gourama. Some way after Gourama the road forks and you want the right-hand route. The fort is about 30 miles from where you turned off the main road. After viewing it, continue heading south and you come out west of Boudenib.

There are several sites around the Gorge du Ziz where you can find engravings made by the legionaires.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom