Recomended / Useful Toolkit

flytoolow

Reaction score
OK,
So like many of us my GSA came used but also came without a BMW Toolkit. :nenau

Can anyone suggest the recomended tools / key / Torx / spanners (Sizes) that will help me get out of "most" situations ? I figure its best to start to accumulate the required parts since I think this bikes a keeper...

I started to remove the wheels last night for a tyre change (Distanzias...will let you know how they are somewhere else) and found that I need a Torx key to remove the front brake calipers...since I dont have any...and knowing me...I will undoubtedly buy ALL the wrong sizes :blast. Anyone know whick sizes are required for the 1150 GSA ?

Cheers

F2L

For things like removing calipers etc (i.e. workshop jobs), you'll be better off with a full set of 3/8" drive torx bits (and probably a set of hex bits) together with a 3/8" ratchet - these aren't expensive and will be very useful, however don't be tempted by really cheap ones - they can have a poor fit and trash fastener heads. Ideally you should also have a torque wrench if you don't already own one as some fasteners have fairly critical torques (depends on how good your 'feel' is - some people never use a torque wrench, some use them every time - I'm a bit of both). The Halfords 'professional' range or Draper 'expert' are decent quality without being snap-on prices - if you know someone with a Halfords trade card, you can get them at about 2/3 of the ticket price).

To keep on the bike, Melly Senior's link is a good guide although it is for the 1200 - not all the fasteners are the same sizes and some have different heads (more torx on the 1200 (you also need to find somewhere to store them on the bike :) )

I have a set each of these out of which I've taken the useful sizes to keep on the bike:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/58974...era-SPKL-Torx-Ball-End-Security-Key-Set-9Pcs#
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/78506...eys/9-Piece-Hex-Plus-Hexagon-Key-Set-Ball-End
They're expensive when compared to the usual 'bunch of allen keys on a ring' but they're bullet proof and again the last thing you want is for cheap, ill-fitting tools to be making your life harder when you need them at the roadside

Always found the BMW tool kits are v good and well made for what they are. GS underseat kit takes some beating and the ADV one on the ADVrider link looks good. Allen keys are usually Heyco and are the only Allen key I have never wrecked!

Replicate or buy a used BMW tool roll and make sure it has the torx and you should be fine. Only extra stuff I carry is a multiknife thing and a load of cable ties (also available reusable!):thumb

You could build a custom kit of good quality tools for half of the price of the Touratech one.

In fact Halfords are doing a 150 piece set from their professional range on offer for the same money as the TT one - just take what you need out of it and you've got all the rest in your workshop :nenau

A roll of gaffa tape with a metre or two left , crushed flat..same for insulting tape

a dozen big hairy cable ties, a dozen smaller ones. ( a couple of two foot long 15 mm wide ones taped to an inside member doesn't hurt....see local chandlers or agricultural supplier)

a few feet of wire (17 amp to deal with everything), a few crimp terminals and a few scotchlocks (booo!!! )for emergency bypasses, plus a multitool, even a £10 disposable one from a tat shop...its a one use deal)

If on a long trip, oil sight glass, clutch master cyl, Hall sensor, FD bearing, seal and o ring. coil plug, spark plug, 12mm allan key

inline fuse holder

90 degree tyre valve adaptor

set allan keys, set torx keys (draper or better, don't fukk about with budget cheese varieties)

8, 10, 12,14,17,19 mm spanner, stubby will do usually ( you can use spark plug tube to extend torque)

sign wire. (wrap on frame)

rat tails, rubber glue, open eye needle, small round file or similar, 2x gas cyls with valve bit or small bike pump (better but harder work)

assorted nuts n bolts...6m, 8m , washers

Spark plug spanner tube (serves as allan key extension)
Spark plug tube bar (doubles as drift for many things)

satchet wd40

lipstick variety of loctite

Tube dual compound liquid metal

crimp connectors (male and fermale, blue sheathed, rubber not platic coated, several tube, several piggy back type)

3, 5 and 15 amp blade connectors

standard 5 pin relay (cable tie to wiring under fusebox or put in spare slot)

all of that will fit into the recesses under the seat and around the fuse box.....use initiative, stick foot long lengths of gaffa and insulating tape under flat surfaces/.under pannier lids etc

pair of tyre levers cable tied to frame

Jet stylee fag lighter and a foot of fluxed solder (wrap that around a frame member somewhere)

Spare key hidden in place only you know, but most people put them in the same place :augie

If you have space, a 1/4 inch ratchet set doesn't hurt...add a torx bits set to it if not included

If in Yoorup, a 50 euro note can be taped under a surface inside a ziplock bag, or a £20 note in GB...that will give you a tank of fuel/local tax/food/B&B money for that stuck in a bad place moment when your CC has been nicked/magnetised/refused..cash is king

A paper copy of your insurance policy number and help line number, your aa/rac number etc, and a few key phone numbers...you will always break down just after your Moby battery has gone flat or you have left phone reception)

a large amount of common sense, a big grin and a handshake will overcome everything else, pretty much anywhere in the world :)

You could build a custom kit of good quality tools for half of the price of the Touratech one.

In fact Halfords are doing a 150 piece set from their professional range on offer for the same money as the TT one - just take what you need out of it and you've got all the rest in your workshop :nenau

i agree but for a compact kit to do most of what you need to do on the road its not bad..

as a spanner monkey for my trade i do like the tt kit its made well and as i use snap on its a good comparison..

but hey its not my money..

As above. I've got the following stashed on the bike (hangover from the calums road trip).

Stick Coil
Hall Sensor
The Infamous Spare Motronic :blast
All 4 levers / pedals
Clutch Slave + Seal
Fuel Pump
Headlight + Indicator Bulbs
FD Bearing
FD Seal
Spark Plugs

Now, might seem like a lot but packs down to the same size as the battery. Put it in the box the battery came in (the small inner one). Took it to the local butcher who vacuum packed it for me to stop moisture destroying it.

As I've removed the servo it sits in the space left by said unit quite nicely. Ok, if I break anything the tank is coming off but otherwise the parts are on the bike out of the way.

Alt belt + puncture repair kept under seat.

Back
Top Bottom