► Hard luggage--panniers and topboxes

Hepco & Becker Pannier Frames?

If anyone has the Hepco Becker pannier frames fitted to their 800GS I'd be grateful if they could get a tape measure out and post the overall outside WIDTH between the left & right frames (to include the frame widths themselves) .

Im leaning towards having some custom made ali boxes fabricated to fit.

Attachments

• Hepco Becker 800GS Frames.jpg
    Hepco Becker 800GS Frames.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,910
Coocase 36lt secuity is bad

Went in a trip in Dec and loaded the case with cloths etc. Had to push down on the lid a little (not to hard) to get it to close. The screws that hold the lock plate (top) to the lock (bottom) ripped out of the plastic. I have since replaced them with a much wider gauge screw, plus two more (will post pic).

Just imagine what would happen if some one wanted to get into the case on purpose. I think it would take a screw driver and 1 second.
Good luck all

(modorators, if you feel the need please put this on other bike/gear threads, sure that it would be appreciated)

Went in a trip in Dec and loaded the case with cloths etc. Had to push down on the lid a little (not to hard) to get it to close. The screws that hold the lock plate (top) to the lock (bottom) ripped out of the plastic. I have since replaced them with a much wider gauge screw, plus two more (will post pic).

Just imagine what would happen if some one wanted to get into the case on purpose. I think it would take a screw driver and 1 second.
Good luck all

(modorators, if you feel the need please put this on other bike/gear threads, sure that it would be appreciated)

Hi, If you can drill it out and use a rivet, use a flat washer behind the rivet on the end that swells up. this will be 200% stronger than a screw. it depends it you can get into it or not.

they use rivets on panniers etc for a reason, they are strong, easy to repair and you can get them anywhere. otherwise come for a trip and ill see if i can offer any assistance.
:D
Cheers,
Luke

Heavy snow outside, so made these today :eek:

The BMW alloy panniers for the F800GS don't have any carry handles :eek:

These work a treat and can quickly and easilly be removed if needed :)

The strapping used is what secured the 650's in their crates when delivered to the dealers. Push bike innertubes widely available ;)

Tomorrow you'll want a yoghurt carton, an egg box and two toilet paper cardboard tubes ready :rolleyes:

:beerjug:

Attachments

• Pannier handles.jpg
    Pannier handles.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1,706
Heavy snow outside, so made these today :eek:

The BMW alloy panniers for the F800GS don't have any carry handles :eek:

These work a treat and can quickly and easilly be removed if needed :)

The strapping used is what secured the 650's in their crates when delivered to the dealers. Push bike innertubes widely available ;)

Tomorrow you'll want a yoghurt carton, an egg box and two toilet paper cardboard tubes ready :rolleyes:

nice! i'm looking at buying the Zega-Belt by touratech to have the same usage as what you've done.. i do not possess such skill to DIY like you do.. :nenau

nice! i'm looking at buying the Zega-Belt by touratech to have the same usage as what you've done.. i do not possess such skill to DIY like you do.. :nenau

The only skill required was cutting the straps to length, seal/bond the cut edge with the flame off a cig lighter. Hand sew the strap together when cut to length for the actual handle. Cut up a pedal cycle rubber innertube and thread the straps through using a straightened coat hanger with a hook on the end :thumb2

Sorry, I couldn't find a definitive answer on this, apologies if I missed it ...

I received the Touratech Zega 41/41 "Specials" but pretty much hate them because of the horrific welds (one of them is actually crooked and causes the left box to not sit properly against the rack), so I'm looking at my other options. I've made a plea to Touratech to take the units back, we'll see what happens ...

The Adventure boxes are awesome looking - do they end up being the exact same size, in terms of width of the bike? It seems like it - the panniers themselves seem to have the same dimensions more or less ...

Any help appreciated.

I received the Touratech Zega 41/41 "Specials" but pretty much hate them because of the horrific welds (one of them is actually crooked and causes the left box to not sit properly against the rack).

Thanks! I had my eye on the above mention boxes but was looking for an excuse not to but them. Job well done and appreciated!

Jesse's

foradv2.jpg

adv4.jpg

Okay, I went out and did it - the Adventure boxes are now mine. Now to find a buyer for the Zegas ... and to answer my own question, the rack width is identical between the Touratech and BMW Adventure setup, which isn't surprising - the racks themselves are nearly identical except for the mounting tabs the BMW rack needs to mate with the Adventure boxes, and the rear bracket on the BMW rack is more "clever" and sticks close to the bike. The BMW panniers are almost exactly 1" wider than the Zegas, however.

Quick question: are there any good liner bags for the Adventure boxes? They sold me one of the "liner" bags, but they were waterproof Ortlieb things - nice bags, but definitely not liner bags - in fact, they didn't really even fit very well. Are there other liners out there?

(and ARE the interior dimensions of the F800GS Adventure cases radically different than the 1200GS?)

Okay, I went out and did it - the Adventure boxes are now mine. Now to find a buyer for the Zegas ... and to answer my own question, the rack width is identical between the Touratech and BMW Adventure setup, which isn't surprising - the racks themselves are nearly identical except for the mounting tabs the BMW rack needs to mate with the Adventure boxes, and the rear bracket on the BMW rack is more "clever" and sticks close to the bike. The BMW panniers are almost exactly 1" wider than the Zegas, however.

Quick question: are there any good liner bags for the Adventure boxes? They sold me one of the "liner" bags, but they were waterproof Ortlieb things - nice bags, but definitely not liner bags - in fact, they didn't really even fit very well. Are there other liners out there?

(and ARE the interior dimensions of the F800GS Adventure cases radically different than the 1200GS?)

an 1" wider and heap more storage, so i reckon your better of with the BMW adventure series. although they are made by touratech:D

I rate them! :thumb

TT Special (34+41 = 75L total) 1036mm wide
BMW Adventure Cases with BMW factory mount 1044mm wide

I put 8" Jesse Safari bags on mine

I think they look pretty good. Cost in US dollars was about $1800 with ($60) shipping to an adjacent state in the US. (BMW Varios were about $2200) These are the Charcoal Gray powdercoat, inside and out. All parts were nicely made and mounted up easily.

467308135_HiFBh-M.jpg

469259430_J4LaC-M.jpg

http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/468817632_YxqCm-M.jpg

Your Panniers likes and dislikes

Now that the group has had time to put kilometers on many of the different panniers systems, I'd like to hear the pros and cons regarding fit, ease of use, durability, looks and overall satisfaction.

I was looking at the TT 41/41 special planners but have read bad things about the welds. I bought my first TT product about a month ago, the HID left side light and was very unimpressed with the quality. The light is nice but I can't aim it properly (tried every different way) as something is a bit off with the mounting plate. They also provide tape for the relay - instructions have it screwed. When I inquired directly to TT about my aiming issue they simply never replied. For the prices they charge things should be spot on and customer service should be just that.

Long story short, I'd really not like to buy anymore TT products but feel the TT Special system 41/41 would be the best for width, usage and overall long term satisfaction. If I'm understanding pricing correctly, the TT are less expensive than the BMW adventure cases - which are my second choice. Why two aluminum boxes, plus hardware are over £1,150 I don't know.

So with that said I'd really like to hear the pros and cons of as many systems as possible.

Cheers!

BTw, I did read through the majority of post on this thread before posting

if anyone wants the touratech panniers I have pse pm
with your phone number
ps I mean purchase :augie

Hi Terry,

Can I ask why you didn't like the tt panniers?

So here's the definitive listing of the pannier systems we know about so far.

BMW varios..... 19+28 = 47 litres 920mm £544 **
MM balanced.... 31+31 = 62 litres 920mm £1430 (includes Scorpion exhaust)
MM balanced.... 38+38 = 76 litres 1000mm £1430 (includes Scorpion exhaust

TT standard.... 29+34 = 64 litres 1018mm £569
MM standard.... 31+38 = 69 litres 1020mm £1200
BMW varios..... 29+38 = 67 litres 1030mm £544 **

TT special..... 34+41 = 75 litres 1036mm £881
TRAX........... 37+37 = 74 litres 1068mm £555
MM balanced.... 45+45 = 90 litres 1080mm £1430 (includes Scorpion exhaust)

MM standard.... 38+45 = 83 litres 1100mm £1200
TRAX........... 37+45 = 82 litres 1111mm £559
TRAX........... 45+45 = 90 litres 1153mm £563

** same panniers in standard and extended configurations.

Yet to come are the BMW 1200GSA-style aluminium panniers.

Tim

Pannier system update

I finally decided to go for the SW Motech quick release pannier frames and the alpos panniers 32/36 litres.
I havent powder coated the panniers as I intend to sticker them up and I have the best colour - magnesium grey :beerjug: so they match fairly well.
I chose this combination as I want to remove the frames quickly and have the bike looking nice without leaving 'teeth braces' on.
There is a slight problem with the spacers that fit the new grab rail to the under seat fastenings. This was fixed by substituting the spacers for M8 washers and this solved the problem for just over 2 quid. I spoke to bybitz who offered to replace the whole kit but told them I could see how to fix the problem and they have offered to do me a deal when I next purchase from them :clap
The panniers are nice and light, to fit them you have to drill two holes per pannier but it is very easy to do. They come with carry handles too which is a bonus.
I have ridden with them two up and can say they are great. I even had them on going across the M62 bridge by Goole in near gale force cross winds and they were spot on.
They come off easily with two twist fastenings which are acessible from the inside only. I purchased the locks and these are dead easy to fit too.
I am sorry I cannot show pictures but I dont have the facility to trim them down in size :(
For under 500 quid I think they are great value and dont weigh a ton. The only thing about them being so cheap is the joint welds are slightly visible and there is clear silicone on the internal joints. Like I say for the cash they are brilliant, nice round corners too.
The width comes in at 1040mm, SiJohnston has the pics of his on page 14 of this thread.
Big thumbs up from me though :thumb2

Jesses Panniers

For me the jesse panniers look very well made and of high quality BUT, dont you think they look like drug cases ?
They just dont go with the rugged outdoor / adventure looks of the GS to me. Thing is I think it all comes down to how big your wallet is and what aesthetic you like on the bike.

bombril,
http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/ (and speak to Gareth - he's very helpful and knows what I've ordered). If you've an 800 and ask for the same, it'll cost you £404 and includes tie down loops, lock system, balanced cases (32and36L) and SW Motech quick release frames/adaptors.
It'll cost me £15 per case to have them powder coated black here (inside and out) and means I don't need liners as well as the fact it'll look better with the bike. I don't like the look of the polished alu tin on such a nice looking bike, it lets it down IMHO. will post up photos when i get it all sorted.

I phoned bykebitz today but it seems the price is £504 according to the girl I spoke to. I guess you got a good price sijohnston (or it was a typo?).

Kieran

Back
Top Bottom