Fuel starvation?

Malcvtr

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This morning, about 30 minutes into a fairly spirited ride, I was overtaking a car, going uphill, in third at about 6-7000 rpm when the engine went flat - just like fuel starvation. It kicked in again after 3/4 seconds and fortunately it wasn't one of those "tight" overtakes. For a fraction of a second my left hand twitched on a journey to turn the fuel to reserve - :D that's the problem with starting your riding career in 1972 :rob

Anyone else had this?

Malc

Rev limiter?

Maybe you hit the rev limiter? If you were in 3rd, I think it cuts in somewhere around the high 80s. Might explain a loss of power for 3/4 (0.75) sec but not 3 to 4 secs.

Fair point - I suppose the revs could have been higher than the 7 thou-ish I thought. I would be surprised if I was up to the high eights, but you never know :D . I'll keep a closer look on the revs and see if it happens again.

Cheers mate :thumb2

Malc

fuel pump

You could have fuel pump relay probs.
Sounds familiar.
The connectors are corroded .
Or the pipes are not attached properly.

:eek: Yep, that sounds more likely to describe what I experienced. Thanks, Civil. :thumb The good news is that the bike's still under warranty. Will the problem show up on a dealership's computer, or will it be obvious anyway? You'll have gathered that I've no idea where the relay is or what to look for :eek:

Malc

I believe you hit the rev limiter. Just turns off the fuel supply,that's it's job.
If corosion problems on the fuel pump,then it could/would happen anytime or anywhere. Not just at high RPM's.

The dealer's computer

:eek: Yep, that sounds more likely to describe what I experienced. Thanks, Civil. :thumb The good news is that the bike's still under warranty. Will the problem show up on a dealership's computer, or will it be obvious anyway? You'll have gathered that I've no idea where the relay is or what to look for :eek:

Malc

anything you might have learnt about fault diagnosis during many, many years can all be put aside - it needs plugging in to the computer!

:D Thanks Brian. It's going in next Saturday for its annual service, so the computer can do its diagnostic best.

Malc

:eek: Yep, that sounds more likely to describe what I experienced. Thanks, Civil. :thumb The good news is that the bike's still under warranty. Will the problem show up on a dealership's computer, or will it be obvious anyway? You'll have gathered that I've no idea where the relay is or what to look for
Malc

No . It wont show up on the Computer , unless the problem
actually occurs whilst it s on the Puter.
Its no big deal to check it.
Just take out the relay and you should see the offending corrision
on it.

Attachments

• WATER 1.jpg
    WATER 1.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 271
Removing cover on fuel pump

Civil, does the fuel pump cover fit on with a screw thread - half turn or something like that, or is there a tab that has to be released to get it off? Doesn't seem to want to move on my bike, and I'm reluctant to apply too much force until I know how it fits.

Thanks, TC

Civil, does the fuel pump cover fit on with a screw thread - half turn or something like that, or is there a tab that has to be released to get it off? Doesn't seem to want to move on my bike, and I'm reluctant to apply too much force until I know how it fits.

Thanks, TC

The cover Twists off , and can be tight to first get moving.
A Bloody horrid answer to a Simple cover .
Makes you wonder,,
I was lookin over some new Motors , whilst in the "City"
and for 07 , and £10K you get the same.

Back
Top Bottom