Recommend me a ...

Dave T

Reaction score
quality outdoor bike cover for my 1200GS as it's going to have to live outside for a few months as I'm losing use of my garage for a few months.

Ideally waterproof, breathable, not going to scratch the bike, and not going to attract too much attention (in fact the plainer and more drab looking the better please - I'd rather the natives didn't notice there's a bike there :spitfire )

So... what do you use?

Cheers,
Dave.

I was very happy with http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=500088 when my 1150 lived outdoors. New house with a garage means I don't use it anymore. Not selling it though, handy when visiting friends etc.

Remarkably well made for the price with some nice design features. Not breathable but it has vents in the top which IMV are better: on a hot day the rising air can escape taking moisture with it. On a windy day the cover billows less as the air can again escape. Fluffy interior and a carry bag too.

The only weakness is the retaining system. The elastic in the bits that go over the wheels soon weakens, and the under-bike strap is not enough to keep it on the bike in windy conditions. I used two 50p bungee cords linked together to form an extra strap.

The fact that it looks cheap is a good thing from a security point of view. If you use one of those £100 tailor made jobs then a thief is going to know something of value lurks underneath.

This one!

Yours for £30 delivered ....

cover2.jpg

cover1.jpg

Nin

Don't forget to anchor the bike well, or better yet park it where a gust of wind won't have it over.
I've had several covered bikes go over through the years.
The cover can act like a great big sail.

I used the HELD 9003 http://www.getgeared.co.uk/acatalog/HELD_9003_Bike_Cover.html and liked it.
Doesn't look too flash and can be locked on so that nosey parkers can't get the cover off (without a knife that is).

Personally I'd tell the missus she can store her cr@p under the bike cover as the bike is STAYING in the garage. <LOL>

Mine keeps hinting that she could store lots of stuff in the garage but seems to desist for a while when I inform her that she can store all she likes in the garage when she buys her own house! :spitfire ;)

Boomer

Cheers for the help everyone. Fortunately I'm only losing my garage while we have building work done on the house - a new kitchen for Mrs Dave T :hide LOL, and the ramshackle pre-fab garage is being replaced with a 14ft x 32ft brick built affair for me :bounce1 :clap :bounce1 !!!

Is it worth it then???

My Adv lives outside, no cover, and has done for 3 years.....no cover.

It doesn't do any harm..I've seen bikes in worse condition than mine that live in garages...and for the time you're talking about, I seriously wouldn't bother....they're designed to be ridden in and survive rain after all :nenau

I'd save the money and spend it on petrol or a weekend away :)

Dunno if this meets your 'quality' specification, but Lidl's were flogging covers at a tenner each last week, heavy duty outdoor stuff - if it's only for a few months, might suit OK? If they have any left, of course.

Is it worth it then???

It doesn't do any harm..I've seen bikes in worse condition than mine that live in garages...and for the time you're talking about, I seriously wouldn't bother....they're designed to be ridden in and survive rain after all :nenau

I see your point completely, but I'm trying to keep it from attracting unwanted attention more than protect it from the elements. I'd rather it were under an inconspicuous cover than have my 06 plate bike on view where I live. :thumb

Fortunately my father in law has had a mooch in his shed and dug out an old canvas cover from his ex-plod RT (long since sold :( ), and it fits well enough for my purposes so my problem is now solved. Thanks again all!! :beerjug:

Is it worth it then???

Errr- it's a 1200.

Back
Top Bottom