Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your Classic M/C

Show us your Classic M/C

Decided to get my Nortons out on the road today: lovely spring day and all the winter road salt is gone now.
    My 2 Rotaries haven't been out since the end of Oct. Both fired up easily and ran like new I love these bikes, they have so much character and the engines are so different, the torque is amazing and they are totally vibration free. To think Norton put these engines in a race frame and kicked the japs' arses I found the one with the fairing in a sorry state last year, it had been left in a damp garage for 4 years. It has an interpol fairing and handle bars which makes it feel really differnt to the naked bike.
    Anyone else got their old bikes out of winter storage yet? Heres to a hot summer and lots of m/c miles
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    fairly dreadful phone pic of my old Pervert just before it's MOT a couple of weeks back.

i even cleaned it

mine

Still under wraps just yet

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    my new-old AJS 58 16ms,
    Freedom is the path you make.

My 1990 cbr 600fl was brought out of hibernation last week, been there since ealy october. Started as soon as i remembered to turn the fuel tap on

It's not a classic in the true sense, unlike all your bikes

But i was only 9 when it was first registered, possibly a future classic

this is it as it is now

And when i first got it, wheels were chipped, number plate bracket was fooked, as was the fairings. Everything important was good tho.

Just coming up to 35k now Next winter the subfame's coming off for a powdercoat, might do the swingarm and the forks as well. Hell, may as well do the frame

[edit] Anyone know where i can get some orignal cbr 600fl footpegs from, the originals were worn out

My favorite bike

I just waked it up yesteday

A+ Pogo

Love those Norton Rotary's. My CB750 is still in bits. I've just bought 2 more, to be used for spare parts, I'll probably end up with one mint and another as a passable runner and one for scrap.

Quote Originally Posted by GEOFFREY DEACON View Post
    my new-old AJS 58 16ms,
    Crackin bike sold mine to geriatric germ a while ago, toured lakes, scotland, etc every bit as comfortable as a GS a much under rated bike, nice to see

Old boiled sweet Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Bought her new in 1975. Sold my 1973 Commando to this guy on the condition we ride up to Reading on it to fetch the new bike and do the deal there. It pissed down with rain all the way there and back and I was terrified as I had concerns about the Jap rubber tyres on the Z1 - the Norton had Avons on it. Approaching a sharp right bend near Somerton on the way back the poor fella who'd bought the Norton off me lost the back end and down he went. Up to now the Commando had never been dropped and was pristine. Fortunately the damage was limited to a snapped footrest. I kept the original tyres until they wore out - they weren't as bad as most reports made out.

Other bikes have come and gone but 'Humbug' still remains.

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post

not quite all of her by the look of it. very nice though.

My old girl - under going a little work!

Has tha nowt moist?

And just how many years did you ride it for with the rear indicators on back to front?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Farmer View Post
    And just how many years did you ride it for with the rear indicators on back to front?
    For as long as I've been riding using just the front wheel!
    Has tha nowt moist?

My Kettle. Sadly languishing in the back of the garage waiting for me to get the inclination to get it running again... I have a few packing cases of bits but am too fat and lazy to get off my arse and sort it out.

At lease I admit it!

Quote Originally Posted by Humbug View Post

The pipes, front guard and rack really spoil that bike. Get it sorted before the Classic Jap brigade find you.
    Why so serious ?

Old boiled sweet Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeggy View Post
    The pipes, front guard and rack really spoil that bike. Get it sorted before the Classic Jap brigade find you.
    The rack I made myself as I needed it for going on holiday. But it's now gone and been replaced with the original grab rail you'll be pleased to know.

The pipes were bought because they were available at the right price (£150 ISTR). I'd like a set of new originals but they are about £900, but I was never completely sure about them as they did have that ugly seam along the top and bottom. They also caused the original rear mudguard to rot out. The one fitted came from a Z1-R and will never rot. The front was also badly rusted and has a few little dings in it so I had it sprayed until I can afford a replacement - but I don't mind it in black as it suits the rest of the bike.

Cookie,

I know it's not original but I think she still looks pretty. Like your Convert BTW - I know of another one up this way.

It also puzzles me why when it comes to buying new bikes we spend the earth on customising/changing them to suit us but when it comes to old bikes we spend another earthly amount on putting them back to original so they look exactly the same as another restored one. Why?

PS When the anoraks tell me what is wrong about my bike I just tell them it's mine and I can do what I like (especially after 32 years of ownership)!!! (This is not intentioned for Smeggy)!

PPS Who the feck are the Classic Jap brigade?

Page 1 of 48 12311 ... LastLast