BMW Off Road Course - TIPS!

You must have some previous experience because normally you are required to start with level 1.

You might consider staying at The Abergrave Inn where the evening meals is normally arranged on the first night.

I'm looking forward to doing their Brecons Adventure in April.

Thanks for the advice.
I'm not quite starting from scratch, perhaps about a couple of thou' above that :aidan

Just finished Level 2

After 40 years of road riding this is in a different league. Learnt tons.
Just one word..
"Awesome"

After 40 years of road riding this is in a different league. Learnt tons.
Just one word..
"Awesome"
You can come and join us off road on your GS when you get back home if you fancy it.

Thanks Smug, appreciate the offer.

I'll need to think about some off road tyres beforehand though.

Booked in for 23/24 sept.
Level 1.
Can't wait.

I think I must be the only person in the world ever who had a go at the off road skills course and didn't like it. Got wrongly advised during the booking process and ended up doing level 1 foundation even though I hadn't done level 1 before. Didn't really get anything out of day 1 and didn't bother going back for day 2. I get that I'm in a minority of one on this, fire away :D

I'm booked in for level 1 this summer and am a bit anxious about it, having almost no off-road experience and being unfit, overweight and over 60. Still, in for a penny and all that.

jtb, if it's any consolation, I didn't enjoy the Ron Haslam Race School at Donington. No real instruction, just follow-my-leader and do it all at the instructor's pace. It was quite good to ride the circuit but I quickly found out that racing isn't for me.

I'm booked in for level 1 this summer and am a bit anxious about it, having almost no off-road experience and being unfit, overweight and over 60. Still, in for a penny and all that.

jtb, if it's any consolation, I didn't enjoy the Ron Haslam Race School at Donington. No real instruction, just follow-my-leader and do it all at the instructor's pace. It was quite good to ride the circuit but I quickly found out that racing isn't for me.

Get a bit of training in if you can - picking up a 1200GS can be tiring! For a race school, California Superbikes is very good. Very well structured,with classroom sessions followed by track sessions practicing the thing you just learnt. Helps your road riding no end.

Don't be anxious about it, in my group last week about half of them were absolute total novices off-road. I got the impression that a number of people on the course were quite new to motorcycling in general; one guy managed to drop the R1200 en route out of the car park at ORS. If you're comfortable on the road on your GS then this is a big advantage. Being used to standing up on the pegs helps because you'll be doing this all day.

They go on *a lot* about how you'll be wet through with sweat by the end of the day, but I found this to be total bollocks. I was freezing most of the time, and I didn't find the exercises that strenuous. I kept the liner in my jacket, and two thermal base layers on. However it is undoubtedly a muddy place, so take gear that can get filthy. A lot of the participants turned up in what looked like brand new full MX gear; a bit intimidating until you realise that they've just gone out and bought all the stuff the day before, and have never used it in the wild. I'd suggest organising your accommodation as soon as you've booked the course, I didn't and ended up staying in Swansea which wasn't a great idea. They organise a group meal on the evening of day 1 but enforced group jollity with strangers isn't my idea of fun and I didn't go - but if you want to take part, you probably need to stay near or at the venue (the Abercrave Inn).
One more thing - if I was doing this again (I'm not) I'd take either a tailpack or a small backpack, useful to keep a small bottle of water in, and to add/remove layers if you do get cold/warm. You do not need a camelback. They say their van travels up to the site, but most of the time you're not near it so it's better to be self-sufficient.

Having done level 1,2 and 3, and ridden GS's and KTM adventure bikes off road in the UK and abroad, here are my thoughts;

1) In normal weather (anything above 5C) expect to get hot. I've seen people swathed in thermals boiling their own heads off.
2) DO take a camelback/rucksack, dehydration will debilitate you otherwise. Don't use a tail pack, if you can fit it the the bike you'll probably lose it, and it doesn't help when you are trying to swing your leg up hill over the bike!
3) The evening meal is worthwhile, the instructors are very amenable to a chat and have lots of interesting stories

Don't be anxious about it, in my group last week about half of them were absolute total novices off-road. I got the impression that a number of people on the course were quite new to motorcycling in general; one guy managed to drop the R1200 en route out of the car park at ORS. If you're comfortable on the road on your GS then this is a big advantage. Being used to standing up on the pegs helps because you'll be doing this all day.

They go on *a lot* about how you'll be wet through with sweat by the end of the day, but I found this to be total bollocks. I was freezing most of the time, and I didn't find the exercises that strenuous. I kept the liner in my jacket, and two thermal base layers on. However it is undoubtedly a muddy place, so take gear that can get filthy. A lot of the participants turned up in what looked like brand new full MX gear; a bit intimidating until you realise that they've just gone out and bought all the stuff the day before, and have never used it in the wild. I'd suggest organising your accommodation as soon as you've booked the course, I didn't and ended up staying in Swansea which wasn't a great idea. They organise a group meal on the evening of day 1 but enforced group jollity with strangers isn't my idea of fun and I didn't go - but if you want to take part, you probably need to stay near or at the venue (the Abercrave Inn).
One more thing - if I was doing this again (I'm not) I'd take either a tailpack or a small backpack, useful to keep a small bottle of water in, and to add/remove layers if you do get cold/warm. You do not need a camelback. They say their van travels up to the site, but most of the time you're not near it so it's better to be self-sufficient.

Thanks for the advice, chaps. I think I've got it narrowed down to the following:-

1. I'll get too hot, or I won't
2. I need a camelback, or I don't

I'm booked into the Old Tredegar, so no worries there. I'm hoping my Revit Airwave kit will do, along with a pair of hired boots and some vented gloves.

I'll try to remember to do a review in early August

My one piece of advice is don't travel down to the course by bike. You will probably not want to have to get on a bike at the end of the course. At least I didn't.:D

My one piece of advice is don't travel down to the course by bike. You will probably not want to have to get on a bike at the end of the course. At least I didn't.:D

I have booked an extra night at the b and b to give me a quiet evening before the ride back on the Monday. I'll pack some ibuprofen, too.

You've got it! Have a great time and report back!

Thanks for the advice, chaps. I think I've got it narrowed down to the following:-

1. I'll get too hot, or I won't
2. I need a camelback, or I don't

I'm booked into the Old Tredegar, so no worries there. I'm hoping my Revit Airwave kit will do, along with a pair of hired boots and some vented gloves.

I'll try to remember to do a review in early August

It's this weekend. I'm getting a bit anxious now. Anyone else going?

I'll ride up from Hampshire on Friday. It's about 175 miles and a good test for my new Sargent seat. Three nights at the Old Tredegar and a bimble home on Monday, hopefully not too bruised and battered.

Did a similar two day course with Triumph (200 yards from the Beemer base) a few months ago. Finished on the Sunday afternoon around 16:00hrs, changed into my road kit and then rode back to Glasgow. It's only 400 odd miles, what's the problem?

I have to say a Tiger 1200 is a bit too much for my skill level off road. The 800's were great.

I wish I had taken the bike at the weekend rather than try to get through the roadworks heading home in the car!

Great few days on the course and learned loads.

Back
Top Bottom