S/S HID Brackets for 1200 and ADV

Les Wassall

HiD50.com leading light in HiD
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Laser cut Stainless Steel HID brackets for the 1200 ADV now available, take into account the top engine bars, will take two ballast boxes.

1200GS bracket £25, 1200GS ADV £27 plus £2 postage per bracket (second class) in the UK.

Attachments

• 1200.JPG
    1200.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 856
  • adv.JPG
    adv.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 856
Howe do I get one?

Rod

If you were a site sponsor then you could PM Les and he would sort you out. Otherwise you'll have to wait till he answers that question himself.
Top bit of kit though (he's a bit anal about things our Les, so you know that it'll be right). :thumb2 :thumb2 :thumb2

Picture of one of Walter's excellent 50-watt ballast box's with my 35-watt Pilot ballast.

And a picture of the ballasts mounted on the bracket on a 1200.

Attachments

• twin.JPG
    twin.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 781
  • mount.JPG
    mount.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 771
Les,

If I were you (and you are concerned about giving your E-Mail address out) I would just set something like a hotmail or yahoo account up - you'll get lots of spam, but you can always change to a new address without hassle if it gets too bad (and the addresses are not geographic or particularly traceable).

I think you can have more than one, so you can have one for every occassion.

Any time I deal with someone new, I always give my Hotmail address úntil I 'know them' - I use it for online shopping also.

And a picture of the more used type 50 watt ballast which mounts with a cradle :thumb2

Attachments

• twwo type.JPG
    twwo type.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 753
Looking for advice from Les or Colebatch

I've got one of Les' Under-Beak HID Brackets (excellent bit of kit by the way (and cheap)!) and am looking for some advise from Les and/or Colebatch to make the installation easier/save so much trial fitting.

People have said not to allow the ballast go further back than the rear of the oil cooler (because, under heavy braking the forks could nit the Ballasts) - I presume that this is 'no further back than the rear of the bracket?

I have 2 options for miounting that I've thought of:

Option 1 fits the ballasts sideways such that the wiring (12V feed and output to HID burners) come out of the side (see pic 1)

Option 2 fits the ballasts such that the wiring comes out of the back (would be further back than the rear of the bracket, but would be between the fork stantions - If you'r braking that hard, you should be stearing straight ahead?) - this gives better weather protection (see pic 2)

My questions (to Les and Colebatch - and others who may have a view) are:
- are the ballasts far enough forward in option 1 and 2?
- which option do you think would work best?

These ballasts are for the Micro DE HID conversion, and I've not decided whether to use these 35W ones or Colebatch's (very bright) 50W ones.

All advice much appreciated.

Attachments

• Under Beak HID Ballast Option 1 Cropped.JPG
    Under Beak HID Ballast Option 1 Cropped.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 683
  • Under Beak HID Ballast Option 2 Cropped.JPG
    Under Beak HID Ballast Option 2 Cropped.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 675
Glad your pleased with the bracket :thumb2 ,
IMHO I would mount the hid's like in the two pictures on the thread, so that they use the holes which are there and are only half on the bracket plate (if that makes sense) putting the ballasts like in the picture you have, the ballasts look clear of the forks but under heavy braking the forks compress and move forward at the same time so if the ballasts are positioned using all the plate you could get contact.

If you want to site them further back, then tape them on and tie down the forks as much as you can then put the bars on full lock and push down hard as well, you will see then if they do or might make contact.

The safe option is to use the holes provided, but the choice is yours :thumb2

Excellent advice Les

and, yes, the bracket is an excellent piece of kit - well made, precise, and a very good price in to the bargain.

If any others with a 1200 GS or Adv want a way to mount HID ballasts, I would 100% recommend Les' bracket. I have 2 ballasts mounted behind the side panels using a costom bracket from the USofA (can't remember the supplier), but Les' bracket is way easier, and it dopesn't need modifying - I just 'rounded' the edges where it has been laser cut.

100% recommended if you're going the HID route ( which you should! with Colebatch's 50W HID's!)

I would run with Les' advice mate ... I actually have to move mine fwd a bit myself

Les,

Your standard GS brackets in Pic 1 and Pic 8 look slightly different (in the bend area) - mine is like the one in pic 8, I presume this is the later iteration?

Great bracket by the way (and fits with SW Motech tank bars with a slight alteration to the bars (depending how you mount the ballasts))

Les,

Your standard GS brackets in Pic 1 and Pic 8 look slightly different (in the bend area) - mine is like the one in pic 8, I presume this is the later iteration?

Great bracket by the way (and fits with SW Motech tank bars with a slight alteration to the bars (depending how you mount the ballasts))

Yes the one in pic 1 is the first one and they are now all bent right :ymca :D

:thumb2

A pair of the 50 watt Finned Ballasts mounted to a 1200 with a Migsel light bar mounted as well.

Attachments

• piict 063.JPG
    piict 063.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 473
  • piict 064.JPG
    piict 064.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 474
Hi Les, I'm very happy with my bracket thanks but have fitted an extra bracket from the beak fixing to the SS plate as i thought it was flapping around a bit. Have you had this issue and what have you done to resolve it if anything?

I just thought that it was moving too much and was moving the oil cooler.

Hi Les, I'm very happy with my bracket thanks but have fitted an extra bracket from the beak fixing to the SS plate as i thought it was flapping around a bit. Have you had this issue and what have you done to resolve it if anything?

I just thought that it was moving too much and was moving the oil cooler.

Not had any issues as the cooler and bracket are rubber mounted, and by the time the cables are secured there is next to no movement and what there is due to the rubber flexing and taking any vibration.
That is with the HiD kits from Colebatch, which kit do you have fitted?

Code:
Not had any issues
???

Les, you may recall we exchanged PMs on this very subject in mid May...I had exactly the same concerns.

Jinxit, I woul be very intersted to see whta you have done to stop the movement. I had someone stop me the other day to tell me my ballasts and bracket looked like they were about to fall off !

All the new ballasts now seem a lot lighter and much smaller so there is even less movement, all the HiD's I have fitted have very little movement, it's all about were you mount the ballast (holes in place) and how you tie them up which would make a difference to the movement, but after all that the strength in the bracket and the mounting point I can not see a problem.
If you ave any concerns sand me a picture so i can hacve a look how they are positioned.

Hi I am using Colebatch's ballasts the ones with the fins. I will post a pic at the weekend. (If i get time)

Back
Top Bottom