Stove fuel bottle carrying....

(RIP) Bobble

Toss'ed about a bit
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
More advice required please, first off I've recently bought an MSR dragonfly stove. I've also bought some S/H TT Zegas, the Zega came with a TT bottle holder, great for taking the fuel bottle (or so I thought:eek: ).

My question is when transporting the Stove / Fuel bottle, do you take the pump out of the bottle, or leave it in? only thinking that with the pump in, it leaves the inlet open for dirt to get in. If you take the pump out it's quite a hassle with fuel everywhere.:confused:

I will be travelling for a couple of weeks and moving camp nearly everyday so I just wondered how you carry yours?:rolleyes:

Get a second bottle, cheap enough from most camping/outdoor shops.

I leave one on the cooker and one on the pannier. I fill/keep filled the one on the pannier and use it to re-fill the one on the cooker.

I've never removed the one on the cooker except to re-fill it. No leaks, no problems. Just make sure that you have a half decent bag for it when travelling.

I use a Primus pump in an MSR bottle. The hose disconnects at the bottle and is sealed by a valve. I just put the bottle in a pannier. I've used an MSR Whisperlight in the past too and I don't recall having any problems leaving the pump in the bottle.

M

Get a second bottle, cheap enough from most camping/outdoor shops.

I leave one on the cooker and one on the pannier. I fill/keep filled the one on the pannier and use it to re-fill the one on the cooker.

I've never removed the one on the cooker except to re-fill it. No leaks, no problems. Just make sure that you have a half decent bag for it when travelling.

Good idea Mike, I didn't think about leaving it attached to the stove, just presumed it would be taken apart for easier packing / less space taken. Luckily I've got a couple of bottle's.

I use a Primus pump in an MSR bottle. The hose disconnects at the bottle and is sealed by a valve. I just put the bottle in a pannier. I've used an MSR Whisperlight in the past too and I don't recall having any problems leaving the pump in the bottle.

It's a pity MSR didn't think about a QD Valve.

Thank's :thumb2

I generally just leave the pump in the bottle. The only thing I do is blow the pressure down before putting it in the pannier. I also wrap the thing in a couple of plastic bags mainly to stop the smell.

Also carry a small length of tubing to siphon from the tank.

Back
Top Bottom