Stereo Bluetooth headset

Parky

Reaction score
I have just bought a Zumo 550, it's a really great bit of kit and I am now thinking about buying a bluetooth headset. I have seen recommendations for the Scala headset, but it looks to have only one earpiece, so I guess it must be mono, which is a bit too 1960's for playing MP3s.

Does anyone know of a headset that is stereo, or if you can add an extra earpiece to the Scala, the one that incorporates an FM radio seems to have two earpieces.

Cheers.

Are you in a hurry to get something right this instant..?

It may be worth your while waiting until Intaride start to ship out their latest kit which includes Bluetooth plus their own wireless system using a different protocol to Bluetooth for the connection between helmet and 'Hub' within the next few weeks.......

I have the Scala headset, tbh the volume is just not up to it if you wear earplugs, but I believe they are bringing out a stereo setup, in fact it could already be available. Might be worth checking. I'm also interested in the Intaride product but don't really want to spend more dosh if it doesn't deliver on the volume stakes.

JDH

I'm also interested in the Intaride product but don't really want to spend more dosh if it doesn't deliver on the volume stakes.

Volume is relative I guess...if you invested in some in-ear monitors, you'd be able to keep the volume levels relatively low, certainly below any sort of level that would be damaging your hearing anyway..;)

Are you in a hurry to get something right this instant..?

It may be worth your while waiting until Intaride start to ship out their latest kit which includes Bluetooth plus their own wireless system using a different protocol to Bluetooth for the connection between helmet and 'Hub' within the next few weeks.......

Thanks for that. I'm not in a hurry, although the Intaride is a bit more than I have to spend at £250 plus £180 for the Evo intercom, having just paid £480 for the Zumo. I think I'll leave it a while and see if Scala bring a stereo headset out.

I use these, cheap and cheerful stereo BT headset to listen to music on the commute. Not perfect but they fit in my lid well and have just enough volume to be effective when wearing earplugs. Sound quality is good too. I can't answer the phone when it rings as the mic is useless when fitted in the lid. Not that I would want to answer it when riding anyway, driving and talking on the mobile is for dummies who think they can multitask ;)

I was under the impression that Garmins GPS use bluetooth V1 - output is mono only. For stereo bluetooth, bluetooth standard V2 or above is required. To get stereo on a Garmin GPS requires plugging a bluetooth adapter into the 3.5mm output jack.

I'm trying to buy this Plantronics Pulsar 260 headset at the moment. It's 'in ear' but has a standard 3.5mm jack if you want to swap the headphones for something more bike safe.
It's 45 quid + delivery on Expansys.
A decent piece of kit..

*Edit*: It's actually a 2.5mm jack. Oh and you could also use this to route the directions to your car stereo if it has a 2.5mm/3.5mm input, when you're cage-bound.

The Zumo doesn't support the A2DP Bluetooth profile and never will. So no stereo anything. You're best hard wiring some speakers to the Audio Out jack....

I have a 2820 and I've found that bassmonster in-helmet speakers and a curly lead with a right angled 3.5 plug works well. I wear custom moulded earplugs when I ride and the sound from the 2820 with this set up is OK up to 70.

I do want to try some custom moulded plugs with the tiny little speakers built in but they are pretty expensive £200+

To get stereo on a Garmin GPS requires plugging a bluetooth adapter into the 3.5mm output jack.

Just what I am looking for. A mate has an Interphone bluetooth bike headset and a Tom-Tom to get the directions. It also pairs to other of the same make to make a bike to bike intercom and also answers the phone.

However, I have a Garmin that doesn't naturally bluetooth, so this bit caught my eye... bluetooth adfapter to take jack plug output and bluetooth it? Clues?

Just what I am looking for. A mate has an Interphone bluetooth bike headset and a Tom-Tom to get the directions. It also pairs to other of the same make to make a bike to bike intercom and also answers the phone.

However, I have a Garmin that doesn't naturally bluetooth, so this bit caught my eye... bluetooth adfapter to take jack plug output and bluetooth it?

Clues?

This has come up within the last two months or so -search in the GPS section using "Halfords" and "£14.99" - not sure that it would handle stereo tho'

I have just bought a Zumo 550, it's a really great bit of kit and I am now thinking about buying a bluetooth headset. I have seen recommendations for the Scala headset, but it looks to have only one earpiece, so I guess it must be mono, which is a bit too 1960's for playing MP3s.

Does anyone know of a headset that is stereo, or if you can add an extra earpiece to the Scala, the one that incorporates an FM radio seems to have two earpieces.

Cheers.

Hi Parky,

I have a ScalaRider the ear piece on the Scala is not great so I removed it and replaced it with 2 earphones from a set of stereo headphones from my Ipod. Obviously the sound qualtiy is not true stereo but I get the same sound to each ear making it much louder and clearer and better quality sound with more bass and less tin. Very easy to do all you need is solder and soldering iron..

Cheers

Ty

Thanks for that. I'm not in a hurry, although the Intaride is a bit more than I have to spend at £250 plus £180 for the Evo intercom, having just paid £480 for the Zumo. I think I'll leave it a while and see if Scala bring a stereo headset out.

Feck me that’s a lot of money just to be high tech and have no wires!

I bought a Starcom headset and Zumo 3.5/2.5 din lead for about £50 in total. It gives great music, clear phone conversations, clear directions.

But then again I would rather spend the £200 on riding my bike to somewhere exotic. (no not Southend)

Back
Top Bottom