Do you dress for visibility in the UK?

This is just what I happen to wear but I do like to ride with lights on. Bike colour probably helps too but as others have said in so many words, if they aint looking, they won't see you.

I have a seen a report ( I can't recall where) that gave satistical evidence that bright solid colour bikes (eg Yellow, red) are involved in fewer accidents..

I don't wear a hi-viz but do have reflective stripes on my black jacket. Each to their own w.r.t. what you wear but I have seen just as many hi-viz wearing riders involved in accidents as non hi-viz wearers. I do the A13 from Basildon to Isle-of-Dogs every day so a bike wreck is something I see at least once per week. Had my own last Thursday morning and am mildly bruised although my GTR needs some new plastic. On the A13 about 50% of riders wear hi-viz and there are so many that nobody notices them any more. I know I don't sometimes and I'm riding a bike, in hyper-alert mode and looking for them.

My theory is that if they can't see me they can't aim at me!
Paranoid? Nah, yer only paranoid if they are NOT out to get you! <LOL>

My wreck involved stupid me making an assumption that an MPV driver knew what she was doing.
She didn't (outside of a roundabout with no indicators flashing) so I bounced off her Picasso and fell over.

But then again, they're often in lane 3 at 65mph because they're overtaking some chump who's doing 55 in lane 2 - whilst lane 1 is empty for three miles <sigh>.

That's speciality British cock driving for you. I'll admit to regularly sitting in the inside lane of the A3 on my commute and passing dozens of cars at a time, sitting at 65 in the middle lane. And if you dare to flash time from behind to wake them up - you just get a load of abuse and finger, or worse and they then stamp on the braked just to screw you up.

I remember my early days of driving in France, and being horrified at having to do a long journey on a two lane motorway - my heart sank and I could see the hours stretching out ahead.

Of course, I now know that the French just cruise in the inside lane, nip out to overtake, and get straight back in again - hence a 2 lane French M-way carries about twice the traffic at twice the speed. Same in Italy.

I have seen just as many hi-viz wearing riders involved in accidents as non hi-viz wearers. I do the A13 from Basildon to Isle-of-Dogs every day so a bike wreck is something I see at least once per week.

No doubt because jsut as many h-v jackets ride like twats as without, and if you ride like a twat, a h-v jacket isn't going to help you.

I see a bloke on an R1 on my commute often. He wears a sam browne, and a hi-viz cover on his ruck-sack. And filters down any lane like he's at Mallory always at full tilt on the throttle/brakes. WTF :nenau

You don't need an IQ test to get a bike licence or a h-v jacket - that's the problem.

hi vis

Fom reading this thread there is a mixed view.
But as a hgv 1 driver, seeing a hi vis on a police officer or a 16 year old on his aprilla 50.or an old boy on his pride and joy. I see him, before he hears me.
I wear a hi-vis jacket when going to work at 3.45am as I dont think one light is good enough from my bike, even as a car driver. I put my main beam on just to see a head so as being a biker why not stand out and be seen when they approach me.
As a car driver as many of you are in the winter month's, what do you see first the young mum pushing the push chair or the head light of a biker from behind or from the side.
What ever you wear be seen be safe, as the sargent said in hill street blues "LETS BE CAREFUL OUT THERE"

The combination of my kilt and my peely-wally whiter than white legs is a damn sight more effective that any of yer day-glo nonsense :thumb

Mind you, the old cheeky chipolata can be a bit elusive after a winters ride :eek:

A lot of the responses seem to be based on purely subjective personal experience.

Just to throw something a bit more substantial into the mix, here are some links to more scientific studies of motorcycle conspicuity. They are however,mainly for Daytime Running Lights (DRL) not just Hi-Viz ...

1. ACEM study on motorcycle's visibility: http://tinyurl.com/3ywhr4

2. The Transport Research Laboratory report on DRL: http://tinyurl.com/2q7hdj

3. FEMA detailed position on Daytime Running Lights can be found following this link:
http://tinyurl.com/2r2oa3

4. MAG Response to the European Commission Consultation can be downloaded at http://tinyurl.com/3cwdsc

5. MAGs Document “How Close Is To Close” can be downloaded at http://tinyurl.com/2vcwbc

Funny how nobody has mentioned having an 'off' on a bendy country road on a winters evening. Will the car driver spot the unconscious rider lying in the road earlier if he/she is wearing Hi-Viz, or will they fail to stop in time and run them over ??

For the ridings Gods on this forum, even the best riders can come off, thats why they are called 'accidents'. One case where Hi-Viz can help IMHO.

Funny how nobody has mentioned having an 'off' on a bendy country road on a winters evening. Will the car driver spot the unconscious rider lying in the road earlier if he/she is wearing Hi-Viz, or will they fail to stop in time and run them over ??

For the ridings Gods on this forum, even the best riders can come off, thats why they are called 'accidents'. One case where Hi-Viz can help IMHO.

Do you also keep a life jacket under your seat in case you crash into a river? :rolleyes:

If your thought process when going out for a ride involves having an 'off', lying unconscious in the road and being run over by a car, I think you should sell the bike and hide under your bed for the foreseeable future. Oh, and take a hard hat in case the bed collapses on you ;)

Do you also keep a life jacket under your seat in case you crash into a river? :rolleyes:

If your thought process when going out for a ride involves having an 'off', lying unconscious in the road and being run over by a car, I think you should sell the bike and hide under your bed for the foreseeable future. Oh, and take a hard hat in case the bed collapses on you ;)

:thumb2 :thumb2

Or a parachute in case you go over a cliff? Rubber mororcycle gear in case you hit an electrified fence? Survival food in case you end up through the trees and can't crawl back to the road and raise the alarm?

Thirty years in the police and I never heard of the scenario of anyone being run over in the dark after coming off their 'bike!

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

'twas back in '63,the longest,coldest,whitest winter since 1947.(we had real snow,back then). The ol'fella,wearing his white boiler suit, had to walk to work.Alas,he never made it to work that day.

He was hit by a snow plough!

'twas back in '63,the longest,coldest,whitest winter since 1947.(we had real snow,back then). The ol'fella,wearing his white boiler suit, had to walk to work.Alas,he never made it to work that day.

A cautionary tale indeed. I shall be wearing all black today just in case there is a freak snow storm ;)

Oh dear!

I wuz riding my 350cc BSA B31 in the winter of '63... every day! Living at Doncaster, working at Rotherham and courting at Wakefield... an eternal triange indeed!

Stuffed newspapers down my front to keep warm, plastic 'look like leather' jacket, corduroy trousers, open face helmet :eek:

No reflective dayglo then... none since :rob

:beerjug:

www.adventure.gs

Back
Top Bottom