***Please Note*** you can not create threads directly in this section. This section is made up of threads that have been moved here from other areas of the site
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone had an indicator switch go on a GS (Solution)

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by roadrubber View Post
    That's it. My only wonder at this point is how waterproof this little switch is going to be without it's rubber shroud (may look into that if the need arises).
    fill the switch area full off vaseline Water ingress no longer an issue
    Oh Great and Wise Deity, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

Courage to change the things I can! And the wisdom to know the difference!

Maximum Mayhem Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    PM sent

2k R1150GS '05 MX-5 1.8
    Ok, so I could only be young once; but I can be immature forever!

visage77

Switches

Quote Originally Posted by kirky1298 View Post
    i,ve just had to order some of these switches so should have 4 going spare if anyone is interested , say £4 each delivered .
    cracking thread btw , well done lads
    Hiy a matey have you still got these switches going? if so i will take all 4 off you r hands as i am a bit cack handed at soldering? let me know how you want the cash and i will sort it??

Neil

I just ordered and received a couple of these switches

Next step, buy a new soldering iron or a fine tip for my existing one

Step 3 - practice soldering!

Thanks for the advice, Roadrubber and Jigweed!

This is what I do all day... www.weareremo.com

I have one of these switches surplus to requirements, £4.50 posted if anyone wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
    I have one of these switches surplus to requirements, £4.50 posted if anyone wants it.
    Sold

Great advise here

Switches have arrived, but the WD-40 I squirted into the switch the other weekend has obviously finally cleaned some of the gunk out as it's been working again the last few days

Ah well, I have them should I need them
    This is what I do all day... www.weareremo.com

Quote Originally Posted by jigweed View Post
    I bought the minimum quantity of these switches (6) two weeks ago. I can spare 3 if anyone wants them? That would allow one switch for each side and one extra in case you have an 'accident' when desoldering the PCB.

I have posted an ad in the FS&W section here:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...82#post2737082

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Quote Originally Posted by GlynnJ View Post
    I bought the minimum quantity of these switches (6) two weeks ago. I can spare 3 if anyone wants them? That would allow one switch for each side and one extra in case you have an 'accident' when desoldering the PCB.

I have posted an ad in the FS&W section here:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...82#post2737082
    Glynn, I'm desperate for some switches, my RH indicator has failed completely, could I please buy some from you? RichardTan600@GMail.com
    Thanks
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by BoxerTwinTwelve View Post
    Glynn, I'm desperate for some switches, my RH indicator has failed completely, could I please buy some from you? RichardTan600@GMail.com
    Thanks
    Richard
    Sorry, they were all sold within a day and I closed the For Sale thread.

You can by the minimum qty from Farnell (search the thread above for the link) and sell the ones you don't use. Getting the PCB off without frying the switch is quite tricky, so you might need the extra ones

Glynn

New Member (less than 15 Posts)
    Hi guys, if anyone is stuck for switches, I have a few spares which I can supply.
    RichardTan600@GMail.com

Indicator Woes

Spent the last week getting very frustrated with the indicators again.

Seems every winter the switches need to be flushed, cleaned and lubed in the hope that they will last, but having tried this twice this week in the evenings, I could not get them to function correctly.

I have no choice but to use the bike daily (my choice though!) so ended up having to ride up to Heathrow with no indicators, which I don't like. (Doesn't seem to worry most Cagers though)

Looked at this thread sometime ago but always shyed away from the thought of soldering some new switches in.

Anyway, bought some of these a while ago in anticipation http://uk.farnell.com/c-k-components...5?Ntt=178-0565 and decided to attempt the fix this afternoon.

Following the instructions here it really was a simple job, and would say to anyone suffering from these indicator woes to replace the switches.

I would offer the following additional advice:-

1. Fit the new switch to the white collar and then push the wires into their locating slots to lie next to the switch pins prior to soldering. The wires need to exit the switch at 90 degrees, which, if you attempt after soldering, may break a pin (It did to me!)
    2. Once soldered I used Araldite Rapide to fill in the underside of the collar.
    3. I cut the rubber boot from the new switch down, also removing the rubber 'top hat' to fit. This I also filled with Vaseline prior to pushing on to the switch. Hopefully this will keep any muck and moisture out.
    4. Since the new rubber boots are thicker than the old BMW ones I found the switches were activating by themselves. I solved this by paring off some of the plastic nodule from the switch actuator

I now have fully functioning indicators, and I have to say they the action is very smooth indeed. I just hope it lasts.

Best regards

Dazlove

Quote Originally Posted by Dazlove View Post
    Spent the last week getting very frustrated with the indicators again.

Seems every winter the switches need to be flushed, cleaned and lubed in the hope that they will last, but having tried this twice this week in the evenings, I could not get them to function correctly.

I have no choice but to use the bike daily (my choice though!) so ended up having to ride up to Heathrow with no indicators, which I don't like. (Doesn't seem to worry most Cagers though)

Looked at this thread sometime ago but always shyed away from the thought of soldering some new switches in.

Anyway, bought some of these a while ago in anticipation http://uk.farnell.com/c-k-components...5?Ntt=178-0565 and decided to attempt the fix this afternoon.

Following the instructions here it really was a simple job, and would say to anyone suffering from these indicator woes to replace the switches.

I would offer the following additional advice:-

1. Fit the new switch to the white collar and then push the wires into their locating slots to lie next to the switch pins prior to soldering. The wires need to exit the switch at 90 degrees, which, if you attempt after soldering, may break a pin (It did to me!)
    2. Once soldered I used Araldite Rapide to fill in the underside of the collar.
    3. I cut the rubber boot from the new switch down, also removing the rubber 'top hat' to fit. This I also filled with Vaseline prior to pushing on to the switch. Hopefully this will keep any muck and moisture out.
    4. Since the new rubber boots are thicker than the old BMW ones I found the switches were activating by themselves. I solved this by paring off some of the plastic nodule from the switch actuator

I now have fully functioning indicators, and I have to say they the action is very smooth indeed. I just hope it lasts.

Best regards

Dazlove
    Has this proved to be a good long term solution using the ESM K12 1 5N C microswitch?
    Getting really fed up with mine now as they work ok for months and then stop, a strip & clean gets them working again until the next time!

My left indicator switch has decided to call it a day

Looked at the Farnells site for a replacement switch £43.11 each

So I did a bit of searching & found this site http://uk.mouser.com/ProductDetail/C...sss9ITV5FFQ9q7

Now that's more palatable

G.

left one failed last week

so ive been sticking me arm out

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast