***Please Note*** you can not create threads directly in this section. This section is made up of threads that have been moved here from other areas of the site
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Anyone had an indicator switch go on a GS (Solution)

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I just completed my right hand indicator microswitch that stopped working.
    All I can say it is a fiddly job. The new microswitch when installed in the white collar stood about one mm above the level of the cancel button. So when installed, the orange indicator lever was depressing all the time.
    So, had to file a bit of the plastic node on the lever.
    Now it works OK and hopefully for another 13yrs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    A GOAL is an end toward which some specific effort is directed!
    Go forth and prosper!

Anyone have any contacts re. obtaining one of those replacement tactile micro-switches for the LH indicator ? Mine has just given up the ghost at 87K
    Great thread, very useful info.

Nice but unfortunate husband.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Anyone have any contacts re. obtaining one of those replacement tactile micro-switches for the LH indicator ? Mine has just given up the ghost at 87K
    Great thread, very useful info.
    Try here
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

Nice one
    Not too expensive either
    Cheers, Aidan

I did the right hand switch 3 months ago. Switch very sensitive with little tactile force to set it off.

Go forth and prosper!

If anyone's thinking of replacing a switch then make sure to order a couple. I managed to ruin one on my first attempt. Got there in the end though thanks to this thread.

Diamond, when you fitted the new microswitch into the original white housing, sealed it and returned it back in the switchgear harness, did it look a bit higher.
    I had to remove some of the plastic node on the orange lever as it was permanently engaged. Also, the switch has no tactile feeling when pressing the indicator on.

Go forth and prosper!

Don't know if it helps but when I bought some replacement switches for my '05 12GS, it was possible to buy switches with different 'push' strengths, all the same size

Quote Originally Posted by Rugged Path View Post
    Diamond, when you fitted the new microswitch into the original white housing, sealed it and returned it back in the switchgear harness, did it look a bit higher.
    I had to remove some of the plastic node on the orange lever as it was permanently engaged. Also, the switch has no tactile feeling when pressing the indicator on.

Once changed the switch definitely sits higher, enough that the indicator needs only a light touch to activate it.
    Wanted to gauge whether it might 'bed in' before shaving some off of the rear of the indicator button, although it's improved a little I think the button mod will be required.
    The action of the switch seems far softer than the OEM one with almost no tactile 'click' much the same as yours which can be a little disconcerting but I'm gradually getting used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Popell View Post
    Don't know if it helps but when I bought some replacement switches for my '05 12GS, it was possible to buy switches with different 'push' strengths, all the same size
    I used the above Ebay link to order mine, they only come in one type.
    Do you happen to have a link to the site where you ordered yours?

Interesting tip for those of you (like myself) with non ESA bikes. BMW very kindly included an ESA switch under the blanked out space where the button would have been so you'll not need to buy a switch.
    Alas I didn't check first.....

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond GSer View Post
    I used the above Ebay link to order mine, they only come in one type.
    Do you happen to have a link to the site where you ordered yours?
    Diamond, found some info, I bought them from Digikey in the states, ended up buying 10 off on the basis that I would melt a few with crap soldering technique. I had a few left which someone on here bought perhaps 2 years back.

and a spec sheet for the switched that show different push force values

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567