Anyone had an indicator switch go on a GS (Solution)

Indicator Woes

Spent the last week getting very frustrated with the indicators again.

Seems every winter the switches need to be flushed, cleaned and lubed in the hope that they will last, but having tried this twice this week in the evenings, I could not get them to function correctly.

I have no choice but to use the bike daily (my choice though!) so ended up having to ride up to Heathrow with no indicators, which I don't like. (Doesn't seem to worry most Cagers though)

Looked at this thread sometime ago but always shyed away from the thought of soldering some new switches in.

Anyway, bought some of these a while ago in anticipation http://uk.farnell.com/c-k-component...ule-single-ip65-w-cap/dp/1780565?Ntt=178-0565 and decided to attempt the fix this afternoon.

Following the instructions here it really was a simple job, and would say to anyone suffering from these indicator woes to replace the switches.

I would offer the following additional advice:-

1. Fit the new switch to the white collar and then push the wires into their locating slots to lie next to the switch pins prior to soldering. The wires need to exit the switch at 90 degrees, which, if you attempt after soldering, may break a pin (It did to me!)
2. Once soldered I used Araldite Rapide to fill in the underside of the collar.
3. I cut the rubber boot from the new switch down, also removing the rubber 'top hat' to fit. This I also filled with Vaseline prior to pushing on to the switch. Hopefully this will keep any muck and moisture out.
4. Since the new rubber boots are thicker than the old BMW ones I found the switches were activating by themselves. I solved this by paring off some of the plastic nodule from the switch actuator

I now have fully functioning indicators, and I have to say they the action is very smooth indeed. I just hope it lasts.

Best regards

Dazlove

Spent the last week getting very frustrated with the indicators again.

Seems every winter the switches need to be flushed, cleaned and lubed in the hope that they will last, but having tried this twice this week in the evenings, I could not get them to function correctly.

I have no choice but to use the bike daily (my choice though!) so ended up having to ride up to Heathrow with no indicators, which I don't like. (Doesn't seem to worry most Cagers though)

Looked at this thread sometime ago but always shyed away from the thought of soldering some new switches in.

Anyway, bought some of these a while ago in anticipation http://uk.farnell.com/c-k-component...ule-single-ip65-w-cap/dp/1780565?Ntt=178-0565 and decided to attempt the fix this afternoon.

Following the instructions here it really was a simple job, and would say to anyone suffering from these indicator woes to replace the switches.

I would offer the following additional advice:-

1. Fit the new switch to the white collar and then push the wires into their locating slots to lie next to the switch pins prior to soldering. The wires need to exit the switch at 90 degrees, which, if you attempt after soldering, may break a pin (It did to me!)
2. Once soldered I used Araldite Rapide to fill in the underside of the collar.
3. I cut the rubber boot from the new switch down, also removing the rubber 'top hat' to fit. This I also filled with Vaseline prior to pushing on to the switch. Hopefully this will keep any muck and moisture out.
4. Since the new rubber boots are thicker than the old BMW ones I found the switches were activating by themselves. I solved this by paring off some of the plastic nodule from the switch actuator

I now have fully functioning indicators, and I have to say they the action is very smooth indeed. I just hope it lasts.

Best regards

Dazlove

Has this proved to be a good long term solution using the ESM K12 1 5N C microswitch?:confused:
Getting really fed up with mine now as they work ok for months and then stop, a strip & clean gets them working again until the next time!

Lost my indicator cancel button yesterday, everytime I used the indicator I had to hit the hazzard button to cancel them :)

this button, is it not just a case of taking the button apart and cleaning the contacts?
I've not looked into yet. if the button can be pulled apart and contacted cleaned thought that would sort it.

wow, postage is little high, £12 for two to be delivered. Two is only £7 :)
Think I will order some anyway. Does it have the wires coming out of it or is it a case of soldering the wires inside? the picture shows wires coming out?

Nope there are two "prongs" that are divided by a plastic wafer when you push the button the plastic slides down and the two prongs contact each other and a circuit is made

They are very flimsy and do not stand being twiddled or moved at all

What you can do is strip it down and if you are lucky the switch has water in it and the rubber sealing ring is perished or gone drying it out and filling with vaseline can be a good interim solution in fact my switches are all flooded with vaseline now :D :D :D Poor Design number 440 for 1200's but only poor design number 5 for 1150s

if it's full of blue pooh then it's shagged End Off

Either buy a used switch and replace BUT clean and vaseline everything before fitting or use a button from a damaged one to replace yours BUT not an ABS one they work back to front! making contact normally but breaking when the switch is pushed

Lost my indicator cancel button yesterday, everytime I used the indicator I had to hit the hazzard button to cancel them :)

this button, is it not just a case of taking the button apart and cleaning the contacts?
I've not looked into yet. if the button can be pulled apart and contacted cleaned thought that would sort it.

Does any other BMW have the same switches in, like the K for an example.
Doesn't matter about the switch just the buttons.

The secondhand world for GS Switchgears seems to be like Rocking Horse stuff

Hi all, I think I have this error now. Just came from BM today and they wanted 180 odd without labour to replace both. They didn't even open the switch as it was not covered under extended warranty...even though the bike is only 33 months old!

Can someone please tell me: can I just unscrew the 2 halves of the switch gear without anything wanting to spring out? I don't have a workshop so all work is in the bright sunshine :)...and on the pavement so would prefer to know if some little spring will erupt when I unscrew the 3 bolts of the switchgear. On both sides of bike as all indicators go intermittently andthen wont cancel.

I'll clean and grease it before proceeding with a replacement part (thanks to their £12 delivery) and my lack of soldering skill....
Thanks

I know what you mean, £12 for delivery! shocking
I'm keeping a look out for an old 1100 switch so I can use the internals in my 1150, think its the cheapest option

I know what you mean, £12 for delivery! shocking
I'm keeping a look out for an old 1100 switch so I can use the internals in my 1150, think its the cheapest option

thanks: Can someone please tell me: can I just unscrew the 2 halves of the switch gear without anything wanting to spring out? I don't have a workshop so all work is in the bright sunshine ...and on the pavement so would prefer to know if some little spring will erupt when I unscrew the 3 bolts of the switchgear. On both sides of bike as all indicators go intermittently andthen wont cancel.

thanks: Can someone please tell me: can I just unscrew the 2 halves of the switch gear without anything wanting to spring out? I don't have a workshop so all work is in the bright sunshine ...and on the pavement so would prefer to know if some little spring will erupt when I unscrew the 3 bolts of the switchgear. On both sides of bike as all indicators go intermittently andthen wont cancel.

if it's the same as mine (1150) then it will be fine, nothing pinged out of mine. Four screws and a couple of plastic planels and away you, all in bits :)
Simple design just shame the internal buttons are crap.

My right ones have now packed up for good :eek:

well if youre going to place an order with a £`12 delivery fee, let me know as I may also need to order some. Unless BMW offer a warranty replacement. BTW: how many inside switches for both left and right?
No ESA, just ABS, info and ASC on the bars. Guess right side is 2, left side anyone?

will do, striping mine down this weekend. but think mine are dead.
Not to keen on the soldering but but's a lot cheaper than buying a secondhand control :)

Not to keen on the soldering but but's a lot cheaper than buying a secondhand control :)

Take it easy when soldering Garvey as the wee switches melt very quickly if they get too hot. Don't ask how I know that. :blast

One of these is overkill and is to be avoided.

images

Having issues with the L/H indicator and found this thread which is handy :)

Ordered 4 switches from mouser.com end of last week and in the meantime have managed to source a complete switchgear set for the L/H side so all good and working............which is just as well as it appears that the micro switches are different on 850's than they are on the larger bikes....my fault for not checking.

Anyway........... I now have four switches sitting here that arrived today, still all wrapped up in the bubble wrap they came in, which cost £32 delivered

Anyone need some switches :)

Dont expect to get all the money back but how about £6.50 a switch........any takers??

Having issues with the L/H indicator and found this thread which is handy :)

Ordered 4 switches from mouser.com end of last week and in the meantime have managed to source a complete switchgear set for the L/H side so all good and working............which is just as well as it appears that the micro switches are different on 850's than they are on the larger bikes....my fault for not checking.

Anyway........... I now have four switches sitting here that arrived today, still all wrapped up in the bubble wrap they came in, which cost £32 delivered

Anyone need some switches :)

Dont expect to get all the money back but how about £6.50 a switch........any takers??

Hi,
Yes please, I'll take 2 if still available. Is PayPal Gift ok?
Cheers,
Mick

PS. You need to subscribe so you can send and receive PMs and access the Sale section; best £12 I've ever spent!

livin' the dream :)

Back
Top Bottom