Camping mat pump?

Rev Chuck

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Got my self inflating camping mat - has done the job in previous outings.
Took it out of hibernation today, and unrolled it from containing bag. It would seem that the self-inflating part does not want to reach to the end of the mat which has been rolled up the tightest. Yes, there is air in it, but not enough to "iron out the wrinkles".:(
My question is: Is there a particular type of pump with a wide mouthed adaptor that would allow the blowing of more "air" into the bag, without resorting to the damaging "lips to valve" scenario?
I'm sure I seen have seen John Armstrong or Steve Chip with such a pump in the past.
Hints, suggestons, and appropriate answers, appreciated.
TIA:beer:

What's wrong with "lips to valve"??

You're meant to store them unrolled as well.

try rolling from the top to force air down, it may have stuck due to dampness in the air from the last time you used it thats why i store mine unrolled for any length of time.

If you`re not going to use it for a while leave it unrolled & slide it underneath the bed & it should open up to it`s normal size as the foam uncompresses. Give it a blow up before you do this & leave the inflation valve open so it dries out the inside.

Then when it`s fixed don`t store it rolled up! :thumb Store your sleeping bag loosely rolled up too.

Is it a therma rest? as I've just wandered down found mine and open the valve and you can hear the air rushing in even with radio on! takes about 20 mins to fill up they say not to over inflate it as it damages the thing...

If in any doubt I'd leave it in airing cuboard with valve and up ward to allow moisture to escape up and out if it's damp. Hope that's of any use...

therma rests.

These should NOT be stored rolled up, if you give a few puffs mouth to valve it will come up as the others say leave it in the warm and all will be well. They warn agianst storing them rolled up, always have unrolled mine and never had a problem. Give it a blow and leave it all wil be well.
dave (out of puff) GS.:beer: :beer: :beer:

CAn I ask why they should not be stored rolled up as that is how I bought mine and many others I am sure. It never mentioned anywhere on the instructions about not keeping ot rolled up for storage??? I'm interested as I was just about to put mine away for a while "rolled up".

many thanks

AndyT

blow a ballon up a few times, let the air out leave it a few days and then try blowing it up again. moister in the air makes the rubber stick togeather:thumb2

CAn I ask why they should not be stored rolled up as that is how I bought mine and many others I am sure. It never mentioned anywhere on the instructions about not keeping ot rolled up for storage??? I'm interested as I was just about to put mine away for a while "rolled up".

many thanks

AndyT

As recommended by Thermarest themselves http://www.thermarest.com/faqs.aspx#2

Twas in my instruction book that came with the mat - have just checked. Sorryyyyyyy

Twas in my instruction book that came with the mat - have just checked. Sorryyyyyyy

My instruction book is rolled up in a bin somewhere in Holland....:eek:
Looks like I need to unroll it tonight :rolleyes:

Mine kinda fell off the back of a lorry, at least I got it second hand, without instructions. :eek

As recommended by Thermarest themselves http://www.thermarest.com/faqs.aspx#2

Thanks Big Lee. Don't know why I didn't do a search for this before.:blast Seems a lot of fuss created for no reason. Thanks for the replies:clap
:chuck :chuck

Back
Top Bottom